gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 12:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old School race at Peterbough
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old School race at Peterbough  (Read 5868 times)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Old School race at Peterbough
« on: April 24, 2006, 11:32 PM »
Just got the following e-mail from Alan Woods :

Hi Billy
I was just speaking to Chas Shrosbree, he is the father of our team riders, Arran Shrosbree. Anyway he was talking about doing something at Peterborough National as this is the club's 25th Anniversary. I told him about MK, but this is at the start of July and maybe some of you guys would be into doing some sort of display and fun race on the Saturday before the National. You should be able to see Chas' email address above <chas@cshrosbree.freeserve.co.uk> so let me know if you/we can do something.
Cheers
Alan.

on 24/4/06 00:31 pm, Chas Shrosbree at chas@cshrosbree.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

Alan

Peterborough Phantoms BMX Club are celebrating 25 years of BMX racing this year, and as part of our British Cycling National race on 22nd/23rd July were are looking to host an old school rally on the Saturday.

Initial word of mouth has generated a huge interest. Therefore I thought of you and your contacts and ideas for making this a great celebration of BMX racing.

Look forward to hearing from you, regards

Chas

www.peterboroughphantomsbmx.co.uk

Is there anybody local that could race on the Saturday ?

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

DR VINOAH

Re: Old School race at Peterbough
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 11:36 PM »
i would love to go and represent ,but got no car :'(

anyone going from essex?

pm me, cheers DR V

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 11:52 PM »
Bill ,

I was talking with Pete Kirk about this yesterday & he was going to introduce me to a woman who was helping organise this but he was so busy commentating etc etc ( he always has shed loads to do ) . One of the 30-39 Cruiser riders ( Mark Leach) also mentioned it to me , he started racing again last year after retiring in 87 like I did .

Is anyone who has an Old School racebike interested in doing some racing ?.

Matt

WindyMiller

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 09:28 AM »
The woman you were after is Jackie Smith, club secretary of the Peterborough Phantoms BMX Club. Contact details can be found at: http://www.phantomsbmx.ukonline.co.uk/contact.html

muttley

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 08:43 PM »
I'm in.

Sure we can get some OS racers to attend  ;)

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 02:53 PM »
I will be there.... :daumenhoch: If i remember Peterborough was one long assed track topped with loose cinder.

subwax

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 03:38 PM »
Thats about 15 minutes from home - would be great to come along and meet you guys.

Rooonga

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Peterborough was the 1st track I raced on when I got back into racing!

Has a mental 1st straight!

Wonder how the Torker would handle it???

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 03:13 PM »
An interesting question to ask if anyone fancies being involved in this is whether it is going to be either of the following ? :

1. A demonstration of Old School guys on Old School bikes

or

2. A demonstration of Old School guys on New School bikes

This question popped up last week when I first heard about this , it would need to be one or the other & not a mix where it involves ringers etc especially if guys are competitive (like they are ! ) .

This ringer mentality was experienced last year at the EA/SC Inter Regional at MK . 

Rooonga

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 03:17 PM »
I'd suggest it would have to be oldschool riders on oldschool bikes to keep it fair.

This just means we'd have to have some scrutineering for the bikes to ensure they are oldschool. (Ie caliper brakes/ quill stems etc.)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I'd suggest it would have to be oldschool riders on oldschool bikes to keep it fair.

This just means we'd have to have some scrutineering for the bikes to ensure they are oldschool. (Ie caliper brakes/ quill stems etc.)

I agree Rooonga but this is down to the organisers  :daumenhoch:

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 04:37 PM »
i dont understand this fairness thing between old and new school bikes. Is there a distinct advantage riding new school rides? The brakes are probably better but what else makes them faster?

Flemdog

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:10 PM »
The woman you were after is Jackie Smith, club secretary of the Peterborough Phantoms BMX Club. Contact details can be found at: http://www.phantomsbmx.ukonline.co.uk/contact.html
Can I use clips Chas..? ::)

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 07:22 PM »
its the angles and frame lengths, the strengh and stifness of both frame and components, jeez you could snap an old school bike in minutes going full on in a new school race, :knuppel2: plus we all realise that to smash into a lovingly restored 80s bike is a big no no , but guys on new school dont fully realise that a scratch in the name of competitiveness is not on.
 :D
in my book if i fall off of my own acord then fair enough :( , and to accidently hit someone or something is the risk you take :daumenhoch:, its why we have arsed and not arsed , theers no way i am going to race the quad with people who actually care that much about winning as the risk of collision is much higher.

I have felt like a freak on a silly old bike at some races where old and new mix , and dont want that to be the way i feel again.

I cant wait to show my bikes to people whe like to see them , its a great thing and well worth the effort, I will race / roll round a track , stopping for a fag half way round  if i am allowed too without fear of killing my bike for no reason

so roll on the times , cos to be asked to bring the old school , and to actually have a posse here at RAD that are respected enough to be asked is great , and a real step forward for the old farts on kids bikes

I am hounered to be asked as we all should , and will do my best to have some of this :)

Rich :)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Can I use clips Chas..? ::)

Now Now Flem stop stirring  :LolLolLolLol:

team_teapot

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 11:59 PM »
can i race with lock on grips? its just that my ame tri grips slip when wet.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 06:38 AM »
Arse!!!!
I am at a wedding in Finland that weekend   :tickedoff:
 :) DINGO :)

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 07:46 AM »

Can I use clips Chas..?

I would say you can, but only if they're old school clips :daumenhoch:  :2funny:

team_teapot

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 09:42 AM »
as that picture youve posted shows that they are toe clips then id say no. oldschool or not toe clips have always been banned. its just a shame the cheating kids cant get with it and use a normal pedal.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 10:01 AM »
can i race with lock on grips? its just that my ame tri grips slip when wet.

Rich ,

I have some really good parcel tape , we'll just tape your hands to the grips  :daumenhoch:

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 01:45 PM »
What happens if you bail and have toeclips?? Does your knee joint do a 360 if the foot wont come off the pedal. They sound dangerous as fook for BMX. I can see the advantage of having an upstroke as well as a downstroke, but surely the risk of maiming yourself is huge.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 02:25 PM »
I should be speaking to Jackie early next week hopefully , will then post more info   :daumenhoch: .

As a guide it could be demo racing & Show and Shine  :daumenhoch: .

se

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 05:15 PM »
Clips or no clips, the only way to make it fair for old school rides is to knock all them big jumps to two feet. 

Should be up for that weekend in July and bringing a few shiny bikes along.

As for the comment about old bikes being bendy I totally agree. Just took that Torker I built out for a rip and it's like riding a chrome plated rubber band. At least if you nosedive into a second double you can bounce right off it.

team_teapot

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 10:41 PM »
fatt whickham

is that the same parcel tape you use to tape you belly in with? if so im not sure id want you to risk running out. in fact im not sure id want to risk you running at all.

Rich

Jazzchimp

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 10:27 PM »
I'd love to have a bash. Thats if I can find Peterborough - it's in the middle of knowhere! :shocked:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old School race at Peterbough

gfxgfx
gfx gfx