gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 06:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hutch Trickstar restoration *Complete*
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch Trickstar restoration *Complete*  (Read 20618 times)

scott250

Re: Hutch Trickstar restoration *pics added*
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Liking the Nike windrunner! 80s style.

donkeybambam

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Cant wait to see this.

jordi555

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Update....

Remember this is going to be ridden :crazy2:

Picked up some nice spoked wheels off ebay, sun rims with suzue sealed hubs, lovely condition.
Ive ended up with some new school tyres....some FAF skinwalls, I really like them, went for 1.95
Cleaned up my tech 3 levers and found some nice Ame tri grips
Had my ACS stem powder coated black along with the disc
Bolts for the stem are at the chromers.
I hadnt realised how worn my DX's were, but Ive cleaned them up a bit, greased them and stuck some new end caps on
Cleaned up the headset and BB, but decided I'd go for new, waiting for the postie on those....along with some new brake blocks

Hopefully this week I may get the frame, forks and bars back from the chromers...I can't fricken wait.
No sign of the Hutch stickers yet....I'm getting a little worried theyve got lost in the post..

Whilst rummaging around in the loft I dug up two old number plates, the Hutch one is my old racing number from back in the day..........

I'm still on the look out for a Kashimax aero, as I'm not happy with how the Elina seat has cleaned up...its still too yellowy  :(

One more thing, my nos acs rotor turned up today.......

I'm getting giddy now......cant wait to get back out on it.....a shelf queen? definately not ;D

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 12:09 AM »
very nice lovin the race plate  :smitten:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Looks alright mate, but that powder is soo thick? Almost ruins that lines of that stem and that powerdisc. Looking forward to seeing it done though  :daumenhoch:

jordi555

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Looks alright mate, but that powder is soo thick? Almost ruins that lines of that stem and that powerdisc. Looking forward to seeing it done though  :daumenhoch:

Yeh, it is a bit thick I agree, it'll do for now, I could always strip them again and have em sprayed?

Just picked up a Kashimax Aero of the bay 10mins ago, used, but it looks like it'll clean up ok :coolsmiley: + some new stickers

Postie has brought my headset, BB and brake blocks too  :daumenhoch:

Waiting for a call from the chromers to tell me when I can pick up my frame, forks and bars 

I could have this up and running soon...... :)

jordi555

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Hutch stickers landed today :)
Picking the frame forks and bars up next friday :D

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 12:36 AM »
Starting to take shape now  :4_17_5:  Cant wait to see it assembled.  come on Chromers :smitten:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 08:19 PM »
think you also have the cranks fitted wrong, the smallest hole on the power disc is showing,and that should have the cranks in it.. ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

jordi555

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 09:40 PM »
think you also have the cranks fitted wrong, the smallest hole on the power disc is showing,and that should have the cranks in it.. ;)

I only 'plopped' it on for the photo.....it wasnt fixed, I was waiting for my BBracket to arrive at that point ..well spotted anyway:)

jordi555

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Spoken to the electro platers earlier today....
Just two more sleeps, and then the frame, forks and bars will be ready to collect  ;D

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 10:01 PM »
nice to see a good restro ,hope it comes out as you wanted.

jordi555

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions as the best way to apply my new decals to the frame and forks?

Someone I asked the other day mentioned spraying a mist of water to allow them to slide into the desired position, this should eventually evaporate.

I ask this as the Trick Star down tube sticker is pretty big, and more importantly it was expensive and took ages to arrive, I'd hate to muck it up.

cheers

ozone

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions as the best way to apply my new decals to the frame and forks?

Someone I asked the other day mentioned spraying a mist of water to allow them to slide into the desired position, this should eventually evaporate.

I ask this as the Trick Star down tube sticker is pretty big, and more importantly it was expensive and took ages to arrive, I'd hate to muck it up.

cheers

Here is a guide from AJK bikes which shows you how to use soapy water to slide the decals into place.

http://ajkbikes.com/downloads/techtips/AJK%20Bikes%20Sticker%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

Must admit I just do it the old fashioned soap-less way.  I usually put a couple of temporary markers at both ends of the frame decal to indicate the centre of it (electricians tape cut into a triangle/arrow shape) - then work out where the centre of the down tube is (by placing decal on the frame without removing the backing) and put a couple of temporary markers on the frame so both line up.  Then carefuly apply.  Sounds like a faff but always worked for me as I was scared of using water and c0cking the job up...

jordi555

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 11:31 PM »

cheers

Here is a guide from AJK bikes which shows you how to use soapy water to slide the decals into place.

http://ajkbikes.com/downloads/techtips/AJK%20Bikes%20Sticker%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

Must admit I just do it the old fashioned soap-less way.  I usually put a couple of temporary markers at both ends of the frame decal to indicate the centre of it (electricians tape cut into a triangle/arrow shape) - then work out where the centre of the down tube is (by placing decal on the frame without removing the backing) and put a couple of temporary markers on the frame so both line up.  Then carefuly apply.  Sounds like a faff but always worked for me as I was scared of using water and c0cking the job up...

Cheers bud for that :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 11:51 PM »
I go for running the sticker through soapy water about 5% fairy will do it. They will slide around nicely until you squeeze the water out with a soft lint free cloth. I have had perfect stickers first time every time. And you won't get a dry spot like you can when you damp the frame.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 06:28 AM »
I subscribe to the view that 'when these came out the factory the stickers were stuck on by someone who had a production line of the fookers and a couple of minutes to do each frame"

peel off backing - place on frame - smooth on from middle to sides to avoid bubble - done.

You did say this is a rider after all  :daumenhoch:

cheers
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

jordi555

Re: Hutch Trickstar restoration *finished*
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 11:32 AM »
Before

After  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:38 AM by jordi555 »

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch Trickstar restoration *Complete*
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 01:40 PM »
kin hell :shocked: what a transformation, sweet :4_17_5:

Dude were you the geezer at the Cycle ride in Brum who knew Mani on the white TRM?

If not, no worries, might be getting you mixed up with some-one else who had a had a trickstar from bitd who we were taiking too.
Vans Style

jordi555

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 01:45 PM »
kin hell :shocked: what a transformation, sweet :4_17_5:

Dude were you the geezer at the Cycle ride in Brum who knew Mani on the white TRM?

If not, no worries, might be getting you mixed up with some-one else who had a had a trickstar from bitd who we were taiking too.

Sorry, not me bud.
Glad you like it anyways
I'm well chuffed with how it turned out.
I just need to sort the brakes out, they are just as rubbish as I remember BITD!

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Lookin' good  :daumenhoch: , it could do with a straight or unbraced layback seatpost though .

jordi555

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Lookin' good  :daumenhoch: , it could do with a straight or unbraced layback seatpost though .

I agree  ::)

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 05:19 PM »
looks good how did the chrome come out on it ? .was it done by the place in hounslow ?
no1stuntmaster on instagram

jordi555

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2010, 07:06 PM »
looks good how did the chrome come out on it ? .was it done by the place in hounslow ?
Thanks, the chrome is first class
Vernon Moss in Brighouse, West Yorkshire.
I would recommend them highly ..

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Jordi,
Thats one smooooooth rider you got there mate  :daumenhoch: :smitten:
I'd agree with the seatpost though mate, needs changing  ::)
Were the chromers reasonable, I need a few bits done shortly.

Great Resto though mate, qualty

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hutch Trickstar restoration *Complete*

gfxgfx
gfx gfx