gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975626 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 06:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Thinking of buying a 2009 Quad looptail - any thoughts people??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a 2009 Quad looptail - any thoughts people??  (Read 1275 times)

sam hudson

Hi all

Ive been away for a bit (three years...and no not in prison - I've been doing a degree...honest ::)) Now that I've passed, I'm thinking of treating myself to a new/old Quadangle.
Now I realise that this is technically an old school bike but it is brand new so I've asked in this forum (soz if that was a mistake).

Having not looked at my 2005 Ripper and 1985 Team Burner for three years, I should really be getting up to Coppul or Preston and begin wheezing around the track on my current bikes...however there are some good deals to be had on 2009 Quads as the shops try to get shut of them to make way for the 2010 model and they are a damn fine looking bike. Not sure about the candy red frame tho...rather have a black frame with the black LG's and gold accessories.

So do I get one?? Are they ok??

I do have a bit of a thing for the new SE stuff...I've  made my mates buy their kids a lil Wildman 16" a 16" lil Ripper and a 2010 20" Ripper....I should be on commission.

Anyway , I would appreciate your thoughts (not the rude and sarcastic thoughts) as I havent really kept up to speed on the new Quad.

Ta all, nice to be back

:LolLolLolLol:

telelogic

Re: Thinking of buying a 2009 Quad looptail - any thoughts people??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:39 PM »
I wanted to get one when I rediscovered BMX.

I still think they look great! and I may just build one for rolling around on.

Have a look at some of the cool looking builds in the museum  :smitten:

the only thing that put me off having one as my first new school build was the fact that they only have a V-brake mount (not a U-brake)

and no gyro tabs. (though I have it on good authority that you can't use a gyro with a V-brake)

As far as the retro bikes that a few of the old companies have made, I think the quads and rippers are by far the best.......

you've really got me thinking I want one now  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:44 PM »
 :) Do you mean the Retro one? Look good but flexy as hell.Ok for posing on but don`t rate `em for any serious riding.You could always use a linear cable instead of a gyro unless you`re doing loads of whips/barspins.Also from experience,I reckon the parts on SE completes are not up to much.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:07 AM by VOIVOD »

sam hudson

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:14 AM »

you've really got me thinking I want one now  :daumenhoch:
[/quote]

Excellent  ;D

Liking the Garth Marenghi's Dark Place Avatar as well (thats at least two people that have seen the series now  :LolLolLolLol:)

So they are flexy ??? Thats not great. My 05 Ripper is my main bike when I (annually) get on the track so the Quad wont get thrashed. Interesting tho...were the original Reynolds tubed Quads as flexy I wonder??

Cheers guys.

telelogic

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Well,

the whole idea was to stop the flex that Stu Thompson was getting from his race bike!

I guess that in an old school sense it has low flex, but more flax than a full on new school racer.

they have sorted the geometry though! make sure you get the longer one if you're tall or want to blast the track.

I'd hold out for a used frame/forks, they go really cheap and it means that you won't end up with a box full of parts that you paid for but don't use!

I do like the black and gold combo, always reminds me of Senna's Lotus  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:05 PM »
 :) The earlier OS Quads were much shorter so maybe the extra length on the newer ones doesn`t help? Have you looked at the alloy pre-Fuji Quads or the later alloy ones?

sam hudson

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Yeah, I do like the 'new' quads but they are more bulky than the old school variety. I'm with you on the lotus thing....black & gold...can't go wrong! :daumenhoch: There are a couple of black frames on sale, I'll have a think.

The 2010 has 'power wing' bars however...proper old school and its green!!

Thanks guys, I'll let you know if I get it.

One final question on this issue, does anyone know anything about 'Shiner' ?? They are the main distributor for SE but their website is full of bikes from 2006/7...its a bit pants if you want to buy new SE stuff...sure you can look at the SE web page but it doesn't mean you can buy that stuff in the UK. Surely the main distibutor should have an up to date web site??  >:(

telelogic

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Try talking to stodgy at the rad shop.

I'm pretty sure he can get SE stuff and he'll be a mine of information on the do's and don'ts.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Thinking of buying a 2009 Quad looptail - any thoughts people??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx