gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 04:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Pg 7 update 22/6/11 Pics Added *
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Pg 7 update 22/6/11 Pics Added *  (Read 24132 times)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
Re: CW Cali Boulevard Resto
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 12:08 AM »
Can't wait to see this done  8)

Fingers crossed the chromers do a good job for you  ;)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: CW Cali Boulevard Resto
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Spoke with the polishers yesterday, said that the forks and frame have come up a fookin treat but were have some issues with the bars gettin into the tight spots  :-\
They are sending the Frame and Forks off tomorrow (Monday) to be chromed but are holding back the bars a day to do a little more work on them :smitten:
Mind this only come about after i pointed out that this little puppy could get them a load of work off you lot if it looks the bollox  ;)
They're still tellin me should be all done and ready for collection Wednesday  8)
Pics up Wednesday Night then before being boxed and sent to Dan for the Candy Thursday.
Finished up gettin the rear pegs, rims (araya 7x), Pro Neck Stem and Renthal seat post Chromed as well....guess I may as well get the Hubs done also  ;D
All In £200  :shocked:
Decals being done by Del at the moment  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:08 PM by jamroll »

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Updated...OUCH!!!!*
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Got to be honest....Ive been a little worried about the Custom Metal Polishers down in Pompey...were a little vague with figures for the work...One minute £250, Next Minute £200...Well I got a call today to say that all the bits will be ready for collection 2.00pm tomorrow  :daumenhoch: Wot i wasn't bankin on was that I need £385 to get my bits back  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:. Fook me!!
Now i asked for a definate price and my reciept say price required on it....Where do i stand here???

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 11:01 PM »

That is an ouch Al  :-\

Doubt there's much you can do without a written quote with a cheaper price written on it mate  :(

Have you seen the results ? Are you happy with the work ?

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33 PM »
Haven't seen the work, will do tomorrow when i collect. Had a chance toy get over the shock now and if they give me a breakdown of where the costs have gone I'll be a little more understanding.
Its just pissed me off a little that I've been chasing them for 2 weeks about getting the price cemented and they call me when all the work is done and its to late to do anything about it.
They've got me over a barrel really, I've spoken to them about it and there going to try to trim it a bit...I asked wot we could do for cash andwas told that was the cash price  :shocked:
The guy has said that he's amazed by the work though  ::)
If it looks as good as he says i'll be a bit happier, i just all the detail is still there (logos, serial number etc)
Bits i had done.
Frame, Forks and bars, - Polish & Chrome
Renthal Post - Polish & Chrome
Pro Neck Stem - Chrome
Tuff Neck Power Disc - Polish & Chrome
Pegs - Polish & Chrome
Araya 7x Rims - Polosh & Chrome

Actually, putting it all there I've had a shit load done...price doesn't looks so bad  ???
I'll post Pics up tomorrow  :coolsmiley: :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 12:30 AM »

I'll post Pics up tomorrow  :coolsmiley: :daumenhoch:

Look forward to that  :coolsmiley:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Got my bits back 2day...all the little bits are bang on, frame and forks are alright, the dull bits will cover with the candy. Bars may need a rethink.,was gonna leave chrome but not good enough. I'll put pics up when back from the pub!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Got my bits back 2day...all the little bits are bang on, frame and forks are alright, the dull bits will cover with the candy. Bars may need a rethink.,was gonna leave chrome but not good enough. I'll put pics up when back from the pub!

Sound like you are pleased but not ecstatic Al  :-\

Did you have a haggle with them on that high price then, with the work not being "perfect" ?  ???

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 11:27 PM »

Sound like you are pleased but not ecstatic Al  :-\

Did you have a haggle with them on that high price then, with the work not being "perfect" ?  ???

Jon, managed to get a £35 off  :shocked:, geezer was playing hard ball, packed up my bits and was heading back into his stockroom with them....had me over a barrel mate  :'(
I'm happy but can't help thinking for the money i paid i could have got a better job else where  :-\
Pics to follow shortly....give me 10 mins.  :daumenhoch:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 11:46 PM »
fooker that is mucka when you would expect them all to be 100% spot on for the money.
like you say.what can you do when the bastards have got your bits.
bad trick to pull though not giving you a price for deffo and then hitting you hard once they got ya parts.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 12:03 AM »
OK,
So went and got my bits today...previous additions to this thread tell the story  :-\
So I guess the pics of the good bits  :daumenhoch:
Frame & Forks

Pro Neck Stem

Tuf Neck Power Disc

Original CW Pegs

Freestyler Bars

Not So good Bits  :-\
Below Gusset

Near Rear Drop Outs
[
Underside of Bars

Araya 7x Rims are still wrapped...I'll stick pics up of them tomorra
I guess I'll have to see wot SBD can do...wot are you thought on the bars though and overall work ?
Cheers
Al
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:08 AM by jamroll »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 12:23 AM »
All in all stunning, mate. However I would think that the not so perfect spots on frame and bars stem from not so perfect handling by the chromers --- and for the money you payed, I thinl you can expect perfect treatment. So I'd take frame and bars back and ask them to redo them, as they are clearly not chromed perfectly. Say you only now realised how bad some spots really are.

Lets see what the other guys ssay ....  :-\

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Back from the Polish / Chromers...Pics added*
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 12:26 AM »

If you had just shown the first pics I'd have said it looks great but the second group of pics reveal a different story really  :(

For the money you've paid Al, I would not be completely satisfied and would be going back.

Did you get a proper receipt mate ?  ???

ozone

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 08:17 AM »
You must be gutted about that.  At that price, you should have had a better finish than that.  :'(  Did the chromers warn you that they would have problems in those tricky areas or did they say they everything would be fine?

It's always a gamble taking stuff to a chromer unless you know them or have had them recommended to you by someone in the know.  That's the only reason I thought the silver base coat + candy powder was the way to go.  I admire your dedication and I hope you get it sorted as the candy/chrome finish looked mint.   8)

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 09:39 AM »
I would be taking them right back to see what they have to say about it.  For the money you have paid it isn't good enough :10_2_12:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:00 PM by brettypeeps »

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Yeah got a hand written reciept, have spoken to them this morning, I basically told them that the finish just isn't up to standard for the show build finish I had requested initially, I don't think they were surprised to hear back from me to be honest, frame and bars going back to them on Wednesday next week  :-\
I was hoping to have this thing built by then ...pain in the arse all this, cause I guess they could sit on this for weeks now  :2gunsfiring_v1:
I'll keep you in the loop.
Oh yeah anyone got a spare wedge for a tuff neck stem as the fookers have lost mine  :tickedoff:

sweetbeats

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 10:54 AM »

Oh yeah anyone got a spare wedge for a tuff neck stem as the fookers have lost mine  :tickedoff:

Insult to Injury that  :coolsmiley:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 11:13 AM »

>:( When i go down and see them next week, I'm gonna drop my trousers, bend over and get properly shafted

sweetbeats

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 11:44 AM »

>:( When i go down and see them next week, I'm gonna drop my trousers, bend over and get properly shafted

Again  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 11:54 AM »

:buck2: :-[ :'(

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 01:17 PM »

I might have one, will have a look in my mysterious box of bits later  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2010, 01:34 PM »

try some of this - may help

sorry to hear they didn't give you the finish you wanted mate, hopefully they'll come around when they know their work is being viewed on the internets

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49 PM »
i think overall thats a 'pretty par for the course finish' by the chromers.the tricky bits do look pants but then find a radster whos been 100% happy with any of the chroming theyve had done.the price does seem rather steep but if theyve had to do loads more polishing than normal then thats a reasonable price. unfortunately i think total perfection is something that seems impossible to acheive by any chromer,it stilll remains the holy grail of bmx restoration :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 09:38 PM »

unfortunately i think total perfection is something that seems impossible to acheive by any chromer,it stilll remains the holy grail of bmx restoration

This is what i don't understand though as i just don't remember a badly chromed frame back in the 80's. They did a great job then so why cant they do it now ????????
With an extra 25+ yrs of industry knowledge, i just can't fathom out why there are some real rough jobs around today. I'm not sayimg the frame above is rough by any amount of imagination, just obviously there are certainly parts that are up for discussion.
It just seems 25+ yrs on and we're taking backward steps rather than going forward.

Weird.  :idiot2: :idiot2:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:49 PM by Southern Andy »
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2010, 09:48 PM »
All the tubes were polished and finished pre weld so the chrome was easier to polish post chroming. So once there welded and stripped the tubes ain't as detailed, so the polishing ain't as good  :-\

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CW Cali Boulevard Resto *Pg 7 update 22/6/11 Pics Added *

gfxgfx
gfx gfx