gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Clueless
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Clueless  (Read 4944 times)

cooter

Clueless
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Hi, Just picked up a Huffy bmx from my local car boot this morning for almost no other reason than my twin 7 year old sons like flying about on theirs, and I decided it would be easier to ride with them rather than run along beside!!!.

Now I haven't had a bmx for 25 years, so am CLUELESS as to what I have managed to spend my money on, but this thing is pretty rusty, its got X rims wheels, freak factory brake levers, spinny double cabled brake cables, and thats about it. The frame number is stamped under the crank, can I get the bike age and model identified from that???? the pedals are stamped huffy, so I am guessing the bike is a complete unit not a bits and pieces machine

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Clueless
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:02 PM »
best to get some pics up mucka  :daumenhoch:
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53 PM »
A picture paints a thousand words :daumenhoch:
Welcome back to BMX and welcome to RAD
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:01 PM by brettypeeps »

cooter

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08 PM »
Okay, got camera out, took some pics, now how the hell do I add them on here!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:15 PM »
get a photobucket account, follow link and read the post

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=32.0

then show us da HUFFY   :)

cooter

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:25 PM »
I'm on it! wait until I need help with the sst ORYG'S!!!!!!!!!!

cooter

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:37 PM »

moochalargo

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Hmm? Lol

cooter

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:48 PM »
I will admit to buying it for a fiver as my twin sons wanted to pinch the pegs off it for their bikes!!! its unseized and is complete, so whether i strip and rebuild or angle grind and wheelie bin is a fine line!, but I am sort of getting attached to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Seen worse  Time and TLC end effort and you can bring it back to life... Maybe :daumenhoch:

Not sure if it is worth a lot though

slurp

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Dosnt matter what it is mate, the time you will spend with your kids will be priceless.

Get down to your local park/track and let the fun start.

cooter

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:11 PM »
well it owes me nothing, and only takes up shed space, so I will drown it in diesel for a week or so and see what comes undone! Any way of guessing the age, would huffy have records of frame numbers???? are they still the same company? The pegs are off and strapped to 2 7 year olds bikes so they love it!!!

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Any way of guessing the age,

Id guess at Mid 90s. Huffy came back to BMX for a bit. Put a good team together, and then dropped them all and pulled out of BMX (again). I'd expect Huffy are still making bikes of some sort.

cooter

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 09:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help, nice to see a really active forum with members taking time to answer questions from  the CLUELESS!! When the diesel has soaked for a couple of days you can expect more questions about headsets, and those oryg things with cables going everywhere!!!!!

Mark

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53 PM »

Just make it run smoothly and bling --- I'd  change the saddle, though  ;)

Ain't this your bike  8) ?    2 pics of your huffy, I suppose     
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aJROFaL4DTAD4x2FA-NYlQ
That guys selling his (he might know more/read what is writen on the upper tube)

--> Huffy  'Is there anybody who knos anything about huffy?'  http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php'showtopic=27026572   

-->  Huffy probably 'Chinese to buy US bike firm Huffy' 2005 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4633375.stm  :'(      

...haven't found your bike (yet?)

cooter

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 11:01 PM »
Frame does like identical, can't make out the decal with the pickup truck, but mine has the same one. Last photo is good though!

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 11:10 PM »
....yah, nice saddle !  :coolsmiley:

Oh, and your bike's a "HUFFY Quarter Ton" dating 1998; here's some details http://www.bikesdetails.info/Huffy_Quarter_Ton_1998.html

now get that gyro spinning !

cooter

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Thanks for finding that out, not as retro as I had hoped, but got the bug now, and also have the bike so better get bead blasting!

Offline mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 11:20 PM »
The chrome might clean up good enough with a soak in citric acid solution, you can buy citric acid powder in catering suppliers or on ebay. Bobafett cleaned up an old ammaco mongoose with it, the thread is on here somewhere.

cooter

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 11:33 PM »
JUst saw that thread with the lemon juice, might go and ramraid Lidl in a minute and get started, just put the whole bike straight in the bath, and fill it up!

cooter

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 07:58 PM »
As if by magic my 10 year old daughter got given a bath bomb set for christmas, amongst the ingrediants was a container of citric acid crystals, long story short, various huffy parts (not alloy)are currently swimming in a solution of acid, and the rust is shifting already

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Clueless

gfxgfx
gfx gfx