gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 07:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Brake pads and rim surface finish????????
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brake pads and rim surface finish????????  (Read 1527 times)

Dr.Robotnik

Brake pads and rim surface finish????????
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Hi all,

Current set-up is a Odyssey Evo 2 up front and a GSport Ribcage, the rear is a Fly brake and an Araya Super 7X. Both the rims were chrome and have now flaked terribly (they flaked within a few months, now a year or so later it's very annoying) so I think I am going to steer away from Chrome rims this time (and the first time since 1996). They are also both bent so much that they rub which is really the only reason I am changing them.

I've been given a Odyssey Hazard in black and a Odyssey 7KA in black.

I have a couple of questions though because I'd like to have chrome braking performance. Should I "shine side"/mirror polish the braking surface?

My next question is what would be the best brake pad to use for either an anodised or polished surface? Everyone is into the clear pads now but their bikes sound like a hoard of angry geese. I'm not into that.

I want to do both nose picks and nose wheelies using the front brake (so would like both on/off stopping and modulation) and fuf's/abubacas on the rear (I don't use a rear brake for manuals) so just on/off there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: Brake pads and rim surface finish????????
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:28 PM »
 Maybe this`ll help? I`ve used the KoolStop Dual compounds on both anno & shineside rims and they`ve been great.
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=116398.0

gobshite

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49 PM »
bmx myth number 132...

"brakes work better with chrome rims."

muttley

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Clear pads.  :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:48 PM »
bmx myth number 132...
"brakes work better with chrome rims."

BELIEVE!!!!

Ive never felt a brake on a non chrome rim have the same "bite" as on a chrome rim.

(Im having all kinds of problems with my new rear brake at the moment so I should stay out of this  :-X)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Buy some tight pants and flourescent undies and take your brakes off all together, dont foget to grow a beard that looks like Gene Wilder's forehead  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I think it's all about the Gyro. They're the deciding factor.  It's a royal ballache to get good brakes on anno'd rims with a gyro. Possible of course, but a ballache.

Chrome rims let amateurs like me have good brakes with a gyro on.

As for those poxy clear pads... They definitely bite alright, but there's little feel to them, and that bloody noise.....

muttley

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Oh yeah i forgot to mention the audio part   :LolLolLolLol:  I built up a Sunday Pro the other day with a top of the range ody giro and the braking was superb!! And that was on those painted rims   ???  I guess using good quality bits helps too.  :daumenhoch:

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Thanks VOIVOID, I guess I'll try the KoolStop Dual compounds, perhaps.

Or I might splurge and get some Heatsink pads, but am not sure if they squeal to much like clears which I don't want.

http://www.heatsinkbikes.com/

I'd realy like some pads in replaceable holders...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Brake pads and rim surface finish????????

gfxgfx
gfx gfx