gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  snapped bolt in stem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: snapped bolt in stem  (Read 635 times)

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
snapped bolt in stem
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:17 PM »
so i have a second generation tuf neck stem with a snapped bolt stuck in, my intention was to drill it and use an easy out, simple. drilled the bolt and snapped the easy out >:( used my cordless dremel to grind out the easy out. 2 hours it took, drilled the hole a bit bigger and snapped another easy out. another 2 hours of grinding it out with the cordless dremel. 3rd time lucky i thought then snapped another easy out trying to remove it,  :idiot2: started grinding it out and both batteries for the dremel were dying, i wasn't going to let it beat me so went to b&q and bought a corded dremel. no more easy outs for me, just grind the whole bolt out and put a tap through it. 8 hours later and about a dozen grinding wheels job done. i could have tore my hair out if i had any while doing this. i think next time i'll just buy a new stem :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: snapped bolt in stem
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Oh well, at least that's one that won't end up in the bin so it was worth it   :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:45 AM »
Sounds like a labour of love and deffo worth it as Bob said  :daumenhoch:

You might have had better luck with drilling out the end of the bolt from the underside of the stem as the counter-clockwise movement might have freed up the bolt you might have found it unwound itself  ;)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

matt

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:57 AM »
or maybe buy a decent stud extractor next time, well done though  :daumenhoch:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:13 AM »
i did drill it from the underside and then soaked it in wd40, i think the bolt had been in since day 1, i should have bought a decent set of easy outs tho. the one's i had were cheep crap and are now in the bin.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:00 PM »
i did drill it from the underside and then soaked it in wd40, i think the bolt had been in since day 1, i should have bought a decent set of easy outs tho. the one's i had were cheep crap and are now in the bin.

Diesel would have been a better choice for soaking it in  ;)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  snapped bolt in stem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx