gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline flight cranks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline flight cranks  (Read 10445 times)

boloon

Redline flight cranks
« on: April 17, 2006, 09:49 AM »
how many people use the cheap Redline flights from the us $130 & what is the difference between the original ones & the new ones & do the old logo decals fit (to make them look more original) cheers

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
Re: Redline flight cranks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 10:19 AM »
yes the decals fit the new cranks.
the new flights are slightly dearer than the prolines...although in my opinion the prolines are very nice, although the flights have the same shape as the old ones, they have a double pinch bolt, whereas the originals, and the new prolines both have one pinch bolt.
but both the flight and proline models are as strong as an ox, and more than acceptable on a rider or a show bike.

Dave
haro, how do you do

hutchboy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 11:41 AM »
and more than acceptable on a rider or a show bike.
why put new cranks on an old school show bike?  defeating the object a bit isnt it.
j

gmac

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 11:44 AM »
But saving alot of money if you can't afford 400's or 401's  ;)

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 01:33 PM »
why put new cranks on an old school show bike?  defeating the object a bit isnt it.
j

depends if you got 100 quid or 300 quid to throw away really doesnt it....
theres lots of old school bikes on this site with new school flights, prolines, and new school profiles, i think they all look nice, obviously not era correct, but who really gives a fcuk...im not an old school snob, so it doesnt bother me, i have both old and new school flights, both on old school bikes....

Dave
haro, how do you do

theRuler

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 01:50 PM »
i ride on redline prolines
nice cranks from a trusted brand

only 65 quid shipped too.

Bren Gunn

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 03:23 PM »
If your going to ride it then slap a set on or if single pinch are too pricey the same applies, they are great cranks for the money.

But if it's a show bike, it has to be old school all the way for me...  one piece cranks or flights/Profile etc...

Bren :)

hutchboy

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 05:25 PM »
i dont think its any kind of snobbery at all. at a show if there are 2 bikes that are pretty much the same, diference being one has old school flites and other has flight 2's or prolines then i know which one deserves to win. whats the point in building an old school bike with parts that were not available bitd. a set of flight 2's with shipping will be around a 100 notes, surely you can build an era correct bike with era correct cranks for 100 notes
j

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 05:56 PM »
j

building a show bike is defeating the object, they should be ridden not stashed away and self gratified over by slimey bike pervs  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 06:11 PM by OrgasmDonor »

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 06:38 PM »
surely you can build an era correct bike with era correct cranks for 100 notes

you are of course correct....25 quid would get you a lovely one piece crank.....not a set of twenty year old 400's or 401's.
and to me building an old school bike isnt about pleasing somone else who may be looking at it at a show and shine, but more about nostalgia, and the fun of building it up.
of course at a show, if, as you say two bikes were built the same, bar the cranks, the one with the originals would get the vote, but the point you aer missing is the cost.....plus i second orgasm donors post.....they should be ridden, and for me one piece cranks dont cut the mustard when you more than 10 stone. But are you saying that my 85 sport with prolines isnt acceptable?

i think its nice

Dave
haro, how do you do

boloon

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 06:43 PM »
Dave mate i think they look the bol..cks, i've opened a right hornets nest here !!!

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 06:52 PM »
Its down to the individual if you ask me , if you are happy with new cranks on an old bike then put them on ! if you are not happy with anything but old 401s then save up for them.

rider then put something thats gonna be strong on it , and prolines fit the bill

Rich

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 06:55 PM »
thanks rich you said in three lines what i tried to say in 20....you clever bastardos
i do have this one as a back up tho

then theres always these

ha ha...im a snob too

Dave
haro, how do you do

hutchboy

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 07:02 PM »
the sport looks nice, but would have looked nicer with era correct cranks.
as for cost, i think thats a moot point, to a lot of us building old school is about building what we didnt have/couldnt afford/wanted bitd. do people find it easier and quicker to put these new school cranks onto old bikes, would it not be better to wait until you can find the correct cranks.
i understand the point of riding with new school cranks as we are heavier and riding more difficult stuff than when we where kids, but cant that point also be taken further, if we are gonna ride parks and new tracks then maybe we should be riding new school bikes. the old school bikes are not strong enough to take the abuse we can give them, skateparks and tracks are bigger and badder, we are heavier than when we where 13
j

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Cost is only an issue if you dont have it and plenty of people dont have that kind of money to waste on old bikes, and to be fair 300 quid on a set of cranks that you wouldnt ride hard , is a lot of cash

I have 401s on both my show bikes as i feel they should have them on to be era correct , however if i wanted to ride them harder than i do , then they would have cheaper cranks on as i dont want to mash up my 401s

and you will find most people start riding an older bike again , then upgrade to a new school ride when they feel that the older bikes are holding them back.

and some just dont care and do what they want ;D

Its a hobby that really brings out the differences in us all , hooray for that

because if everybody looked the same , we would get tired of looking at each other ;D

Rich :)

hutchboy

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 07:15 PM »
yeah but rich did you pay 300 for each set of your 401's, still plenty bargains to be had out there.
j

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 07:19 PM »
no , but i have had them for a while to be fair , I am of the school of proper era correct parts for restos , but thats me , i love all the interpretations of old BMXs whatever they have on them

Rich :)

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 07:41 PM »
if we are gonna ride parks and new tracks then maybe we should be riding new school bikes. the old school bikes are not strong enough to take the abuse we can give them.

thats why i ride this

this is getting off topic and turning into a show and tell, i am not gonna lock this thread as i like showing my rides.
and i paid 80 quid for my 400's, but they arent growing on trees these days.

::)  :P  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 07:42 PM by Rom Bloke »
haro, how do you do

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 07:54 PM »
dave we would never know you like haro bikes mate  ;D.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 07:59 PM »
if we are gonna ride parks and new tracks then maybe we should be riding new school bikes. the old school bikes are not strong enough to take the abuse we can give them, skateparks and tracks are bigger and badder, we are heavier than when we where 13
j

RIDE NEW SCHOOL!!!!!!!!! :o

nah!

its just not right, it almost amounts to cheating and i for one is a good clem lighter than i was when i was 13...............................foook, i were positively cuddly ;D

bikes are there to put your own stamp on them, have fun with it, if you like what ye got then its better than any foooker elses, correct era parts or new/old school mix, who the fooook cares :police:

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 08:03 PM »
right on brother

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 08:05 PM »
ooooooooooooooooo check out mr yellow writing

Lol

Rich

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 08:07 PM »
dave we would never know you like haro bikes mate  ;D.

is it that obvious

Dave
haro, how do you do

Coastvl

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 11:23 PM »
I like the new cranks and the old ones on anything. If you can ,stay era correct. If not (I know they cost a bomb) go with new ones. I sure a s heck wouldn't want to bust up these babies. But I do ride them still.
Try just finding these and then at a decent price(read not priced at over $1000 au)  :o

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 06:01 PM »
When I got back into this game, I had loads of different pieces of advise from all over the place...one piece stuck: "Build for yourself" - never a truer word spoken.

I'm happy with all my builds, none of the old schools have flight cranks, they have one piece because that's what I used to ride. My Mid-school Condor has new flights and they look the nuts without breaking the bank. New school flights are still things of beauty (right down to those little t-bar allen keys you get with 'em!) and should be admired.

But, I'm not in it to win shows, just to re-live the memories and to appreciate the originality and personalisation of the sport and bikes.

I see where the purists are coming from and good on 'em, I appreciate a 'perfect' bike as much as the next man - and it's always a pleasure to see a collection such as Lee's - awesome.

But, if you're not happy, or you've had to pimp your mum to pay for cranks, then it's all wrong.

Stay rad dudes.

Dave

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline flight cranks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx