gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  TIPS ON PAINTING BY RATTLECAN
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: TIPS ON PAINTING BY RATTLECAN  (Read 1017 times)

donkeybambam

TIPS ON PAINTING BY RATTLECAN
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:09 PM »
I aint got the dough to send to Dan although I would have loved to. Any tips please lads?

Jim  :Great_Britain:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: TIPS ON PAINTING BY RATTLECAN
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Save up!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

donkeybambam

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:14 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:19 PM »
ON a serious note, it's all about prep.  Plenty of rubbing down, etch primer, 2000g rubdown, then top coat with the same 2000g rubdown between coats until you are happy with it.  Remember ventilation and a dust free environment really help  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Hold your nose, close your eyes and spray like fook!

I did some roar finished GT bars recently and learnt it was all about the primer and flattening that to see the imperfections  before the finish coat. . . Well that and that there are professional sprayers for a reason! Fookin over spray was everywhere!

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:50 PM »
trial and error, have a practice on summat else. the neighbours car or something when they have gone to bed  :LolLolLolLol:
sure i have heard its best to warm the can of paint prior to applying and as has been said its all in the prep

good luck

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:01 PM »
i have only just recently found out that our local paint supplier sells 2 pack laquar in a tin... :shocked:  there really is no reason you cannot get a near perfect job done out of a can, as long as you know what you are doing, problem is it will still cost about £40 for the right amount of paints (primers, basecoats and laquar) to do the job, so if i was you i would save up a bit more and send to dan, it will save a lot of hassle and probably heart ache as well..... ;) :)

sam
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

sid1972

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:28 PM »
 ::)   Sam is right... you will spend ages on the prep and you only need one thing to go wrong, a bit of dust, grease, a fly and if fecks the job right up.

Having said that, even if I had loads of dosh I still like have ago, because that's fun part, surely  ???

For Show - dans the man,  for a rider I would tackle it myself and when the paint ran, fish eyed or went like orange peel I would then send it to Dan.. :)

:daumenhoch:

spesh

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:30 PM »
as above really by the time youve cocked around stripping back and rubbing down then spraying
plus buying paint stripper primer sandpaper and the final colour it works out not far from costing the same as
a powdercoat anyway :daumenhoch:
plus you dont make a mess :LolLolLolLol:

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Ive just done my Redline 500a by rattle cans and i will say ive done a pucker job and it cost me around £35 in paints and a week in time about 1hr every night BUT ive also had a bike done by Dan which cost me that twice, there is no conparison save the money and send it to Dan!
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15 AM »
Try a local painter/ powdercoater, I've seen Dans work and it is fantastic, If I were doing a show bike, thats where it would go. its not only the finish, but the knowledge and detail. But for a rider, I use a company local to me, they chargeed me £40 last time for bars, f+f, 2 rims, stem, cranks and chainring, all stripped and/or shot blasted and powder coated, an assortment of colours too, really good job.

I always try to pick a colour/s they have in, so it keeps the price down a bit.

Powder will be more durable than a can as well.
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52 AM »
problem is it will still cost about £40 for the right amount of paints (primers, basecoats and laquar) to do the job,

sam

This is by far the best advice in this thread so far. I have only sprayed one bike myself and I'm a very accomplished rattlecan sprayer as I grew up around cars and was forever borrowing my old dears cars and dinking them and having to touch panels in [well once it was a wing headlight and bonnet–but to this day she just thinks i got it really well valetted as a thankyou for borrowing it–and not the fact the whole front end was resprayed]

Anyway back on point, I thought i would rattlecan my other halfs tatty daily rider, it was looking very mid school and very tired, so lots of nitro mors, sanding / priming / sanding / priming / sanding / top coat / sanding / more top coat / sanding / laquer / polishing / bit more laquer and suddenly reciepts adding up to £70 for supplies . . . . . . I can get a powdercoat for F&F for £60!!! and it wouldve looked better

it now has pink tyres to finish it off

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 10:21 PM »
I aint got the dough to send to Dan although I would have loved to. Any tips please lads?

Jim  :Great_Britain:

you had a go yet jim :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

donkeybambam

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 07:50 AM »
Im saving  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

No time to wipe my arse at the minute......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  TIPS ON PAINTING BY RATTLECAN

gfxgfx
gfx gfx