gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 11:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  I had one of them! Curtis
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I had one of them! Curtis  (Read 1402 times)

moochalargo

I had one of them! Curtis
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:56 AM »
So I've just finished my first old school build (Curtis exp skinny) and I am really happy with it. I took it to the nationals at bmth last weekend and it was popular with lots of people which was nice!  Most people I spoke to there said they at one time had a Curtis.

I can't remember to many bitd when I raced but figured that there must have been loads.

I took her out for a cycle to the bike night on Poole quay on Tuesday night (not the nicest bike ive ridden  ;D) and again it  got a bit of attention which was good but again every person who spoke to me either had one bitd or still had one or several in their loft! 

Have I really restored britians most common Bmx? Can it be true that every person had or rode Curtis bitd. If so why did it cost so much? Is it just me or do you guys get this with your Bmx?  :rant:   :LolLolLolLol:
 Should have done a rare Bmx. Maybe a burner :angrysoapbox:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:35 AM by moochalargo »

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: I had one of them!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 08:26 AM »
I don't remember seeing many BITD, but you will find in certain parts of the country you would find a lot of one particular make, I think it depends what bike shops in that area sold, so it could be that where you are there were a lot of them. I really like Curtis's top quality  8)

Post a picture up of yours  :daumenhoch:

snav69

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:21 AM »
As Chris says  :daumenhoch:
I don't remember them either  :-\ around our way we had loads of Torkers and Robinsons due to Alan being the Importer  :)

:coolsmiley:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I lived down South from 84-89 and quite a lot of people did race them at regionals etc. I had a pro for bit but I didn't get on with the geometry for some reason for racing (rear triangle may have been a bit long) but it was a strong well made frame great for jumping etc.

sid1972

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:07 AM »
saw a few, had curtis bars fitted to my GT - never saw things like 'ESP - HUTCH' stems - we all loved 'SR' Stems' they were solid and never shifted, but not desired anymore  ???

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 12:32 PM »
I reckon what they meant was that they have a BMX in their loft, not specifically a Curtis  ;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:55 PM »
Curtis were pretty common down South due to them being built down here. Hence why people at Bournemouth recognised it, i suppose most of them had never really moved away from their roots.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

moochalargo

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:52 PM »
I think it's a case of I had a Bmx for most! I've lived here all my life and didn't see many on the race scene. I raced from 81 poss to maybe 88.

Plus it's easy to say "oh I've got one of them in my loft" IRS actually having one though that's the thing lol

I could tell ant one I had a loft full of really nice Bmx stuff! Thing is I've not lol

trasher

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:51 PM »
i had a pro back in the day ,,and its the only one i saw

my dad bought it from bunnys in nottingham because he liked the build standard on it

as an engineer i guess thats a big plus

saying that i snapped the first one i had , :coolsmiley:

take a look in the museum ,,,, thinks theres only two pages of them ,,,and most are gasheads  :idiot2:

moochalargo

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:07 PM »
Yeah not very common at all I thought. I got the pro I had bitd direct from Brian. I think it was like a make to measure job. Sure it came bare metal and my dad had it chromed but it was a long time ago so may have come factory chrome!!

The only ones I used to see were mine and my sisters and then the reals were team riders. Karen and Vanessa. Was in the same class at school as ness.

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:58 PM »
guy from my old village, who i was speaking to last weekend about the london run coming up,  well he has one and has just got back into the scene - but saddly he cut the looptail off of it  :shocked: he now wishes he hadn't  ;D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

moochalargo

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Looptail?

trasher

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 11:26 PM »
whats a looptail  :-X

moochalargo

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 11:45 PM »
Can't recall a Curtis that had a looptail!???????

gossa

Re: I had one of them! Curtis
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Hey Lee, them Curtis's are ten a penny mate!  ;D

Good to see you at Bournemouth, bike looked mint, especially with the 1'3/8's.

Clive

moochalargo

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Lol yeah good to meet rad members locally! Their 1 1/8 mate and weird to ride on! Not sure she will see a track with me on lol

TIMMO1966

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 09:19 PM »
Bought mine from Bunny`s in 1983 after having my Puch stolen from outside Super Cycles,without a bike for 5 months.

scooterboy

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Also bought my Curtis Pro from Bunney's about the same time as Timmo.

Scoot :daumenhoch:

moochalargo

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 05:49 PM »
so is this just a thing that happens to me and my curtis? dont get it while on the floval? do any of you guys get it when out on your oldschool bikes? some of you must use yours!! lol

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  I had one of them! Curtis

gfxgfx
gfx gfx