gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 08:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  What age to start racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What age to start racing  (Read 2954 times)

curtispro

What age to start racing
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Hi guys

My kids would like to start racing, I have a 4 year old, 8 year old and a 10 year old, my question is will the 4 year old be able to race (ride round) these modern tracks?
The nearest track to us is Peterborough, we will try and get over there for a tryout and have a look.

Any info would be great.

Regards

Jon

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: What age to start racing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:19 AM »
Hey Jon

I have seen 4 year olds riding and racing aroud the Peterborough track  :daumenhoch: but I think serious competions are 8/9 years old

http://www.peterboroughphantomsbmx.co.uk/

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:24 AM »
About 3.5 years and above is possible, if the kid is ready (my youngest is 3.5 and nowhere near ready).  :daumenhoch:

sweetbeats

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:26 AM »
I started doing serious flatland aged about 18 months.
Moved onto quarter pipes and skate parks aged 3  :daumenhoch:

curtispro

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:33 AM »
I started doing serious flatland aged about 18 months.
Moved onto quarter pipes and skate parks aged 3  :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol:

moley

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44 AM »
Hey Jon

I have seen 4 year olds riding and racing aroud the Peterborough track  :daumenhoch: but I think serious competions are 8/9 years old

http://www.peterboroughphantomsbmx.co.uk/

The North has 7 and Under races.   So long as the lad can ride then he can race!!  :daumenhoch:

Just make sure he can use the brake if its a downhill track!!

curtispro

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:14 AM »
Chuck him in with the 7 year olds, that will be intersting :LolLolLolLol: he was 4 today and is riding his Haro micro around the garden !!!!!! I will have to pop down to a meeting when there is one on. The peterborough web site don't seem to list any dates, does anyone know if they still race on a Weds eve?

Jon.

moomin

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Josh started at 4, little Harry Kirby raced MK at the weekend and he's only 3  :shocked:

Lily has just turned 2 and is almost on the balance bike so as soon as she fits an 18" bmx she'll be hitting the track  :daumenhoch:

TBH the younger they start the bigger the head start they get  :daumenhoch:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21 PM »
The official line on this from British Cycling is .....

3.1. Age of Participants
A rider must be at least 4 years of age to
compete in a BC sanctioned BMX event.
The minimum age of 4 refers to the real
calendar age on the day of race
commencement.

..... however, I have seen many younger than 4's competing usually with dad/mum/someone running round behind them to get them over some of the bigger jumps.  Think the age issue would only be a problem if trying to compete at National or Brits level.  If Flying Fox Jnr. can get away with it in East Anglia where it's swarming with BC brass then it must be OK at regional level.  Humps

curtispro

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Interesting......

I thought my days of running around after them was over having done 3 years on an Auto MX racing  :LolLolLolLol: at least the older two should be able to get round a track ok without any help, getting to old to be running after them :2funny:

Regards

Jon

kdubbmx

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Travis started racing regionals before he was 4.

He's now 6 and is National number 2 and has just got back from racing the worlds in South Africa.

The 5-6 class had some super fast dudes in it some even jumping the 8 metre double!!! (and all clipped in!!!)   :shocked:

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 06:42 PM »
hi age is irrelivent, take them to the track and just let t hem ride. :daumenhoch: if they can get all the way round un aided then let them race the youngest age group at the next race meet. its all about letting them have fun.

Moschops

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Peterborough run gates on wed eves, but thats a beast of a track for your first go. Milton Keynes track is open to the public 24-7 (unless there is a race on) it might be worth the extra traveling time to get his confidence up.

All 3 of my boys were racing competitively at 4 ;)

curtispro

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Would you say that the Peterborough track is a bit wild compared to other tracks then, the tracks have chaged since I used to do it in the 80's, we should be going there tonight all being well, crash helmets and all 8).

The other nearest track to us would be Norwich is that les of a beast?

Jon

Moschops

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:53 PM »
Norwich is more child friendly than Peterborough, most beginners struggle with Peterborough's back straight, those 2 massive doubles.

I like Norwich track flows well, it's just a shame you can't park trackside.

Spalding might be in your traveling distance then, where abouts are you ???

curtispro

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Peterborough last night, 4 year old struggled with the back straight, crashed big time, well thats knocked his confidence, the other two got on OK though, like it was said before "its a beast of a track", we live near King's Lynn so Spalding would be closer for us, anyone got any info, (that back straight must feel like mountains to the little ones)

tobybrown35

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 09:32 PM »
my boys 3 and can get round most of bmouth on his micro just scared of the gate havent pushed him but 4 next year  want 2 do southern regionals but he loves sk8 parks on his balance bike more at mo

dialledbikes

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 10:49 AM »
My eldest did his first race at Peckham aged 4 and 2 months.

He's now 9 and has very little interest in BMX whatsoever  :'(

curtispro

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Well we have done it, first club race, little one struggled and kept stopping at the top of a large jump, but they all enjoyed it and can't wait for next week. Just got to get him through his metal block of getting over that part of the track. :laugh:

I just need to get out there now :LolLolLolLol:
Regards

Jon

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  What age to start racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx