gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:51 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bendix 76 coaster brake guru needed for help and advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bendix 76 coaster brake guru needed for help and advice  (Read 5798 times)

Threaders

Bendix 76 coaster brake guru needed for help and advice
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Hi. I have just got a front and rear set of tuff gen 1's with a bendix coaster brake on the rear wheel. I have read lots of posts on here and on bmx museum, but none are adressing the issues I have with my wheel. I am a new member, so your sympathy is needed here please.
When I put the rear wheel on the frame without attaching the brake arm to the chainstay and roll it around, the brake arm rotates with the wheel. If I attach the brake arm to the chainstay, the wheel wont move, ie: the brake arm is tightened to the hub and wont move sepeartley from the wheel. This isnt right is it?? Also the freewheel wont move seperate from the wheel also. I am guessing that the frewheel shouldnt move forward and maybe not move backwards either, but you should be able to coast. In which case the frewheel sould stay stationary whilst the wheel moves when your not peddaling if I am right.
All the parts seem to be there although I havent taken it apart yet so I am basically asking advice on what the problems might be. I have seen many posts with pics on re assembaly of these hubs but am a little tentative of taking one apart if it is not needed.
I would rather keep the coaster brake, but if its going to be a headache, then I know allansbmx still have the jb freewheel converters. would this be an easier option and do I need to buy another freewheel as well as the converter??
I have attached pics below of what I have .

I really would appreciate any help I rang round local bike shops, but no one can help. I also would like to thank everyone on here who I have bought things from. Cheers  ;) :) :) Ps, I will need things explaining in laymans terms if possible. Ta.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Bendix 76 coaster brake guru needed for help and advice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Sounds like it needs stripping, cleaning and re-greasing.  Very straight forward and anyone who knows how to use a spanner can do it.  Read this site http://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html for the low down on how to it.  Bookmark the site too as it is SO helpful on anything else bike related  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

antiquebmx

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:09 PM »
yeah sounds like that, or it could just be too tight, try and loosen arm side lock nut a bit, without making wheel wobbly

If not need to take complete hub out and clean, regrease. check cones etc for wear.

NOTE - the cones etc will drop out so make sure you note how they sat in the hub.

its common for these to lock up ive done a couple of them

Threaders

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Thanks for your advice. I was hoping to avoid stripping, but if thats the way to go, then I will do it. I will post pics on here of my progress as now doubt stripping will raise further issues. Check the post tomorow to see what a mess I get into :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks again for your help, Jonathan.

Threaders

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Forgot to ask can you recomend a type of grease to use. I have heard it has to be high temp so any product advice would be cool. Thanks

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Forgot to ask can you recomend a type of grease to use. I have heard it has to be high temp so any product advice would be cool. Thanks

Any high temp motor grease will do, I think Castrol do a pretty good one for about a fiver from Halfrauds iirc  :daumenhoch:.

Welcome to the site btw, hang around and enjoy it; it's a great place for info and advice as well as a good laugh  ;).

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Threaders

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Thanks for that. I also needed to ask one more thing. When I have stripped and regreased everything and put back together, will the freewheel and brake arm be able to move seperatley from the wheel?? I guess the thing is how will I know that its in good working order as I have never had one before. I will put up pics tomorrow of progress for those interested. Many thanks, Jonathan.

antiquebmx

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:01 PM »
right its been a while and without looking at one

there are moving parts of the wheel - hub, spokes, rim, freewheel

non moving parts axle, cones

so the braking cones will either push the hub when pedalling forwards or brake the hub when pedalling backwards

so if you turn the freewheel forwards there should be a short gap then will engage and turn the wheel.  No pressure and the wheel should turn and freewheel stay stationary ( basically the cones in central position not touching hub)

then if you turn freewheel back again a short gap for the cones to engage the hub to brake

the arm is part of the axle so should not turn with the wheel, its just used as a lever force when pedalling back

someone help me out here if im not correct

cheers

Threaders

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Thanks man, thats the sort of info I have been after although could you tell me what the cones are?? Verry sorry for my ignorance and your help and time is apreciated.

antiquebmx

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 04:32 PM »
there are different types of coasters but in your case its brake shoes and clutch (that acts like a cone)

see this link it will help explain better than me

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=79677

Threaders

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Thanks antiquebmx, I have seen that thread, but will study it more closely tomorrow when I start. I have also seen some good info on troubleshooters.com (there is a link on the sheldon brown website). I also found this pic which makes things a bit clearer.

I will post up tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Thanks, Jonathan

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 08:04 PM »
sounds like someone before you may have stripped it and not put it back right, its dead easy after you have done a couple and really can only go back one way,it should at least be able to turn a bit with out the brake arm moving, if not my bet its not been built right.... ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Threaders

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Right. Of downstairs to the kithchen. Have cleaned the wheel, got the grease and it is now ready for dissasembaly. Will keep you posted. Thanks everyone.

Threaders

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 02:01 PM »
Ok. Maybe I am speaking to soon, but I have taken it apart and cleaned /  regreased and it didnt seem to be to bad a job at all :shocked:
I had to take it apart from the brake arm side as the sprocket nut would only undo to a certain point and everything seemes to be there.

I followed the link given on this thread to the bmx museum on reassembly and all seems to have gone smoothly. After putting back together, I can now hold the brake arm still and rotate the wheel. I can also hold the wheel still and rotate the axle. I can only move the freewheel half a turn each way. Is this normal?? I lossened it of a little after tightening it finger tight as stated in the thread. I havent a chainstay clamp yet so cant test it out. But if you guys have any other suggestions or advice on this let me know. Here are pics of Build and finished wheel

Thanks to antique bmx. Marty C and meticulous for getting back to me on this your advice and time have been much appreciated. Cheers.

antiquebmx

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 05:16 PM »
looking good do like these red tuffs I had a set but sold em  :buck2:

yeah I would just try it out, as it will prob be different when actually riding than just holding the wheel

then you can adjust as you feel

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bendix 76 coaster brake guru needed for help and advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx