gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 04:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  is old skool/ vintage/ . bmx dying?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: is old skool/ vintage/ . bmx dying?  (Read 5472 times)

spagbol

is old skool/ vintage/ . bmx dying?
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:15 PM »
I watch with great antisipation that the prices will drop , with out namedropping many old and respected members throwing in the towel, the words bord , giving up and last builds , retiring virbarating round the forums , boats and golf is the new kick! yahoooooo , can we get a bargain soon ? is this the end? is old school bmx dead?

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: is old skool/ vintage/ . bmx dying?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:18 PM »
no mate stuffs still fetching good money , its just some bmxers are now in there 60's  :LolLolLolLol:

sid1972

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:20 PM »
no mate - my dad and i have a golf gti, golf cab mrk 1, xr2i and a astra gte...

it's something to do when you have no bikes to build - are you not the same ???

:daumenhoch:

spagbol

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:20 PM »
lol, its going to happen mate , you nheard it here first, most will keep one bike, only, yahooooo , cheap bikes for the real collectors  very soon.

spagbol

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:23 PM »
sorry wrong word ... they are real collectors i think the word i was looking for was die hard collectors/ skint /poor collectors, move on richboys.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:25 PM »
They keep all their stuff in tunnels so it keeps the price up  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:27 PM »
sorry wrong word ... they are real collectors i think the word i was looking for was die hard collectors/ skint /poor collectors, move on richboys.

worlds smallest violin comes out...

skintola with some cheap bmx bikes that were once a bit more expensive is still skintola.

funny how some people see stuff.

spagbol

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 11:27 PM »
bill  , whilst you are still gabbing to me, well done on the worlds in South africa , how did you enjoy South africa? did you have a braai, try any biltong?

spagbol

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:31 PM »

skintola with some cheap bmx bikes that were once a bit more expensive is still skintola.

explain your theory im thick

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:34 PM »

explain your theory im thick

it was more the 'move on richboys' bit...

i cant be arsed explainging beyond that, becuase i agree with you, and would therefore be wasting my time.

spagbol

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 11:41 PM »
JT, i know you arnt short of a buck or two, but you havent tried to make any money out of bmx bike sales, from what i have seen you have always sold bikes for what you payed for em.....
not having a dig at anybody for that natter, all the lads on here bought bmx bikes because they love them, sposse all im tryin to say is that most collectors will keep one bike and sell the rest, maybe in 2 years the scene will be dead?

just a point od discussion.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 11:46 PM »
For every collector hanging their boots up there's another just starting the journey and that's not just in BMX. It's how collecting ebs and flows. As for prices I've seen a steady increase in prices in my 2 1/2 years with no sign of things letting up. It seems there's a thread like this on one or more of the main BMX collecting forums almost every other month and yet more and more great looking builds turn up month after month - just look at bike of the month entries for this year on this site alone !

Whilst we're all still old enough to even gentley roll round on our bikes and have money to spend on building them and drink beer together talking about them then old school is going nowhere.

As for being "bored" I guess if you are not riding, building, restoring or hunting for parts then that's just natural - you have to be doing it to be enjoying it  :)

Just my 2 pennies........

:angel:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:49 PM by bobafett »
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

spagbol

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 11:48 PM »
I .... WANT BARGAINS ..... SOON .....IM SKINT.

spagbol

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 11:53 PM »
bOBA... thanks for your imput , i can hear you but i disagree,
most collectors have around 5 bikes now , they will sell them , well they will sell 4 and keep one , over the next two years, the people who wanted to start collecting bmxs have done so, thhere cant be many geezers who are/ where into bmx back in the 80s who havent started collecting

my opinion .

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 12:04 AM »
its a shame some of the people who have collected for a long time, have seen the scene die off throught infighting and bullshit, and thought fook it, i'll cash in.

some of the prices of stuff is eye opening, plenty of stuff to come to market yet as well, so prices will naturally fall, and continue doing so....

its a good thing..

lots of stuff will make its way back over the water as well...

just how shit is...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 12:11 AM »
bOBA... thanks for your imput , i can hear you but i disagree,
most collectors have around 5 bikes now , they will sell them , well they will sell 4 and keep one , over the next two years, the people who wanted to start collecting bmxs have done so, thhere cant be many geezers who are/ where into bmx back in the 80s who havent started collecting
my opinion .

You only have to look at how many new members there are every month on RAD, OZBMX, BMXMUSEUM, BMXSOCIETY, and VINTAGE.

And when we had the RADCHESTER meet the amount of 30 something 40 somethings who were stopped still in their tracks upon seeing the bikes tells the story of those who are still unaware of the scene. There's plenty out there waiting to discover old school and everyone gets into it in a different way. Discovering your old bike in your mums shed, bumping into an old mate.... whatever.......

As for the "5 bikes" theory I honestly don't know a single member who has got to 5 bikes and stopped. And I'm not talking about this "buy it NOS and finger tighten it together" fad either - I'm talking about members just grabbing an old rusty complete that was going cheap and then restoring it for very little outlay or members finding bikes at car boot sales or in a skip there's loads of members adding to their collections no matter what their income - it's not all about money there's room in this scene for high end builds low end survivors and everything in between. And when people do decide to sell a few builds it's often to fund a couple more or maybe a bit of a special build. Or they need some instant cash for other reasons. Yes some people bow out for good and decide to never come back but everything is still selling well on on here and on ebay and often at record prices........ as the yanks say......

You do the math  ;)

I'm sure eventually prices will fall - swings and roundabouts it's only natural. But the old stories of Shimano DX for £5 in an old bike shop and NOS MX1000's for £20 a set that the pioneers of this scene enjoyed.... that will NEVER happen again.

It will reach a natural high point and then a natural low but things will never be as cheap as "in the beginnning"

PS That was about 5p worth  ;)

spagbol

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 12:15 AM »
its true, the £ is going to be worth $3.50 next year, cant wait,luckly im a twat but i have never ripped anybody off with shipments from usa and still have a few trusted mates in usa who will send me parts or frames , its a shame some people have fooked it up for new collectors, whilst im on the topic there is a member on here who keeps on banging on on the boards in usa about sending stuff over to the uk and why they dont do it and pleading the cause..... i wont mention his name but i will say this i was very supprised to read one of his latest posts on here where he states he cant be arsed to ship /post to usa because its a BALLACHE? ...what a hypoctit.

spagbol

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 12:20 AM »
boba could i ask you how many bikes you have mate ?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 12:23 AM »

spagbol

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 12:25 AM »
and can you see yourself having  32 bikes when you are in your 50s or will you keep 1 or 2?

trasher

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 12:27 AM »
id like to build a decent bike ,,, but the prices are way to high for me  :'(

i think it will take a while for prices to come down ...going by bits i sold recently on ebay

i mean who buys a flyte tech seat for £102 ,,,, bought for £40 a year ago ,, monkey bars for £255 ,,,bought for £180  2 years  ago

suntour arrow seat clamp £42 ,,,and non of it was nos  ???

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 12:31 AM »
and can you see yourself having  32 bikes when you are in your 50s or will you keep 1 or 2?

Well I've collected many things in my life not just BMX and I haven't sold any of it - I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder. I've recently converted my attic so there's a place for everything to live now. I see a squeezed maximum of 35 bikes fitting in so I'm close to my limit. At this point in time I can't see me selling ANY but never is an impossible word. I can honestly see 10 bikes that I'd never sell that are in my collection so I certainly can't see it ever going lower than that - in my rose tinted view at the moment they are all staying put for life.

I recently sold 1 frame and it was to put money toward another.........

spagbol

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 12:35 AM »
Thats good to hear boba, i welcome all imputs and views on the question, is old school bmx(collecting) dying?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 12:37 AM »

May I return the question and enquire as to how many bikes you have ?

spagbol

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 12:38 AM »
Thrasher ...just hold on mate there may be some bargains to be had in the next two years, i really think prices will hold and steadly rise if anything for two years and then they will drop like a lead balloon with a hookers nickers on.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  is old skool/ vintage/ . bmx dying?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx