gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 03:41 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mongoose Menace
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mongoose Menace  (Read 4834 times)

DavS1

Mongoose Menace
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Hi, new to the forum and BMX's really...well not since I was a kid! i'm now 27  :-[

Anyway, I've had this Mongoose Menace bike since I was ~16 I bought it off a mate who'd had it for a few years before that, possibly 6 or so, so I guess it's around 16/17yrs (roughly) old which would make it a 1993/94 model?

Couple of pics how it sits just now:

What does F/W mean on the vertical tube?

I've never saw another like it, and i'd like to restore it, I 'think' I have the original brakes somewhere, but they may now be gone, got the original handle bars which need re-chromed.

Would just like to know if anyone knows exactly how old it is, any other pics/info would be good and where's the best place to get parts/decals from?

Once I do this, I'd really like to restore a Raleigh Ultra burner and/or a raleigh team burner PRO I think that's what it's called anyway, white/blue with white mag wheels...I remember finding one in a tip as a lad that my mate later wrecked and I ended up with the mag wheels :(

Cheers for any help,

David.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:32 PM by DavS1 »

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Mongoose Menace
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Wwelcome, your midlife crisis is starting a little earlier than most, but hey you'vwe found a home here.

As for your goose, looking in bmxmuseum it would appear that you have a 1992 menace 3. Last of the goose loopys by the look of it. I cant post a link as on a phone, but google bmx museum and search in the top right for 1992 mongoose menace and you will find some other examples

As for parts,

For nos parts you have

Alans bmx
Different path
Vert-ego

Ebay is the best source of used parts if you can pick through the sh1te
Also loads for sale on here

And if you want to do a burner then this isnt really the right forum, scuttle over to ralieghburner.com and all your wildest bank draining dreams are over there.

DavS1

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Cheers for the info :D

Is see what you mean on bike museum, are they just variations in colour etc on the the 1992 menace frame? what's the chances of finding another with my colour scheme?

Worth restoring you think? I probably will anyway, (keeping original paint as it's not bad) as I always liked the bike so it's worth more to me than if I were to sell it.

Thanks for the heads up on where to find parts, and RE the burner's I just assumed this place was BMX's of all kinds, but i'll be sure to check out the other forum, Was directed to this forum through a BMX old skool thread on a car forum of all places.

Thanks  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Cheers for the info :D

Is see what you mean on bike museum, are they just variations in colour etc on the the 1992 menace frame? what's the chances of finding another with my colour scheme?

Worth restoring you think? I probably will anyway, (keeping original paint as it's not bad) as I always liked the bike so it's worth more to me than if I were to sell it.

Thanks for the heads up on where to find parts, and RE the burner's I just assumed this place was BMX's of all kinds, but i'll be sure to check out the other forum, Was directed to this forum through a BMX old skool thread on a car forum of all places.

Thanks  :daumenhoch:

In my opinion every bmx is worth restoring. I've done a 1985 Woolworths/Toys R Us bike called a stinger aero made by lew ways of cannock, ive spent loads and its still only worth £50 tops :lol:

DavS1

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:01 PM »
Fair play! It does look pretty good :D

Are 90's bike's worth less than 80's? What's mine likely to be worth both restored and un restored?

And what's the deal with modifying, if you can't or dont want to use original parts and use newer or 'better' items, obviously detracts from originality but is it a 'no no' in the bike scene? :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:14 PM by DavS1 »

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:52 PM »
There are no rules, bu gernerally the old school bikes are worth more than mid school, but there are many exceptions to that rule. your goose i would be so  tempted to retro it as its a looptail, give it a late 80's feel, would be easy to achieve

DavS1

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 11:01 PM »
Yea it has got that older look about it I suppose, I'll have a look around for parts and see what I can come up with, thanks for all the advice :)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:11 PM »
here you go fella, you wanted an idea of its worth, one is about to end on ebay in chrome though, so slightly more desirable, currently at £89, good price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330488712215&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

DavS1

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 11:16 PM »
Hah. that's not too bad eh. that one does look a bit rougher than my frame! I'll get round to fixing mine up soon hopefully, got an engine to rebuild on my rs turbo first  :idiot2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mongoose Menace

gfxgfx
gfx gfx