gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 12:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CW Freestyle Bars to be prepped for Chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CW Freestyle Bars to be prepped for Chrome  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
CW Freestyle Bars to be prepped for Chrome
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:13 PM »
A couple of questions...
Took some Nitromors to these bars, then some more and then some more but cant get the last bit of paint off, have started sanding but still no joy  :'(
1) any suggestions to clean them up a little more ???
2) Also a little rust across the top, now i can sand down and clean up but they aint going to be purfec, will the chrome cover slight imperfections or they just highlight the shitty areas ???
3) Would the chromers clean up any bits i couldn't sort for a little $$$

Cheers
Al  :daumenhoch:

dan-dare

Re: CW Freestyle Bars to be prepped for Chrome
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:28 PM »
more nitromors and wire wool. it will come off. :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:53 AM »
the chromers may have a right game chroming them as they were originally paint,it means that the metal would have never been polished and the chromers will only give it a quick blast on the polisher which probably wont be enough.i had this problem with an originally white t.a,where they polished it it came out bling chrome,where they didnt get in to was silver,i cpuld have cried,they had to strip it and i sold the frame set as raw :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:47 PM »
As MarkyP says, the chromers will need to do a proper polishing job on those; you might need to do a fair bit of the fiddly prep yourself.  Lots of wet and dry in the hard to get at places as the chromers are usually lax in those areas (as MarkyP found out). 

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:21 AM »
 :-\
looks like I'm gonna have a fair few busy nights then chaps, The frame has polished up ok,,, but after reading wot you have said I think i'll go and have another go at it also

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:29 AM »
the chromers may have a right game chroming them as they were originally paint,it means that the metal would have never been polished and the chromers will only give it a quick blast on the polisher which probably wont be enough.i had this problem with an originally white t.a,where they polished it it came out bling chrome,where they didnt get in to was silver,i cpuld have cried,they had to strip it and i sold the frame set as raw :'(

Marky,
How much prep did you put into it or did you give them a white frame????

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:48 PM »

Marky,

your going to need to mirror polish it so its so bling that your mrs would be able to put he lippy on in it!!! any imperfections in the frame/bars will show through the chrome

:daumenhoch:

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 02:53 PM »

[/quote]

your going to need to mirror polish it so its so bling that your mrs would be able to put he lippy on in it!!! any imperfections in the frame/bars will show through the chrome

[/quote]

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Mirror Finish, you are shittin me !!! Thats gonna take a fooking age  :-[
Anyone on here subcontract  ::)

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 03:46 PM »

Marky,
i gave them a stripped raw frame,but it was proper RAW!!! you might be better off finding a metal finisher to polish it before the chromer :-\
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 03:53 PM »

[/quote]

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Mirror Finish, you are shittin me !!! Thats gonna take a fooking age  :-[
Anyone on here subcontract  ::)
[/quote]

yep its a lot of work mate but worth it in the end   :daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 04:15 PM »
i had the same problem with my mrd forks,they were og white but iwanted them chromed so rather than take a chance i took them to a chromer who was also a metal finisher and explained what i was expecting of the finished article.
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Gonna have to find a decent metal polisher then...i just dont have the time to get the frame, forks and bars to a mirror finish  :-[
The plan is to have the Bars chrome along with the seat post, Frame and Forks to also chromed but with this powder over top.

Page 3 (seat post on left)
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=115481.0

Wheels & Hubs to be chromed, Redlines, Polished Power Disc, Tuf neck Chin Ring in Black, lot of black bits...
Gotta get this right!!!!

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 04:43 PM »
just seen a frame pkretro69 spent about a week prepping and polishing by hand and it looked amazing :smitten: to it to our local chromers about a week later and the results were shocking :shocked: all the tiny imperfections that you couldn't really see showed up like you wouldn't belive cost him about £175 and only fit for a rider.felt really sorry for him when i saw it

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 04:54 PM »
just seen a frame pkretro69 spent about a week prepping and polishing by hand and it looked amazing :smitten: to it to our local chromers about a week later and the results were shocking :shocked: all the tiny imperfections that you couldn't really see showed up like you wouldn't belive cost him about £175 and only fit for a rider.felt really sorry for him when i saw it

:(  Ok am I really wasting my time with this or am I best off just giving to Dan to put a silver base on and get the candy over the top on the bars to???
I'd be gutted if it came back and didn't look A1.
I'll stick some pics up of the frame tonight so you can see wot i'm dealing with there. Bollox, That last comment has really fooked me off....thx for the headsup though Harorider

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 05:05 PM »
i didn't wanna put you off mate but when i saw martins frame i was just as gutted and it wasn't even my frame,i'm sure there are many people on here that have had things chromed before and can point you in the right direction,get some pics up might be better :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 08:31 PM »

:(  Ok am I really wasting my time with this or am I best off just giving to Dan to put a silver base on and get the candy over the top on the bars to???
I'd be gutted if it came back and didn't look A1.
I'll stick some pics up of the frame tonight so you can see wot i'm dealing with there. Bollox, That last comment has really fooked me off....thx for the headsup though Harorider

The seat post Dan powdered did look amazing and if you already had a nice chrome f+f and bars it would make sense to go down that route but it is going to be really time-consuming and expensive with your f+f  and bars.  There are no guarantees that the chrome will be up to scratch so, if it was me, I would spend the +£200 rechrome money on something else and let Dan work his magic with the silver base coat/candy powder.  The other post looked really good and the bike will look mint when you build it up.   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CW Freestyle Bars to be prepped for Chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx