gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 04:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Curtis - Headset / Gyro issues
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Curtis - Headset / Gyro issues  (Read 1766 times)

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Curtis - Headset / Gyro issues
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Hi,

I am starting to build up my Curits Freestyler and at the first hurdle have stubbled !

I've fitted a Nikyo headset and Gyro2 however, I am having trouble with the length of the fork (Standard Curtis).  I can get the top nut on the the thread of the fork but it only goes on about 1 to 2 mm.

I didn't think that the gyro would make such a difference.  I am thinking that there are two ways around this:

1. Fit another top nut that is alot shallower. Not sure where i'l find one, and not sure of the implications of fitting one.

2. Ditch the gyro (brand new) and use ACS rotor instead as this appears to be an alternative

I would prefer option 1, so has anyone done this on their bike ?  If so, where can you get a suitable nut.

Also, I would post pitcures, but I am new to the forum and really need some guidance (do i have to have a photbucket account etc?).

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
Re: Curtis - Headset / Gyro issues
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:10 AM »
I'd ditch the gyro and put on the ACS rortor if you really have to use a rear brake de-tangler, it will be more era correct too.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:30 AM »
x2 what Del said... a gyro is a bit wrong on a Curtis... ACS Rotor or a Skyway Spinner.

Thread on posting pics here : http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=32.0  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:02 AM by ED209 »
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for the help.

Ditch the gyro it is then !

By the way, I will probably end offending alot of people on here becasue the plan is to get the bike to a state that I am happy with.  That means that there will be some new bits and pieces on the bike.  I am not a man of unlimited funds and to get everything 100% in terms of era correct and in the condition I would be happy with is going to break the bank.   That would be a long term goal, but for now, I will get it up and running, possibly with some newer items on it.

Apologies in advance and hope this doesn't offend too many.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Don't worry about offending anyone as it is not up to them.  It is your bike build it 100% to your needs/budget.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Don't worry about offending anyone as it is not up to them.  It is your bike build it 100% to your needs/budget.

WOAH shit yeah... totally agree 100% with the Stiddster... doowhatyalikewithyabuilds  :angel:

if you need a spinner and want to be riding thi bike then a gyro is a much better option... as they actually work! ACS Rotors and Skyway spinners don't do a lot to help braking!
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:31 PM »
I would rather keep the gyro as I like the look of them and have read they are better in operation.  i am thinking of trying to locate a thinner top nut in the first instance and take it from there (there does appear to be some options online, but you can never tell if they are going to be appropriate).  The bike will be to ride and will be given to my son when he is old enough.

I will let you know how it goes. 

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Here are some photos (hopefully):

bof

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Have you still got a washer under the top gyro plate , if so remove it this could give you the extra few threads you need  :daumenhoch:. are you sure the top cup is pushed all the way in  :)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Looks like the steerer tube has been cut down at some stage by the pics you`ve put up  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Curtis - Headset / Gyro issues

gfxgfx
gfx gfx