gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:41 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headtube Brand/logo badge plate removal and installation?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headtube Brand/logo badge plate removal and installation?  (Read 4667 times)

moley

Headtube Brand/logo badge plate removal and installation?
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:07 PM »
I have bought a Falcon Pro Theta bike off Greg (MotomagII) and its not 100% spec'd up.    A lot of the parts (forks, grips etc, etc) are not easy to come by.

The forks weren't falcon pro so I bought a Falcon Pro Flyer (Hi Ten with Oval Tubing) which the seller said the forks were round tubing not oval.  So I paid over the odds with some weird bidding on it.  The other 2 interested buyers had about 3 buys between them.   Anyway, I wasn't fussed because I wanted the forks.   I just hoped that the forks were round and not oval which they are.   The Theta was Full Cro-mo frame and Hi-Ten Round forks.

The thing is the Aero Flyer came with a Headtube badge which is riveted using 2 small rivets on either side of the badge.

I would like to transfer this badge to my Falcon Pro Theta to replace the decal which is covering up 2 holes.

So what do I do?

1.  Maybe drill the 2 rivets out using a small drill bit and gradually go up in size until it pops out..................but then the rivet might just start spinning.

2  Maybe try picking the rivet flange out so that the badge will just slide off....................but this might result in me scuffing the badge or doing something worse due to the small size of the rivet.

Has anyone got any ideas?

And after all that....................how the fook to I reattach it to the other Frame's Headtube?

Any ideas, solutions or banter is greatly appreciated.   :daumenhoch:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Headtube Brand/logo badge plate removal and installation?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:10 PM »
i drilled the one off my puch.
nice and steady and going up a size till it come off.
fook knows how im gonna get it back on though lol.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

moley

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Cheers  Mr Mush and PJ!!   :daumenhoch:

Looks like I'll be drilling them out!!

Any ideas on putting them back on?  ???

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:27 PM »
i think what im gonna do it glue mine back on and have a look for a couple of small nails and grind em down and drill em to look like rivets.
there aint much room in there when the fork tubes in.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Can you not get to the back of the rivets down the inside of the headtube and grind them off.
As for re-fitting it, Just double sided sticky tape and glue the tops of the rivets to the badge so it looks like it's rivetted :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Molster

If you let me know the size.....I've got about 3000 odd rivets......

and the gun with most of the the riv head attachments.........or http://www.cromwell.co.uk/browse?page=1

motomagII

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:38 PM »
or have word with andrewski been at his tonite as had crank bolt issue he seems to think he may have the rivets etc at work just has to check the size is same basically .
 :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Can you not get to the back of the rivets down the inside of the headtube and grind them off.
As for re-fitting it, Just double sided sticky tape and glue the tops of the rivets to the badge so it looks like it's rivetted :daumenhoch:

Cheers Gary

I'll have a look over the weekend and see if I can remove the rivets and leave the heads intact!!  :daumenhoch:

Although I'm not keen on your Blue Peter double sided sticky backed plastic idea.................I'd be suicidal if it fell off and I lost it!!!!

Molster

If you let me know the size.....I've got about 3000 odd rivets......

and the gun with most of the the riv head attachments.........or http://www.cromwell.co.uk/browse?page=1

Cheers PJ..............I'll see how I get on.  

or have word with andrewski been at his tonite as had crank bolt issue he seems to think he may have the rivets etc at work just has to check the size is same basically .
 :daumenhoch:

Cheers Greg!!

I give it a full inspection before I decide on what to do!!  At least I know that I have options if I decide to rivet it back on!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:51 PM »

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 12:12 AM »
Most headtube badges are stuck on. My Redlines were pigs to get off with out bending them, And they had been on for years. I'd use the thicker stuff not the paper thin stuff. If you PM me your adress I 'll send you some that we use to stick number plates on cars with at work :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Most headtube badges are stuck on. My Redlines were pigs to get off with out bending them, And they had been on for years. I'd use the thicker stuff not the paper thin stuff. If you PM me your adress I 'll send you some that we use to stick number plates on cars with at work :daumenhoch:

Cheers Gary but I'm gonna try the re-rivet route (if it works)!!!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headtube Brand/logo badge plate removal and installation?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx