gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 04:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing Chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Removing Chrome  (Read 5445 times)

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
Removing Chrome
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Right im sure this has been asked before how to remove chrome.
I have some forks that have already started to flake chrome off, question car brake fluid?? will that help with the rest?
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Re: Removing Chrome
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Need to get it dunked properly fella to strip it totally or if your painting, sand back and then powder over the top  ;)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:54 PM »
hammer and chisel  :daumenhoch:

Dingo

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Need to get it dunked properly fella to strip it totally or if your painting, sand back and then powder over the top  ;)

Cheers Matt gunna give it a go!
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:15 PM »
bitd i found that throwing great big rocks at my robbo pro worked a treat,dented it to fook too :crazy2:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:20 PM »
i think this can only be done by a chromers mate tbh. chrome is an electroplate that is applied using an electric charge. the same process in reverse is required to remove  ;)

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:26 PM »
I dont think the chrome is that great it's only a Piranha BMX as i said big bits already coming off just needs a little help  :P
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Does anyone know a cheap chromers in herts as i have just called my local one and they want 3 weeks plus to do it and a min charge of £35 plus VAT  :idiot2:
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1

currio

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:23 AM »
If you have been quoted £35 for strip and re-chrome on a set of forks, then I would say that's well cheap mate.
Can't see you getting it done for less than that  :daumenhoch:

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 01:40 PM »
If you have been quoted £35 for strip and re-chrome on a set of forks, then I would say that's well cheap mate.
Can't see you getting it done for less than that  :daumenhoch:

JUST A STRIP NOT RECHROME!
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1

trasher

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 06:25 PM »
The price sounds about right
There's always a minimum charge at chromers
Best to see if anyone wants anything else doing

I normally pay £30 for frame and forks stripped
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:26 PM by trasher »

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 07:05 PM »
I can feel a bodge coming on  ::)
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Does anyone know a cheap chromers in herts as i have just called my local one and they want 3 weeks plus to do it and a min charge of £35 plus VAT  :idiot2:

is that the place in hodesdon? if you do use them tell them just to strip and not to try and polish it up, i took my dp to be stripped and they fooking squared the tubes up cos they said it needed to be polished to get the rough edges, it took fooooooooking forever with a fine file to get it all round again  :daumenhoch:

Yeah thats the place should have known better the last time i contacted them about a full rechrome they wanted to charge me silly money and about a 3 month wait
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1

Mystical_Tramp

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11 AM »

is that the place in hodesdon? if you do use them tell them just to strip and not to try and polish it up, i took my dp to be stripped and they fooking squared the tubes up cos they said it needed to be polished to get the rough edges, it took fooooooooking forever with a fine file to get it all round again  :daumenhoch:

Yeah thats the place should have known better the last time i contacted them about a full rechrome they wanted to charge me silly money and about a 3 month wait

Hi, is this RCJ In Pindar Road?
I was gonna drop a pair of forks in there this week to see about getting stripped and rechromed. May think again about it now.

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 01:46 PM »

I was gonna drop a pair of forks in there this week to see about getting stripped and rechromed. May think again about it now.

Yeah thats the place it's just round the corner from where i work so i thought it would be handy BUT way to dear and way to longer wait, i could find places on the net and even including the p&p cost and time i could get it done cheaper and faster.
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1

Mystical_Tramp

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 03:21 PM »

Yeah thats the place it's just round the corner from where i work so i thought it would be handy BUT way to dear and way to longer wait, i could find places on the net and even including the p&p cost and time i could get it done cheaper and faster.

I use them for zinc plating at work, never used them for anything good though. Think I'll take the forks with me when i deliver my next lot of zinc plating for them, hopefully they'd do me a good price and turn around as i'll be giving them a couple of £££'s worth of zinc plating as well.
Not a stalker, honest............ but, do you work in the Rye house area, if so i'm the guy that picked that chrome lot up off you,  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Yes fella thats me small world  :LolLolLolLol:
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 06:28 AM »
I've also used RJC - they took a full 2 months longer than they said they would and polished out the frame number, and all the details on my Haro Sport frame (including the chevrons on the gusset), so be very careful with these guys.
If you do use them, be prepared to wait way longer than you expect and be very clear with them about what you want.
Good luck!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 07:06 AM »
I've also used RJC - they took a full 2 months longer than they said they would and polished out the frame number, and all the details on my Haro Sport frame (including the chevrons on the gusset), so be very careful with these guys.
If you do use them, be prepared to wait way longer than you expect and be very clear with them about what you want.
Good luck!

I be spewing if that happened, did they have a good excuse?  Polishing out details and features borders on professional negligence and pure incomptence to my mind.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06 AM »
RCJ are fine, i've had lots done with them but make sure you ring up every few days and chase and make sure you visit, keep an eye on the workmanship and all is cool, i've had bars, forks, pegs, cranks etc.. all sorts done and all ok. Sometimes best to get the chrome stripped off and you polish and hand to them to dip in the chrome, all good then  :daumenhoch:

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 08:47 PM »
RCJ are fine, i've had lots done with them but make sure you ring up every few days and chase and make sure you visit, keep an eye on the workmanship and all is cool, i've had bars, forks, pegs, cranks etc.. all sorts done and all ok. Sometimes best to get the chrome stripped off and you polish and hand to them to dip in the chrome, all good then  :daumenhoch:

Yep - I called  when the frame was due to be complete, to be told "we're very busy with commercial work, try again in a week", and had this story every week for 2 months. Being delayed by a week or two, I could live with, but for 2 months, it wore a bit thin to say the least. I even got in the car once after they said it would definately be ready (and got half way there), only to get a call to say it wasn't finished and to try again next week.

May be I had a bad experience which isn't the norm for them, but just want to let others know.

I did get a set of GT performer bars done at the same time, which took equally as long, but they did come out well. The other plus was they charged me £120 to do the frame which is cheap for that kind of thing, but given the result. I'd rather have paid a bit more for a good job, It's not like I can send it back to have the damage rectified, or ask them to replace the frame.... :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing Chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx