gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stopped searching started tinkering £50 budget(lots of pics)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stopped searching started tinkering £50 budget(lots of pics)  (Read 3064 times)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
probably the wrong time to post this what with the frantic efforts for MK at the mo , but i'd like to enter this for the skip fodder section at MK via proxy as i can't make MK this year ,  :'(

got this of a rad member just because first it was cheap,  :daumenhoch: (nice one D) second i liked and still do like the look of it , had a bash at searching for an id but with not much luck , i've set myself a £50 budget for this,   as one of the reasons for getting the f+f was to find a use for a bunch of parts i have lying around, you always end up having to buy something so i thought i do it justice and spend as little as possible  :LolLolLolLol::daumenhoch:

so set to with the nitromorse (fekin stuff burns like fook  :LolLolLolLol: )

noticed a dink on the chain stay and the horible seat stay, seat post junction with crimped tubes, quality  :LolLolLolLol:, so bit of chemical metal and a bit of sanding,

all in all not a bad result, brazed frame cleaned up ok , time to dig out the old head set after a quick blast of paint to keep the old rust away,   " feck me it dont fit "   the head tube is to big , shim shiminey shim shim sharoo's then , short story made long i had abit a thin ally so made these, fits perfect now

then came the crown on the forks or rather lack of  ?

more substantial shim needed here , chopped up on old stainless pan ,shaped it on the old akisu's,  then final fit with an ally spacer meant i had to bash it in place  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:08 AM by oldtired »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
color change and bung on few other bits,  crank set next , but i think i'm going to break into to the budget again for this as the one on it is a non starter, its possibly and i,m still looking into this a 1938 williams?  date stamp research is never easy  :LolLolLolLol:, spent £6 so far on paint  :LolLolLolLol: 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:21 PM by oldtired »

Offline Darren Wood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: stopped searching started tinkering £50 budget(lots of pics)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Your doing that proud i liked the look of that and asked about it but you had just got it  :coolsmiley:

Looks to be in good shape after a nice bit of RESTO keep us updated  :)

WOODY

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11 AM »
nice bit of resto there :daumenhoch: i like the budget builds as

most of us started with cheaper bikes bitd
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Daletsunami

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Top work mate, it's looking great and love the work you've put into it  :daumenhoch:

sid1972

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:29 AM »
British racing green  - awesome job!  :Great_Britain:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 03:52 PM »
cheers fella's  :daumenhoch:  crank set is probably going to a new one looking round at the mo for something that'll look right, i've got an mtb one that looks ok , looks like an early bmx alloy crank,  but can,t quite get the chain alighnment , also got this, origonally a diamond back about 84 ish but its a real tight fit in the forks, which  is odd because the mid Fusion one fits fine ? the Sugino i think will be  more fitting to the period , but i like the look of the fusion?   :-\   ,  has anyone got a seatclamp cable hanger/stop ? rather than opting for new one , tight budget an all  :LolLolLolLol:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:57 PM by oldtired »

sid1972

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:21 PM »
get rid of the fusion mate - that sugino one is lush..

what's up with the original crank looks ok to me and era is right also, get it polished.  ;)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:59 AM »

Cool resto diary - keep it coming  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 02:04 AM »
reply to sid1972, do like the sugino it was in a sorry state and was just about welded into a Wilson cruiser i've got ,i'll get round to finnishing off the polishing at some point ,   as to the crank set still  :-\, the bottom bracket was gone not bad but the cups were dinted in the shape of the race but the crank itself is a bit worse for the ravages of time, as i said i'm trying at the mo to date it mainly for curisosity , it posibly did have a cottered three piece on origonally but even low end bmx's had cranks that looked more in keeping with the bmx look , even the lowly halfords turbo's had a set of sugino's on i think?  ,   unless of course they weren't available which would date the f+f earlier than i think it actually is , its more likly i think that the original set was trashed or traded  :LolLolLolLol:  and this set was nicked off granddads old bike when he wasn't looking , :LolLolLolLol: plus its a 47 gear so would have to go with an 18 rear , although who knows  ?  still nice logo on the chainring  :daumenhoch:, can't work out if its N or Z on the arms, N dates them to 1928, Z dates em to 1962 and 1963 with C and D suffix ?   :-\

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:10 AM by oldtired »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 04:04 PM »
 :-\ :-\,  ok put crank set on hold for now but , looking at wheels now,  :uglystupid2: ,  again the best bits from the junk collection  :LolLolLolLol: one set single skin allys in black spraybomed at some point so need a fair bit of cleaning , 20X175, the other set is a set of skinnies double skinned aero shape ish 20x1.5 i think not the real skinny mini or sew up size?   is it 1 3/8th's ? don't need as much cleaning  :P  :-X  :-\  ,both in keeping with the low end cheap build, it's difficult to decide without a set of tires, amber wall comp three types probably  :daumenhoch: ,

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 04:37 PM »
it would be good to see an exemplary bike with a set of such skinny wheels, cause aero shape is interesting; they seem a bit damn thin ... :-\

LOL lofi bike  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 06:00 PM »
yeah skinny but there pretty strong im 5'10 and shall we say of average build for my age    ( fat fooker  :LolLolLolLol: )  , ive road em pretty hard what with my Biggles dive bomb landings and there still true and round , i think they were supplied as stock on a Heavy Tools Stinger which is in the loft at the mo, that was the full cromo one in the HT series so i suppose they're bit tougher than a normal skinny again mid schooly but fit with the stem,  strange thing is they actually look better on the f+f than the blk set because the tubes on the frame are real narrow,  just over an inch or so,  the blk set actually looks to wide for the frame , almost like an mtb looks  with a fat tractor tires,    :uglystupid2:   

you can't realy tell in the pics but its odd how much the skinny set look like there supposed to be there?  i think i'll go for them , of course there is as always an emergency back up plan  not sure about these though  ?    :-X    :LolLolLolLol:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53 PM »
....feck the backup

ok, a really cheap skinny bike then :LolLolLolLol:  :daumenhoch:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/schwinn/12718

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Just looking at those forks and I had some like that on my camo/anodised gold 1st bmx.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

griff

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Jimbo mate what happened to the rest of this thread
Was just enjoying reading through it again after it popped up, only it doesn't go past the first page now?  ???

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stopped searching started tinkering £50 budget(lots of pics)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx