gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 04:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset Fitting?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset Fitting?  (Read 2114 times)

griff

Headset Fitting?
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:22 PM »
evening radsters

time for another newbie question... this time about headsets
got my beartrap II in the post today and have been hunting about looking for tips on how to fit this

so far have seen a youtube video with some bloke whacking one with a hammer, other sites described how to make a special tool for the job, along with shopping lists of parts to get from wickes
am thinking since I'm only planning on building one bike (really) I'd probably be better off just taking to a bike shop and have it done by an expert rather than making a tool to use just once or risk knackering my precious forks, unless of course it costs much more

anyone know if radbmx shop would do it? they're only about 10 mins drive from me I reckon but I couldn't see anything about servicing on their site

cheers

griff

PS I know you lot are probably going to take the piss out of me for not wanting to do this myself, but I promise to put all the other bits on ;D

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Headset Fitting?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Griff, I'm absolutley certain Radbmx shop would be happy to give you a hand with this...maybe a small donation there way ???
Its not to difficult to get the cups in yourself.....just take your time. got a rubber mallet available  :-\

griff

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:47 PM »
cool - don't mind paying just don't want to get ripped off in the town or get my lovely haro fooked up in halfords
plus I don't have a rubber mallet

I will wrap my precious cargo and take it up the road then  :)

cheers

griff

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:50 PM »
sent you a P.M

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:56 PM »
 :wtf:
this is the fun part..man up, get the biggest hammer you can find..AND FOOKIN twat IT >:D

griff

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:13 AM »
:wtf:
this is the fun part..man up, get the biggest hammer you can find..AND FOOKIN twat IT >:D

balls to that - I'm not going near my forks with a bloody hammer (would end up with an oval tube)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:00 AM »
I use a piece of threaded bar, some big washers and some nuts to put headset cups in.  When putting the headset bearing race on the forks I use a long piece of pipe which fits over the fork tube onto the race and then I tap the top with a hammer.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 11:36 AM »

As Sean (stidds) says above - home made press is the way  :daumenhoch:

Here's how I do it..........

1. Use a dremmel to clean the insides of the head tube / bottom bracket hanger of any overspray/debris/imperfections.
2. Pop the bearing cups in a food baggy and sit them in the freezer for a couple of hours.
3. Grease the head tube / bottom bracket hanger & the cups.
4. Give them a gentle tap with a rubber or wooden mallet to start them off.
5. Press them in using a home made press ( short length of 10mm threaded bar with some drilled thick plate and a couple of 10mm washers & nuts)

Simple  :)

As for the bearing race I've never had one that needed more than a gentle persuasion with a soft edged chisel and a little tap from a mallet - I like Sean's idea with the tube that fits over the steerer though ;)

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

griff

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice and especially to hutchman for the kind offer of help

All being well will have the thing in tonight :)

cheers

griff

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I tend to use the right tool for the job and I don't mean Pete Quad who in general is a right tool  :daumenhoch:  :LolLolLolLol:

A bearing press is worth the investment if you are planning on a few builds, I have one like this:

Works a treat all the time, every time  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:37 PM »
I tend to use the right tool for the job and I don't mean Pete Quad who in general is a right tool  :daumenhoch:  :LolLolLolLol:

A bearing press is worth the investment if you are planning on a few builds, I have one like this:

Works a treat all the time, every time  :daumenhoch:

i have a park tools press. well worth having  as marty has said if a few builds are planned :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Headset's on now! Buzzing as now the thing can stand up by itself it feels like I've got a bit of a bike, rather than just a few bits of a bike

and Hutchman is a top bloke  :daumenhoch: thanks again for helping me out

cheers all

griff

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:57 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Headset's on now! Buzzing as now the thing can stand up by itself it feels like I've got a bit of a bike, rather than just a few bits of a bike

and Hutchman is a top bloke  :daumenhoch: thanks again for helping me out

cheers all

griff

FEEL THE LOVE  ;D  :smitten:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 11:53 AM »
 ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset Fitting?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx