gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Araya 7x / Suntour Hub problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Araya 7x / Suntour Hub problem  (Read 1328 times)

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Araya 7x / Suntour Hub problem
« on: July 30, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Can anyone help? I've just bought a pair of Araya 7x 20 x 1.50 wheels with low flange Suntour ZE hubs off ebay. The rims need rechroming and the spokes were completely shot. I've removed most of the spokes, but when i've measured the spokes to see what size i need for a wheel re-build, there seem to be 2 lengths. Some are 184mm and others are 190mm. Is this correct? I thought all the spokes should be the same length?....

The nipples are all 12mm long and are gauge 14.
Can anyone help, as i obviously dont want to buy 2 sets of spokes for each wheel....
Does anyone on Rad have this rim/hub combination? Please give your spokes' vital statistics. Many thanks

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:57 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: Araya 7x / Suntour Hub problem
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14 PM »
small...

ozone

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Maybe one wheel was 3 cross pattern and the other 4 cross so either length would work depending on which spoke pattern you went for. :-\

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:37 PM »
I had this prob recently . Bought some proclass wheels rear was 4 cross front was 3 cross as a result the front spokes had been filed down where they protruded through the nipples. Either size spokes will do both wheels  ;) I think the short 184 spokes will b for 3 cross and the 190's for 4 cross. Hope this helps  :daumenhoch:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:51 PM »
Thanks for the info. Is there a standard pattern for os bmx wheels? Is 3 cross better than 4 cross, vice versa, or does it not matter? I'll be using the bike for cruising round in the summer and might enter the os races at rad next year..

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 05:04 AM »
3x were generally used for racing and 4x for freestyle but it is up to you depends on spoke length available :daumenhoch:

steve

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:21 AM »
hello there, your front to rear hub flanges maybe slightly different sizes - as those hubs might be like a campagnolo road hub - those are different flanges

-if you have 184 and 190 and you have 36 of each
36 190's for the front wheel - if you used 184, maybe you'd see some threads
36 184 for the rear = the flange is bigger
-you will find your wheels will be 3 cross = over-over - under

if you are a newbie to wheel building, the ideal spoke length to have, is to have the spoke sitting just shallow of the slot in the nipple, this is so when building the wheel, the spoke naturally pushes the screwdriver out of the slot - you know you are true
-final truing still will not pull the spoke through the head of the nipple
remember - too long of a spoke =i.e. if the spoke comes out of the head of the nipple more than 6ishmm, the nipple will jump off the threads
-also if too short, the threads will show,
note nipple length - there are three lengths, i think the stock length is 14mm - the coloured alloy ones are a few mm longer, some are longer still.
to go into the hub and right on the first spoke, the rim hole next to the valve 'on the left' is 'up'

p.s. just be glad you spotted your error, and are not re-using the spokes, as i just did this with odd spokes, and it drove me around the twist.

also note - availability of spokes, 188mm is commonly available

also on a 7x, remember
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:23 AM by steve »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Araya 7x / Suntour Hub problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx