gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 01, 2024, 06:59 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid school bar widths
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mid school bar widths  (Read 2409 times)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
Mid school bar widths
« on: December 17, 2010, 08:30 PM »
I know there was a trend for majorly cut down bars for mid school flatland bikes... but were mid school bar widths generally shorter than old school? and what size?
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

SaMAlex

Re: Mid school bar widths
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 08:35 PM »
I know there was a trend for majorly cut down bars for mid school flatland bikes... but were mid school bar widths generally shorter than old school? and what size?

Yes, they were mostly all tiny. mid to low 20s" wide were normal

gobshite

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:41 PM »
there was a myth floating around that narrow bars meant you could hop higher, i.e your hands being closer together focused the power when you pull up better,

and that wide bars gave you more control,

dunno,
not just flatland, tbh is was more of a street/park thing imo,

i remember seeing riders with bars cut down so much they held onto the bend and the lever was below the crossbar,

i used to get shit for my bars being too wide :-[

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:58 PM »
those LowDrags I got Phil to fix are currently 26.5" - so getting down a bit would be more 'of the era' and put less pressure on the extensions...

Dylan Thomas

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 09:09 PM »
i remember seeing riders with bars cut down so much they held onto the bend and the lever was below the crossbar,

There was an amazing photo of Jerry Galleys bike. It was his King in a bike test in RIde. He had 2 brake levers, Both below the cross bar. His bars were cut down so much that the grip flanges were touching the crossbar. RAD!!!!

I think the powerlite bars i have in my shed are under 20" wide. They werent mine, i always rode 26"ish wide. Ive only just moved up to 27" haha

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:12 PM »
This the One You mean Alex?

Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

nomad

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 04:12 PM »

There was an amazing photo of Jerry Galleys bike. It was his King in a bike test in RIde. He had 2 brake levers, Both below the cross bar. His bars were cut down so much that the grip flanges were touching the crossbar. RAD!!!!

I think the powerlite bars i have in my shed are under 20" wide. They werent mine, i always rode 26"ish wide. Ive only just moved up to 27" haha

I remember Jerrys bike having crazy cut down bars, and welded seat guts when he used to come to LOS.

I just bought a new school bike with the same issue.

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 09:56 PM »
This the One You mean Alex?

Yeah, thats totally the one. So I might have exaggerated a bit. The grips aint touching the crossbar and the levers aint under it, but they are still WELL cut down. The grips are well onto the bend. He still rode them like he rode every bike. SUCH a good rider!

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Well You wasn't too far out dude, the levers ARE on the cross bar!!! I think He rode those Powerlite bars cut down like that as well?! One of My fave riders, ever  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:36 PM »
One of My fave riders, ever  :daumenhoch:

With you on that one, for sure.
From the first time I saw him riding my local ramp at Oxford on a DP firebird with a 990 brake held on with jubilee clips  :shocked:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 11:04 PM »
I saw him at Corby the other week.  He's not been riding lately but I made him promise to come to Skaterham for a vert session sometime. hopefully we'll see him soon  :)

He remains the only rider I've ever seen shut an entire skatepark down. Every rider, skater and binliner all stood still while he rode. Leigh on Sea, late-ish 90s.  Ruler.

gobshite

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 12:13 AM »
fooking A-mazing rider.

way up there in my top ten all time favs.

this pic still hangs in a frame at the T-1 headquarters.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:20 AM by darksunday »

gobshite

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 12:19 AM »

shredder.
destroyer.
galley owns it.

nomad

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I saw him at Corby the other week.  He's not been riding lately but I made him promise to come to Skaterham for a vert session sometime. hopefully we'll see him soon  :)

He remains the only rider I've ever seen shut an entire skatepark down. Every rider, skater and binliner all stood still while he rode. Leigh on Sea, late-ish 90s.  Ruler.

around 1995 to 1997 he was there alot, as was I. He most certainly shut the place down everytime, literally tearing the place apart (LOS was a little rickaty back then)  :LolLolLolLol:

scott250

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25 PM »
I used to chop around 1" off the end of each side - mostly rode slam bars in the 90s, but I had haro knee savers and some GT bars at some point.  I tried some narrow bars, but found they gave me like a tennis elbow, so back to slams and left em uncut to this day.  I found xups easy with narrow bars, but thats about it + no tennis elbow these days.   Front end seems lighter with wider bars too.  But eye, most riders I knew in the 90s had em well cut down.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 07:11 AM »
thanks for all the feedback gents  :)

Dylan Thomas

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid school bar widths

gfxgfx
gfx gfx