gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  when restoring, how accurrate?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: when restoring, how accurrate?  (Read 1319 times)

ol-greg

when restoring, how accurrate?
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:53 AM »
hello good people.

i am currently restoring a kuwahara nova and wanted to know if its best to recreate exactly the factory spec that thee bike was sold with.  ie, if this nova original had black Ukai rims and black pedals etc etc.  would it be best to find the black true to factory parts or can i go all chrome?

me want bling.  i want to chrome this peach reet up so its shines as bright as my mangina!

so what do you think, original or chromed up bling-fest?  which would sell best (if i ever were to sell) and what would be best for show and tell.

thanks all!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: when restoring, how accurrate?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 10:31 AM »
It's all down to your personal preference. Some people are only truly happy with thier builds if they're 'factory'. Others prefer to be just 'era correct' and of course you could say 'fook it I'll build it how I want it'.

Either way with what you're looking for, it's going to be spendy. NOS Black UKAI rims are very hard to come by. Chroming rims is apparently very expensive because of polishing around the spoke holes.

I say, if you want bling, go bling. Otherwise you won't be happy :daumenhoch:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:34 AM »
Yep - what Moose said...do it the way that'll make you happy!

If you want bling, then bling it should be.

:daumenhoch:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:43 PM »
go bling...

dont worry about what youll get back, if i was to to that id never build anything.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Yea build it how YOU want and fook everyone else  ;D

Some will build strictly as it came from the factory , I have done this with my burners , it just seemed right to me :)

Some will keep it era correct with parts availiable when the frame was made , and to be honest most frame sets came as a frame and forks and not a whole bike , so anything is correct on these.

some will just do what the fook they like mix and match and enhance the original finnish to the liking of themselves , I guess this is really about choices and the fact that any bike is cool to someone and what i like some will not and vica versa.

and do not in anyway think about the value of an item in years to come , as its a collectors market and COULD collapse value wise at anytime , do it cos ya want to and dont break the bank doing it , after all its kids bikes not life or death

Rich   :)

Jazzchimp

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:04 PM »
Has to be factory ready for me, but like fruit says its down to the individual

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:05 PM »
def build it how it floats your boat
not many peeps had standard bikes for long BITD
so either way is good  :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:14 PM »
i just like to put the correct era parts on my builds.
there all out there if you look hard enough .
dave the bmxing gypo

slurp

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:14 PM »
i had the same debate with my build,in the end its your bike so do watcha like.after all if you bought a stock bike or f+f set bitd chances are components break,get up graded etc so bikes were all differant anyhow.so go bling and dont worry about resale value.....after all,financially old skool bmx is just like taking on another girlfriend. :daumenhoch:

ol-greg

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 03:00 PM »
B-LING
 :Great_Britain:

thanks everyone.  i am now decided that i will bling her up proper.  same parts but as chrome as they come :) 

daz bmx it!

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Build it as you like :daumenhoch: era correct is nice but as far as factory spec? in my case as soon as i got a new bike bitd i replaced most of the parts within a few hours or days to what i wanted anyway ;)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 04:41 PM »
I say build it how you want mate, Era correct is cool as no-one kept their bikes factory spec bitd as factory spec was usually crap.  But it is your bike and it is nobody else's business.

silentpartner

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 06:29 PM »
era correct is good, but colour and spec. is up to the individual. build it because you want to, not to make money. bmx is for life, not just for christmas.

alan  ;)

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 10:47 PM »
without wanting to sound like a sheep i'd go era correct  ;)
bitd i bought a Frame, then decided on Forks, stem, bars,cranks,pedals etc
my bikes then were about the parts i wanted at the time & today i think that still works!
at the end of the day its your bike dude, build it with parts you like  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  when restoring, how accurrate?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx