gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 02:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  3 sisters track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3 sisters track  (Read 4190 times)

dirtydozen

3 sisters track
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Anyone used to race there?
I was pretty young when my brother raced but remember that track mentioned. Been looking through peoples threads with the old track pictures and remembered i found loads in my mums loft when she passed. WIll route em out and try get some if anyones interested.
Found all his old helmets and a few bits of clothing too along with loads of trophies. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:44 PM by RATTY »

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: 7 sisters track
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:12 AM »
fondly remembered!!   sadly never to be again!    :'(
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Darren Wood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Do you MEAN 3 sisters ?  :daumenhoch: That was a great track back in the day  :coolsmiley:

WOODY

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:43 PM »
Do you MEAN 3 sisters ?  :daumenhoch: That was a great track back in the day  :coolsmiley:

WOODY
like he ^^^^^^^^^^^ says

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: 3 sisters track
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37 PM »

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:53 PM »
I got a NOS schwepps" i jumped the kongs " car window sticker in the garage  8)
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:25 AM »
i think if the council once gave permission for a track to be built, they should honour that agreement as long as the area is still clear and the outline of the track can still be seen, similar to when permission is given for a building...   and not backtrack just because a rare frog is bathing in a nearby puddle...

Flemdog

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 10:43 PM »
i think if the council once gave permission for a track to be built, they should honour that agreement as long as the area is still clear and the outline of the track can still be seen, similar to when permission is given for a building...   and not backtrack just because a rare frog is bathing in a nearby puddle...

A return to Three Sisters is not gonna happen chaps, I tried hard but alas, no suitable and practical sites available...

We are in talks with the Wigan Trust though at the moment and working with Haigh Hall (between Three Sisters and Coppull track) with regards to a high end national standard track...!  :daumenhoch:
The Wigan trust are very keen to make this happen and are pushing me to get a club formed so they can have another meet and start the grant applications drive (getting cash  / grants directed towards a BMX club is easier for them).

Great site, access, parking, down hill fields, club houses, training rooms. the works, just need bums on seat to establish a committee and jump start the club officially...
Any volunteers who fancy being part of a new club in the NW, please give me a holla, we have a chairman, VP, just need a secretary and some PR chaps...

Great opportunity for another big NW club and track, apply within...  :smitten:

kirk

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:28 PM »
I remember Alan Woods looking into it, it would be a nice memory for his Late Father, Arthur, who built the original.

mantadave

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 12:23 PM »
 Iam in wigan and that what this town needs instead of fooking football and rugby pitches there has always good riders come from around here cant wait  :D

Flemdog

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 09:48 AM »
FYI Chaps:

There's a meeting tonight at Three Sisters tonight at the Three Sistersl (Wigan area) to discuss the national standard BMX facility down there...
Everyone's welcome and the more support this Haigh Hall initiative receives, the more positive the ball will start rolling grants wise...

The Wigan Trust council are pretty persistent on this initiative, plenty of training rooms and club houses available too for hosting meetings, coaching / classroom lessons..., all pretty damn secure too... :smitten:

Meeting is actually at the councils Three Sisters site tonight at 7.00pm tonight, the club positions seem to be getting covered nicely already but nothing in concrete yet so still flexible of roles or if you just want to lend a hand with the club, all are welcome...  :)

If you can make it, the address is -

Three Sisters Race Circuit
Three Sisters Road
Ashton-in-Makerfield
Wigan
Lancashire
WN4 8DD

Give me a call if you want more info: 07972-732-660

Tony  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:11 AM by Flemdog »

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 01:27 PM »
This is in the other thread but thought I'd stick it here too.  This is footage of the first version of the track, filmed about 81/82 ish.

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g116/annadapter/?action=view&current=ThreeSisters-1.flv

Thress Sisters was a good track at the time but Chorley track (John Lee's family owned it) was by far the best in the early 80s, imo   :angel:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:29 PM by LucyLastic »

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01 AM »
excellant footage that lucy, is there any of the chorley track, all i seem to remember is huge 5 ton stones all over the place... ;D   well it was 30 years ago.... :)

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 04:19 PM »
I have loads of Chorley footage on DVD, need to upload it. :)

Do you recognise the Chorley whoops in my avatar?

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53 PM »
I have loads of Chorley footage on DVD, need to upload it. :)

Do you recognise the Chorley whoops in my avatar?

:shocked:
i dont, no!
i dont even remember the track layout, all i remember the road up to it and these massive stones...  i went to look for it a couple of years ago on my way to alans but could find it, it was only a couple of miles off the motorway, in fact i think you could see it off the motorway....

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Went past where chorley track was today Sam, theres nowt left to see now, the site was filled in and grassed over years ago

Was the site a quarry at some time?

Used to ride there and back bitd, was about a 35-40 mile round trip... we must have been mad....  :idiot2:

In2 bmx

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 08:31 PM »
Great Footage   :daumenhoch:  Them whoops looked a lot bigger when i was a kid ..... :daumenhoch:   :smitten:

Get some of the chorley track on ..   Theta first downhill straight was so steep and fast ... id love to see that track again ......

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11 PM »
The start hill (Chorley)

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Was the site a quarry at some time?

Yes, it was.  Alan was also involved with the design/build of the track before he built Three Sisters.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  3 sisters track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx