gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 02:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Set uP of Front Brake
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Set uP of Front Brake  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Set uP of Front Brake
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:09 PM »
Have a lovely Pro Neck Stem with hollow bolt which i'll be using on the latest little project,
This may be a daft question but I aint got a clue.
Have a Front MX 901 to fit but installing do i need to do anything different as the cable will br thread through the frame and will reappear below the brake its self...
Wot modification is required ???
Let the mocking begin  :-[  :buck2:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:12 PM by jamroll »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Set uP of Front Brake
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:16 PM »
you won't need any modifications at all.........but what you will need is to get shot of that 901 and look for a 880 or nippon (something like that) as these are designed to work with the cable routing up from the bottom.

i can't post pictures at work but i'm sure someone will bang one for you  :daumenhoch:

also regarding cable, you'll need to use a rear one (as it's longer) cut it to size and then once you've threaded the cable outer down and through your forks, spray a shed load of WD40 into the top, this will settle in the bend and help keep it running smooth  :daumenhoch:

davevilla

Re: Set uP of Front Brack
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Assuming the MX901 has a quick release you are probably going to have to lose that, or at least modify it as the brake cable will enter the caliper from underneath.  Some of the lads on here have made adjustments to MX1000 to accommodate a potts mod conversion, but a lot depends on whether you are going to ride or not. If the brake is going to be used in anger you may have to lose the QR from MX901  front (i.e. drill it out) and  use fittings to reverse how the cable will enter the caliper -  as you will probably want to be sure that the brake stops the wheel safely  :daumenhoch:

To avoid that you might want to get an fs880 caliper that will work with a potts mod without hassle.

Hope this helps

:)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:22 PM »
Thanks for all the pointers lads  :daumenhoch:
Appreciate the 901 aint the best....will try and get a 880 in Chrome  ::)
Anyone got one i can purchase ?????

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:24 PM »
also the issue with a 901 is that on most frames they do not fit underneath the down tube of the frame, thus making the whole potts mod thing pointless (sorry i have to say i'm not a 901 fan on the front)  ;)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 01:26 PM »
also the issue with a 901 is that on most frames they do not fit underneath the down tube of the frame, thus making the whole potts mod thing pointless (sorry i have to say i'm not a 901 fan on the front)  ;)

Rob, thx for the heads up....wish i posted now prior to buying the bloody things  ;D

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 02:28 PM »
Or go for an ACS 860 (thats what I would use over a DC caliper)  those 880s look like they're going to flex too much.

hello glen, where can i get some of these mate? be nice to get an old school bike with decent brakes before i get my  :-X sh new school bike
cheers
dave

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Set uP of Front Brake

gfxgfx
gfx gfx