gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 11:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Which Mongoose decals ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which Mongoose decals ?  (Read 4473 times)

dirtskirt

Which Mongoose decals ?
« on: November 07, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I have this m1 mongoose which i want add some old school flavour so what sort of decals do you reckon would suit best?  bearing in mind that it may get a white powder and i want to keep the head badge also add some different parts to suit .Opinions please....

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Which Mongoose decals ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:29 PM »
I'd say the Mongoose Californian decals would be about right and would give it some older school flavour  ;)

They are the last ones on this page:

http://www.vintagemongoose.com/frame/decals.php
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:33 PM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

dirtskirt

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Ok, those with the m1 written on the seat tube decal , what sort of year would that of been from, mines an 87.
Did any other models use a head badge rather than a decal do you know?

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:04 PM »
I think the headbadges ran from about 84 until early 87.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:00 AM »

Right then - first off don't take this the wrong way, but......

I've got to be honest and say that you have a pretty much complete original survivor there and it would be nicer to see it stripped down, cleaned and put back together maybe with some replacement tyres and grips and it would look great but you sound like you've made your mind up so hey-ho. Secondly i hate seeing bikes stickered up as something they are not - you may sticker it up as a cali and eventually get bored with it and sell it on and although you may be totally honest about the bike, the next guy may not be when he puts it up as an all tubes chr-mo cali rather than an all tubes HT steel M1  :-\

Anyway, that aside, it's your bike so here is some info for you.......

They did a 1985 cali which has the red/yellow decals with a headtube badge and they did it in white that year also. Problem being in 85 the headtube badge was riveted and couloured whereas yours will be black/silver and glued on.

Here's the headtube on one of my 85's :

Your best bet really is to go for the 1986 decals as the headtube was the same in 86 and 87.

Here is my 86 cali in case you are unsure what the 86 decals are like :

:)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

fmx

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Have a look at the link. I went through the same dilemma as yourself earlier this year and decided to go for the black and white colour scheme. Although I was pleased with the result, I wish I had taken john's advice and cleaned it up a bit and kept the original parts. I decided to sell it on ebay and for what it sold for, I wished I hadn't bothered. Obviously depends on what you're going to do with it, but if you intend to sell it on, then My advice would be to keep it as is.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=110037.0
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:57 AM by fmx »

dirtskirt

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Im toatally open to opinions and easily persuaded, I think your right to keep it original. Now do i keep as a survivor or have a new paint job and a clean up? oh yeah the bars have now been chromed and put on my curtis exp so i think i need another set.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:18 PM by dirtskirt »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Which Mongoose decals ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx