gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stem stuck
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stem stuck  (Read 765 times)

Offline Muffski

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Stem stuck
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Hi guys,stripping down a bike today and i cant get the stem out ? any tips/advice would be much appreciated

moley

Re: Stem stuck
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Stuck how?

Does the stem bolt turn loose?

If so then loosen it and then twat it with a hammer to knock the angle clamp thingymajig down.

If you've done that and you know the bolt is loose and the angle clamp doodah is loose and its still stuck then make sure your handlebars are still on and turn them while locking the forks (with wheels) on between you firm thighs.   The stem should turn with this amount of leverage.   

If not then give the stem a tap (as in major thwack) with a rubber mallet.    Do the top and try sideways!!

If its still stuck then it looks like its rusted in and some idiot didn't grease it before installing.

Try the usual WD40 and diesel loosening methods.

This might be a risky method as I haven't put much thought into it.   It could cause futher wedginess!!  :D

If your forks have a big hole at the bottom then you could try removing the bolt and screwing it in from the bottom.

Screw it through the clamp doodah and give it a whack.    It will either loosen the stem or wedge it even further..............or do fook all!!

Another suggestion....................If the hole at the bottom of your forks is massive then the clamp doodah will fall out and maybe you could fit something UP your forks to whack the stem out!!

Thats it, I'm all out of ideas!!  :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:08 PM by moley »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:20 PM »

...whack it everywhere, aye  Major Thwack!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Muffski

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Cheers Guys,i've loosened everything and whacked it with a rubber mallet,looks like i need to be a bit more firm then  ;D

moley

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Make sure your wheels, seat and bars are still on!!

Its far easier when your sat down, holding the front wheel and twisting the bars and whacking it off at the same time!!  :D

Offline Muffski

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Yep,cheers Moley ,all sorted now :daumenhoch:

next question is removing the cups from the crank housing? do i need a special tool(other than myself ::))

:daumenhoch:

Its far easier when your sat down, holding the front wheel and twisting the bars and whacking it off at the same time!!  :D

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Yep,cheers Moley ,all sorted now :daumenhoch:

next question is removing the cups from the crank housing? do i need a special tool(other than myself ::))

use a drift (bit like a long thick centre punch) and a hammer  :daumenhoch:

moochalargo

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Yeah hammer n drift for the bb and wiggle wiggle with the stem mate

moley

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Use an extension bar from a socket set and tap it out with a hammer.

The extension bar end will be slighty rounded so it wont damage the cups too much.  Dont use anything sharp like a screwdriver etc, etc.

When you reinstall everything..................use plenty of grease on everything apart from brake pads, rims and your seat and grips etc, etc   :LolLolLolLol:

Basically any metal on metal mechanical gubbins.  It will stop squeaking from components and it will make it easier to install and remove afterwards if you want to change anything.

Offline Muffski

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Cheers for Help   :-* :4_17_5:

Use an extension bar from a socket set and tap it out with a hammer.

The extension bar end will be slighty rounded so it wont damage the cups too much.  Dont use anything sharp like a screwdriver etc, etc.

When you reinstall everything..................use plenty of grease on everything apart from brake pads, rims and your seat and grips etc, etc   :LolLolLolLol:

Basically any metal on metal mechanical gubbins.  It will stop squeaking from components and it will make it easier to install and remove afterwards if you want to change anything.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stem stuck

gfxgfx
gfx gfx