gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway front wheel rebuild help pls!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway front wheel rebuild help pls!  (Read 774 times)

Juju

Skyway front wheel rebuild help pls!
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:53 AM »
Ok, bear withme, as I am pretty much a mechanical numpty with a fairly basic cycling toolkit and 5 thumbs on each hand.

I bought a skyway tuffwheel (with a metal 5 spoked central hub) off the bay, and rather than arriving complete, I got the wheel, which is still attached to the 5 spoke hub with its original rivets, and pressed into the hub on each side is what looks to be the bearing carrying part of the hub assembly, (ie is isabout 1.5 cm deep, bowl shaped, and with a hole for the axle with a slight lip around it.

I also got  a small bag containing 4 (diffenrent)  axles,  some assorted nuts,  two of which look like flattened cone type nuts, a couple of reglualr fairly slim nuts ( six sided) , a couple of thin pressed circular rings and, er no bearings whatso ever.

Firstly, am I missing anything, other than bearings, and what size bearings must I demand from my local Halfrauds?

Secondly,how does this all fit together? 

I imagine that I need to put my bearings into the hub thats on the wheel, in what looks to be the inner bearing race, then press in the circular rings, sp tjat i ahve a wheel with enclosed lose bearings, and then just fit an axle and tighten up the cones to suit?

Cheers for your help. I did look for a thread about actual refitting on google but got pages of axel refit kits for sale, and the threads here all apear to be about the axle thread or redying the things.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: Skyway front wheel rebuild help pls!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:58 PM »
All you need is someone to pipe in with the bearing size and two spanners and some grease

Grease one side bearing cup, put the bearings in then tap the pressed washer onto that.
Put one cone nut with a lock nut onto the spindle and lock them together, make sure you keep them even so that both ends sticking out of the wheel will match in length when you are finished.
Repeate on the other side and tighten the cone nut up  till you have no play in the axle yet free spin in the wheel, there's a fine line here but you can feel it.
Then lock with the lock nut.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20 PM »
ta da
  :) hmyam
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:01 PM by fischflo »

Juju

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Thanks Bob,  thats a nearly perfect answer!

So the race retaining washer things simply tap in. Makes sense if the cone takes the "pressure" on the other side.

So a small light hammer should do it?  It doesn't need to be "pressed" in.

So all I need is the bearing size and I'm ready to go.   I just tried some out of another old wheel I have knocking about, and they seem a little small.

*awaits someone to tell me the size of bearing needed, and if they are loose ball or retained caged bearings needed*

Juju

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Cheers Fisch, so it's 1/4 I need!

Nice one guys!

:daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 02:56 PM »
I'd use a wooden peg or something similar  :daumenhoch:

Juju

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 12:18 PM »
I had a modest hammer, and tried via my ironing board to tap the washer in. Didn't work, needed rather more pressure than this was applying.  Eventually, I popped the wheel on the floor, and put a block of wood over the dustcap/race, and stood on it gently.

Went right in easilly.

I now have a rebuild tuffwheel thanks to you guys.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway front wheel rebuild help pls!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx