gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 08:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  cracked my dirtbike( great news)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: cracked my dirtbike( great news)  (Read 6406 times)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
cracked my dirtbike( great news)
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:42 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

its not even a year old and the brake mount has cracked quite bad, have emailed 4down and hopefully will get a reply tomorrow on what can be done

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:47 PM by kev s »

madmike-bmx

Re: cracked my dirtbike
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: and this is why most cool kids nodays ride brakeless  :LolLolLolLol: :uglystupid2:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:12 PM »
ooops

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47 AM »
 :) Shoulda got a Standard :daumenhoch:

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:52 AM »
Gutted....   :'(

Seen a brake mount snap clean off a mates LTF...  :'(

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Gutted....   :'(

Seen a brake mount snap clean off a mates LTF...  :'(

and your  Liam's LTF snapped at the seatube too  :(

Shhh Mark , you started the end of "Unknown bikes"  :D,

You might have started the demise of the mighty S&M  :shocked:

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:06 AM »
bike killer  :buck2:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

JT71

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:14 AM »
crikey! i have one of those dirtbikes!  :shocked:
Though I'm guessing I don't ride mine as much as you do yours Kev.

that's an odd place to crack, has it just gone, ie dodgy USA workmanship or was there an impact involved?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Nothing to fret about. Consider the amount of stress that goes through a brake lug. The law of averages commands that a few crack here and there. I've certainly seen some over the years.  Just find out if it was originally welded or brazed and get it repaired.

I'd expect 4down to be cool with something like that though, it's hardly something that can be put down to rider abuse eh?

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 03:01 PM »
contacted 4down and have sent them a copy of my reciept (big up stodgy for emailing me a copy :daumenhoch:)

just waiting for them to contact s&m to find out whats gonna be done about it

jt my dirtbike gets used 3-4 times a week and i regularly check everything over to make sure its tight & not damaged otherwise i wouldnt have noticed the crack till the mount snapped off  prob on a abubbca :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

no impact involved, frame dose'nt even have one dent in it, the mount has cracked on the inside not the outside so nothing ive done has caused it

hasnt put me off s&m's one bit, had loads of em and this is the only one ive had a issue with in 18 years  :daumenhoch:

just wanna get it sorted asap as im gonna have to use my mates spare mcneil whitton frame that has a 20.5 toptube :( :(

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:15 PM »
How many S&M's have broke in the UK this year and last year then  ??? Mostly LTF's to be fair but deffo others.

The hate I saw for Unknown bike co on here and other forums was fookin unreal and for probably way less than half of the broken S&M frames in the last 12 months and I mean WAY less.

I said it recently and again today, is it ok for a frame that costs £400ish to break if its cool?

I own several S&M's by the way and love them dearly
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 07:52 AM »
How many S&M's have broke in the UK this year and last year then  ??? Mostly LTF's to be fair but deffo others.

The hate I saw for Unknown bike co on here and other forums was fookin unreal and for probably way less than half of the broken S&M frames in the last 12 months and I mean WAY less.

I said it recently and again today, is it ok for a frame that costs £400ish to break if its cool?

I own several S&M's by the way and love them dearly

totally agree!

muttley

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Really? S&M's breaking? Who else has had one let go?   :(  Mind you who else has had any new school frame let go? Lets even the balance out here a bit i think   :)

JT71

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 10:40 AM »
i guess all manufacturers have frames that fail, probably on an even percentage across all makes/models

for example if you sell 200 maybe 2 will fail, 400 then 4 and so on, and this is probably the same for most of the trusted or "cool" established brands, i'd love to know the actual rate, but i guess no distributor or manufacturer is going to tell you that.

as for hate, you reap what you sow and i never cared about being popular. lol. but the unknown thing has been done to death hasn't it.

muttley

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Weren't unknowns letting go at an alarming rate though?

JT71

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52 AM »
no, it was only 3.

muttley

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Blimey i thought it was loads, never saw one just read about it   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12 AM »
i'd still ride one it if i had one........i use a set of their forks as well which are sweet!

i do however have to admitt (expect to be shot for this) but i've never liked S&M frames  :shocked:

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I think that ALL frames could break. Either from a manufacturing mistake or from it being abused (anyone remember Stuart King Snapping the head tube off his platformed, life-time guaranteed, over built, Standard?). We all know that mistakes in manufacture do sometimes happen, and that if you ride a sub 4 lb frame to hard it will break. One reason from buying a bike from a well established bike co is so if there is a problem with it you have some come back and can get it sorted.

I thought that PART of the UK bikes problem was that they miss-led people into thinking they were a rider owned company who had some special process to make their frames super light without losing strength. Not just a large French bike co who made micro thin walled frames …. and then went under, making it hard to make guarantee claims.

I hope we don’t get back to a place where parts breaking is such a bad thing that bike companies are forced into over engineering everything, just for the 10% of riders who push parts that bit harder. It wasn’t fun riding a 10lb frame with 4Ib forks and almost solid bars
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:30 AM by S&MAlex »

JT71

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 11:50 AM »

muttley

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 11:54 AM »
40 pound bikes must have been fun to ride  :LolLolLolLol:

Andy

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 01:26 PM »
The ukbikeco hate came from way more than 3 frames breaking and the fact that Dibly was a liar

JT71

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 03:55 PM »

no they all broke (well 3 of them did)....what...those frames cost more than £40?

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 04:54 PM »
guys i agree with alex any frame can break and ( i remember stuart king snapping the headtube off his standard)

its the same in most business you are going to have a percentage of rejects/failures no matter how good your quality control is (this is something i do for a living, looking for mistakes/issues, recording details) we are only human so mistakes will be made

now what makes the difference is how the company deals with the problem

s&m have a damn good warranty dept and im sure my frame will be sorted

now how many other companies out there will sell you another one of thier frames quite a bit cheaper than retail price if you badly damage/dent your original frame from them?

not too many i suspect, most wouldnt care

muttley

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 05:11 PM »

no they all broke (well 3 of them did)....what...those frames cost more than £40?

LOL! Think i meant 40lb  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  cracked my dirtbike( great news)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx