gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  What bike ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What bike ?  (Read 1633 times)

curtispro

What bike ?
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Right then, I am going to get a new school bike to ride around the tracks with my sons and need some advice, I am thinking of getting a PK ripper team XLP as they seem quite well priced and look good with a nod to old school, is it going to be big enough (6' tall 12 stone ) or should I go for a cruiser? No bike shops locally so will have to be mail order, failing that I might have to blag a go on someones bikes at our next club night, btw I am new to all this race malarky  :LolLolLolLol: and want something suitable with a tilt to racing. I don't fancy building one up, need something good out of the box.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
Re: What bike ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 12:05 AM »
I'm not a NS expert at all... but the XLP should be big enough for you to ride with no problems. If you wanted all out race performance you should maybe go for something a bit longer (eg 21.5 to 22" top tube length). I think the XLP has a 21" top tube. Most adult cruisers are between 21.25 to 21.75", so not that much longer.

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:25 AM »
I think it could be 21.25 if it is the XLP team with the splined creanks etc.  Is it 2010 silver / blue?

As goo a starting place as any.

Try Stodgy in the rad shop.  SE often discount at end of season and he may get a good deal for you.

curtispro

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Thanks, thats the one I have been looking at, found it for £425.00 may go with one of these  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Ivesy and Reidy are plenty quick enough on theirs!!

But do try a price from Stodgy.  :daumenhoch:

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:32 PM »

sam hudson

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:23 PM »
is it going to be big enough (6' tall 12 stone ) ...and want something suitable with a tilt to racing.

I'm about the same size and weight as you and I have had my 2006 Pk Ripper (not team) for a few years. Its only got a 20.5 top tube and is long enough for me (and I have quite gangly long legs!!  ;D ). It has stood up to all the abuse I give it by jumping badly and generally learning from scratch at the age of 38. 09 Rippers are coming down in price and for £400 you can get a 2010 with shiney blue bits all over it!! or you might want to wait for the 2011 which is white and chrome (damn fine) and is about £470 at the mo.

I think my 06 Ripper is a really good bike and that SE Bikes make some great bikes at a decent price...despite the absolute hatred that modern SE Bikes receive from a few people who go on about China making them and rubbish components...blah blah.  :'(  (each to their own I suppose).

There was/is a 07 Ripper on flea bay for £130 which is a hell of a lot of bike for that money and cheap enough for you to sell on if you feel its too small and you want to try a cruiser (blag a ride of one when you go down to the track...most people are happy to let you have a go as long as you have something decentish for them to hang on to as you bomb around on their pride and joy  ;D

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 11:14 PM »
 :) Have you looked at the Redline Proline XL? Only downside is unsealed hubs & steel bars but the ones I know of have been raced all this year with no problems.The build quality of the frames rivals that of £300 + aftermarket frames too :daumenhoch:

urbanAir

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:59 AM »
where abouts are you based?

curtispro

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Norfolk area

chichi

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 08:18 AM »
24" Floval Flyer , hard as nails, cheap and this year's colour is the mutts nuts.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  What bike ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx