gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 10:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Cranks for a PK Ripper
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cranks for a PK Ripper  (Read 8141 times)

simo27

Cranks for a PK Ripper
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:45 PM »
Hi guys
Building up an early 80's ripper, what cranks does anyone recommend?  Was looking at the new Redline flight cranks (cant afford original early 80's ones!) any ideas?

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
Re: Cranks for a PK Ripper
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Alloy Frame......Alloy Cranks

Maxy Cross's  :daumenhoch:

:smitten:

Wouldnt put anything else on mine  ;)
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

simo27

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:00 PM »
Thanks bud, nothing much on ebay at mo, alans and vertego dont have much, anyone else good for old school parts?

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:09 PM »
original redline flights, only way to go, 400s or 401s

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:09 PM »
suntour vx are tasty and wont break the bank
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 11:11 PM »

got any better pics of the blue ripper andy? :smitten:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 11:24 PM »
Aerospeeds, dont be a fookin cheapskate  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 11:26 PM »
To be honest Simo ,

Don't put modern cranks on it  if you aren't gonna go down the dearer route

Some half  decent alloy  Suntour VX or Sugino Maxy cross could turn up for around £40/£50

or just as good put a minty one piece crank on , either way better putting genuine old school parts on it

if it's a  early looptail Ripper  :)

Good luck with your search

buy a site supporter tag and get a WANTED advert up  ;)

simo27

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Thanks guys, will get a site supporter tag. :)

simo27

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 11:43 PM »

Lovely bikes :daumenhoch:, dont think the missus will let us buy original 400's :-[

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Chris

If the flights are out of the price range then either a nice 1 piece or better still get a set of Campanolo's, TA's or Shimano 600's, they will all go really nice with an early Ripper.  Or go different and get some Cook Bros.

This is a set of Campagnolo's on my DeCoster....

Here are some Cook Bros on my Champion.....

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Mine with DX's

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Fook me those DX's look ace on a PK, ignore my choices Chris just get a set of DX's and you have a winner.

Nice bike Mr Dubber  :4_17_5:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 08:40 AM »
i have 400s on mine but a set of alloy sugino ones would look fine or a 1 piece.

simo27

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Chris

If the flights are out of the price range then either a nice 1 piece or better still get a set of Campanolo's, TA's or Shimano 600's, they will all go really nice with an early Ripper.  Or go different and get some Cook Bros.

This is a set of Campagnolo's on my DeCoster....

Here are some Cook Bros on my Champion.....

Thannks Sean, will go shopping....... :D

simo27

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Mine with DX's

Are they original DX's or a newer version, look quality!

sweetbeats

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Think Rippers look far more 80's with a good quality OPC...rarely seen a ripper with a 3 PC round our way back int Day.
Same with quads as well. :daumenhoch:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

simo27

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Think Rippers look far more 80's with a good quality OPC...rarely seen a ripper with a 3 PC round our way back int Day.
[/quote
Not many kids had rippers in Middlesbrough when I was a lad so only looked from a distance, I always presumed that they would have 3 pc cranks.  Ill see what I can find! 

simo27

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 10:12 AM »
If I was to go with a one piece crank would any american BB do or are they different to 3 pc crank bb's?

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 10:22 AM »
I had a 1 piece fitted on my one. It would have been nice to have a 3 piece like a Flight crank but as it was I had to just look at the bare frame for quite a few weeks before I could get some bits to build it !

A lot of the guys thought that the 3 piece cranks like the Maxy Cross and Suntour were a bit weak although this was mainly due to the axle nuts being kept tight. Once they came loose the alloy arm would get damaged and the cranks would be scrap.
Sugino did a crome moly 3 piece crank but I only saw 1 of these, stronger than an alloy one but probably heavier than a 1 piece.
Even a few of the guys that used to race and had Flight Cranks had problems with the pinch bolts coming loose. Riding round with the long allen keys in the pocket wasn't a very good idea !

In the end a lot just has a 1 piece crank, heavy but pretty indestructable. When I tidied up my Ripper a while back I fitted the Maxy Cross crank my Brother had on his bike.  The only problem I ever had was when using a coaster brake as the 1 piece crank spider used to move, not a problem with the 3 piece one.

To answer your question the bottom brackets are different and I think there were two thread sizes available for the 1 piece so make sure you get the right one.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:25 AM by SteveG »

Rodgy1970

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 10:23 AM »

Do think the DX's look really well but have to agree with you only bike I ever saw BITD with 3PC belonged to a sponsored rider.

simo27

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 01:44 PM »
I had a 1 piece fitted on my one. It would have been nice to have a 3 piece like a Flight crank but as it was I had to just look at the bare frame for quite a few weeks before I could get some bits to build it !

A lot of the guys thought that the 3 piece cranks like the Maxy Cross and Suntour were a bit weak although this was mainly due to the axle nuts being kept tight. Once they came loose the alloy arm would get damaged and the cranks would be scrap.
Sugino did a crome moly 3 piece crank but I only saw 1 of these, stronger than an alloy one but probably heavier than a 1 piece.
Even a few of the guys that used to race and had Flight Cranks had problems with the pinch bolts coming loose. Riding round with the long allen keys in the pocket wasn't a very good idea !

In the end a lot just has a 1 piece crank, heavy but pretty indestructable. When I tidied up my Ripper a while back I fitted the Maxy Cross crank my Brother had on his bike.  The only problem I ever had was when using a coaster brake as the 1 piece crank spider used to move, not a problem with the 3 piece one.

To answer your question the bottom brackets are different and I think there were two thread sizes available for the 1 piece so make sure you get the right one.
Thanks for the advice Steve, will keep a close eye on that, think I will go for a 1pc.  Will keep you posted!

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 06:38 PM »

Do think the DX's look really well but have to agree with you only bike I ever saw BITD with 3PC belonged to a sponsored rider.
most of us round my way had flights or profiles bitd after getting tired of bending OPCs
bit hard to see but, my ripper bitd with 185mm flights

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:40 PM by 58delray »

simo27

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Good photos!! What year was that ?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Cranks for a PK Ripper

gfxgfx
gfx gfx