gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975767 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 11:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Interesting British Bike come up for sale
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Interesting British Bike come up for sale  (Read 540 times)

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Interesting British Bike come up for sale
« on: October 03, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Saw this on the bay today anybody come across one before? I know Don Smith (the builder) published a book in the 80's on BMX but this is a long time before that.

From the auction page

"Up for auction is probably the rarest of all early BMX bikes, a 1970 Don Smith prototype Moto-bike. Here's a little background. Don Smith was a world class trials rider who also wrote the British book Ride it BMX. If you have a copy of this book, take a look on page 7 or so, a version of one of these bikes is there. Back in 1970 Don built a number of prototypes for an off-road bicycle with front and rear suspension, he called it the motobike (the following info comes from his daughter) and with the help of the dept of trade and industry, hawked the design arounf the world. It was sold for very little money to a worldwide company, for a flat fee, who according to his book, went on to have huge success with a version of his design (probably Yamaha). Don saw no money other than the fee.

The bike itself has been in my ownership since 1980. It's hand made from steel and has working front and rear suspension. It did have chrome mudguards, but unfortunately these have been lost in the intervening years. The wheels are astrange one, 23" with tandem hubs and a five speed block, though the period deraileuer has also long since gone. The suspension, believe it or not, still works fine.

The condition is best described a original. the wheel, spokes and hubs will polish up great, the cranks are alloy and seem virtually as new. Only the bars have chrome that is beyond repair."

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320598492188&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

And where do you get 23" tyres  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:59 PM by Bigplinky »
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

monkian

Re: Interesting British Bike come up for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:59 PM »
 :Great_Britain: Cool. I like it 8)
Wonder what it would look like on 20" wheels!

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:21 PM »
looks like the strange bike i have here
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Found it in the Don Smith Book "The Complete Book Of Bicycle Motocross"

Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Interesting British Bike come up for sale

gfxgfx
gfx gfx