gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ok with a 15 t Freewheel??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ok with a 15 t Freewheel??  (Read 1666 times)

sam hudson

Ok with a 15 t Freewheel??
« on: October 09, 2010, 09:26 PM »
I am spinning out on my local track and want to alter my gearing. It cheaper to buy a new freewheel than a new front sprocket so I'm thinking of dropping down from 44/16 to 44/15. I've got standard hubs on my 2006 Pk Ripper and I'm pretty sure I remember you can go down to a 15t on the normal thread?  I'm also running a standard 1/8 chain.

Its ok to go to 15t on a standard hub right???  :-\

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Ok with a 15 t Freewheel??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Unless its a flip flop hub no, there is a freewheel that uses the same thread as a 16T made by AC, you will have to import it though and most probably wait

Here's a link  :daumenhoch:

http://www.coloredtuffs.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=305
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

sam hudson

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:18 PM »
 :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Thanks for that...Im gonna get a cassette hub on my next bike!!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:46 PM »
 :) 44/15 seems like it`d be a bugger to push.

sam hudson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 12:01 AM »

Yeah, it won't be quick out of the gate...but ...there is no gate at my local track  ::) Its only a pump track and I am fed up of pedalling like a complete nutter. I had a go on a lads 28/9 the other day and it flew (eventually). The track suits a faster gear and it will save me having a heart attack  ;D

bof

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 12:08 AM »

Yeah, it won't be quick out of the gate...but ...there is no gate at my local track  ::) Its only a pump track and I am fed up of pedalling like a complete nutter. I had a go on a lads 28/9 the other day and it flew (eventually). The track suits a faster gear and it will save me having a heart attack  ;D

28 /9 cannot be right  :D thats the equivilant of about 49/16

dan-dare

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 12:14 AM »
oooohh boffy dobber

sam hudson

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 03:47 PM »

:2funny: Yeah its like ploughing through treacle to begin with !!

If I have a thread on the other side of my hub from my freewheel, is that a flip flop?  :-[

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 03:58 PM »

:2funny: Yeah its like ploughing through treacle to begin with !!

If I have a thread on the other side of my hub from my freewheel, is that a flip flop?  :-[

Yep, so you can run the smaller freewheel without a problem  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

sam hudson

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 05:25 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Excellent. Good old SE for providing me with a decent hub in 2006!!!

Ta all for your most excellent help as usual  :4_17_5:

sam hudson

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Ok I spoke too soon about being finished with this thread.

I am running a 1/8 chain with 1/8 Profile Widowmaker SS, so it makes sense to run a 1/8 freewheel. An ACS Claws comes in at £14.99 on a 15t but 'Alans' reckons you should use it with a 3/32 chain as the mechanism isnt up to running a 1/8. :'(

I don't want to fork out £20 on a 3/32 chain and £40 on a 3/32 front sprocket...I just want a 15t freewheel that isnt a big pile of poo! Anyone got any advice for a suitable 15t freewheel??

Whilst I'm on it, are all 4 toothed freewheel removal tools the same size...will a £6 jobby from ebay take of my ACS 16t and still fit my 'new' 15t when I come to remove that? (once you lot have told me which one to buy  ;) )

Life was much simpler when we all just stuck to 44/16!!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 03:06 PM »
Time to shop for a 46t chainring then?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 08:06 PM »
 Can you not get an ACS Claws in 1/8 then?
I have a 15t freewheel here but the 4 pin tool for my ACS does not fit.

bof

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 08:14 PM »
I think I have a 15t sprocket , you can have it if you want it , You need a diferent size extractor for the smaller side of the flip flop hub

I have just checked and I do have a 15 tooth sprocket acs claws. I ran this for a half  season with a 1/8th chain with no problems ,
LMK if you want it. :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:19 PM by bof »

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 10:57 PM »
I am spinning out on my local track and want to alter my gearing. It cheaper to buy a new freewheel than a new front sprocket so I'm thinking of dropping down from 44/16 to 44/15. I've got standard hubs on my 2006 Pk Ripper and I'm pretty sure I remember you can go down to a 15t on the normal thread?  I'm also running a standard 1/8 chain.

Its ok to go to 15t on a standard hub right???  :-\

It can be done with an ACS Claw

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 11:07 PM »
You should be careful if you're riding those high gears. If you are very fast/strong/smooth it is possible. From a standing start you'll be putting a lot of force through your knees so you really don't want to put any lateral forces on your knees (eg if you're form isn't great).

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 11:16 PM »
I agree with Jon it is some big gearing.  I would normally expect 40/15 or 39/15

sam hudson

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 11:20 PM »
I think I have a 15t sprocket , you can have it if you want it , You need a diferent size extractor for the smaller side of the flip flop hub

I have just checked and I do have a 15 tooth sprocket acs claws. I ran this for a half  season with a 1/8th chain with no problems ,
LMK if you want it. :)

:daumenhoch: Cheers bof, I'd love to take it off your hands. I'll PM you with my details.

As for it being a big gear, according to the gear chart a 44/16 gives 53.6 9(Ft??) in a rotation and the 28/9 that I tried gives 60.7, so i want something a bit higher than 53.9 but less than the 'treacle' gear of 60.7 so 44/15 gives 57.2 which is bang in the middle...is that not so???  ??? Its not intended to get me out of the gate fast just to give me a bit more momentum as I seem to be be spinning out too much for the track that I ride.

It'll be interesting anyway and I'll report back if my knees pop off half way around  ;D

sam hudson

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Just like to give a big thumbs up to bof who gave me his 15t claw and wouldnt accept any £ not even for postage! What a star  :4_17_5:

Cheers bof  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

I tried the new gearing 44/15 on saturday and it was brilliant. It was raining and the track was gloopy so I didn't get the best run but the difference was amazing. It wasn't too hard to get off the mark and I wasnt spinning out like a nutter when I got speed up.
 My knees stayed on my legs but my thighs were burning like a MoFo  ;D

Cheers all for your advice and thanks again to bof  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ok with a 15 t Freewheel??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx