gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Taj and fookin fixies
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Taj and fookin fixies  (Read 934 times)

Glen

Taj and fookin fixies
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:05 AM »

JT71

Re: Taj and fookin fixies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:43 AM »
seems everyone is getting into fixed wheel bikes....i have a free wheel on my single speed though, much nicer, I like to coast sometimes. lol. but I must change my trendy short straight bars for something wider.

From what I can gather its a pretty big market in the states and over here, especially in London, and some of the bikes are pretty expensive. Saw loads of fixed and single speed bikes on the Sky Ride.

ozone

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:56 AM »
Fashion victims IMO.  Nice if you live somewhere flat but what happens when a careless driver pulls out in front of you and you're running a brakeless fixie?  I assume the only way to get them stopped is by locking the rear wheel up which is dodgy and will kill your tyres in no time.

A bit like 29ers really.  They look pretty cool but they don't feel that much different to ride than a 26er IMO.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:57 AM »

ozone

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06 AM »

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:05 AM »

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:23 AM »
I saw a link to pics of the new fairdale bikes. I was GUTTED when I saw what they are.  :'(

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28 AM »
 :) I hate the way fixie fans claim to be "individuals expressing themselves" when they are all clones...Nothing cool in doing 80s flatland tricks (badly) on a bike your grandad would`ve rode in 1932 :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 10:33 AM »
i don't think all fixie riders are like that, yes there's a certain clique element to it, just like bmx to an extent, I just don't get why you'd want to go fixed, not sure there's any advantage. I've tried riding my single speed road bike, with free wheel, as if it's a fixed, keep pedalling when trying to hop kerbs or pot holes but it's not easy to simulate it, the natural reaction is to stop pedalling and level the cranks when doing those things...and when cornering.....you can easily hit your pedal down if you pedal when cornering.

I like single speed, it's easy, clean, nothign to go wrong really...okay i did have a brake block fall off once, now brakeless fixies wouldn't have that problem. lol.

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Sure, the argument about fixies/single speeds, 80s road bike caps, Vneck Tshirts, Girls Topshop pumps, shoelace belts on ill fitting jeans are all valid. But the real point is .... its Taj! TAJ! T1 TAJ!!

JT71

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48 AM »
Sure, the argument about fixies/single speeds, 80s road bike caps, Vneck Tshirts, Girls Topshop pumps, shoelace belts on ill fitting jeans are all valid. But the real point is .... its Taj! TAJ! T1 TAJ!!

yes I toally see your point there and I imagine his point is to make money. The fixed market maybe be easier to make money in than BMX, a lot of people out there are doing BMX and doing it well, and the same could be said for fixed too, but I'm guessing as a business man he did his research. Maybe he'll make fixed cool for the bmx masses? now that'll p1ss the fixies off!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 10:59 AM »
 :) OK,maybe I stereotyped just a little... :daumenhoch:
Does seem a fair few BMX companies are getting in on the fixie scene,maybe it subsidises the BMX side of things? Jay Miron is gone so I hope Taj sees the light & stays put in BMX.

evamedia

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 03:51 PM »
If you read the post on the Fairdale site, it's not really a fixie, but whatever, Taj's back is fooked, he can't hop up a kerb without pain, and the world needs less BMX brands rather than more

WizardWeb

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 04:22 PM »
BITD Craig Campbell used to ride a mint coloured Bianchi 10Speed around Rayleigh. I remember being pretty shocked at that and wondering why wouldn't he ride his Pro-lite everywhere.

SaMAlex

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 06:15 PM »
If you read the post on the Fairdale site, it's not really a fixie, but whatever, Taj's back is fooked, he can't hop up a kerb without pain, and the world needs less BMX brands rather than more

Yeah, i wasnt sure if they were actually fixed wheel but they are big, and single speed, so its close to a "fixie". They do seem to be more of a "commuter" bike, what with the rack and all, but I was hoping for a BMX from the T1 way of thinking (rather than a scooter).

Its very very hard to knock Taj cos he can do no wrong, but I was dissapointed.  :'(

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Haven't clicked on the link, But spent the best part of today stuck in London traffic surrounded by fixie's and loads of other bikes, But did not see one BMX.
One of these fixer's stopped at the lights in front of me and had to un-clip and then pedal back to get his pedal in the right place to pull off. Nearly ran him over as his gearing was too high and he pulled off at snails pace :rant:
I can understand the skinny bar's too make it easier too get through traffic. Must have seen at least 5 people fixing puncture's another guy was trying to get his chain back on :LolLolLolLol:
I saw too many close calls to count as they fly though red light's normally as it's too much effort to stop and start again  :rant:
They moan about how many cyclist's get hurt on the roads, But after my experience today I'd say most was self inflicted.
Rant over, Off to click the link :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:10 PM by Gary72 »

ozone

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Haven't clicked on the link, But spent the best part of today stuck in London traffic surrounded by fixie's and loads of other bikes, But did not see one BMX.
One of these fixer's stopped at the lights in front of me and had to un-clip and then pedal back to get his pedal in the right place to pull off. Nearly ran him over as his gearing was too high and he pulled off at snails pace :rant:
Rant over, Off to click the link :)

I'm sure these guys will end up ruining their knees if they keep using incorrect gearing - then again, I doubt they ride very far on them.   ???

I'm sure braxeless fixies are great in a velodrome but I couldn't use one on the roads as it would be an accident waiting to happen.  :crazy2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Taj and fookin fixies

gfxgfx
gfx gfx