gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Remove bearing race from forks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Remove bearing race from forks  (Read 1580 times)

Plinth Adenoid

Remove bearing race from forks
« on: July 09, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Hey everyone.

I have another of those "get this razzer facking ***** off" questions, this time the bearing race on the forks. This is the state of it:

Pretty knackered, and I didn't notice this before...

I can't get my mole grips on it, there's not enough to grip,  I've tried a hacksaw but I'm pretty sure this is hardend steel. I'm considering drilling it with a tiny bit in my pillar drill until I can split it but wondered if anyone else had experience. Heat?

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: Remove bearing race from forks
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Get a Stanley blade a gently tap it into the gap between the crown race and the fork. Do this all the way round until there is a couple of mill gap.

Then take a thin bladed screwdriver or a chisel and do the same and gradually prise it up the forks until it comes off.

p.s Get an adult to help you with the sharp blade and wear eye protection. The blades have a habit of shattering if you hit them to hard.

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:56 PM »
leave it where it is between the jaws of your workbench (but preferably a vice) and hit the top of the fork with a hide mallet (of failing that, with a hammer placing a bit of wood on the top of the forks so as not to damage it). Don't forget to prevent damage to the fork as it drops with something soft  :daumenhoch:

Plinth Adenoid

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:56 PM »

p.s Get an adult to help you with the sharp blade and wear eye protection. The blades have a habit of shattering if you hit them to hard.

:LolLolLolLol:

Good idea, I'll give that a try tonight, thanks!

Plinth Adenoid

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 05:04 PM »
leave it where it is between the jaws of your workbench (but preferably a vice) and hit the top of the fork with a hide mallet (of failing that, with a hammer placing a bit of wood on the top of the forks so as not to damage it). Don't forget to prevent damage to the fork as it drops with something soft  :daumenhoch:

Cheers Moose, I did consider that but then on closer inspection I realised that the race is sat on a flange on the forks. Tee hee, I said flange...

Lucky I realised before I went mental on it!

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:35 PM »

Cheers Moose, I did consider that but then on closer inspection I realised that the race is sat on a flange on the forks. Tee hee, I said flange...

Lucky I realised before I went mental on it!

The race sits proud of the flange  :daumenhoch:

Plinth Adenoid

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:39 PM »

Moose, you're a genius! I will never doubt your knowledge!

Top tip to others in this predicament... 1) My pic above pointing out race and forks os wrong, it's all race. 2) put something soft on the floor for your forks to land on..... d'oh!

EDIT: And then I read that Moose advised the soft landing too. Ah never mind, didn't hurt em, them just clanged a lot!

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:36 PM »
Easy bud ,put headlock nut on forks till tightish . Place in vice with nut on btm of vice . Clamp in vice using 2 blocks of wood. then remove race with selected tools  ;) Rubber hammer , then ur choice . Best way in my book cos no knackered threads  8)

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 10:57 PM »
get old head set nut on top of forks where thread is and screw it on a bit,turn forks upside down and get someone to hold the drop outs while you get a punch or something similar and gently tap either side of the race that is visible in turn and it will come off :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:00 AM »
whats wrong with the old twat from a chisel and lump hamer?    :coolsmiley:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 03:11 PM »

Moose, you're a genius! I will never doubt your knowledge!

Top tip to others in this predicament... 1) My pic above pointing out race and forks os wrong, it's all race. 2) put something soft on the floor for your forks to land on..... d'oh!

EDIT: And then I read that Moose advised the soft landing too. Ah never mind, didn't hurt em, them just clanged a lot!

It's official - I am a genius. Thanks dude  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Remove bearing race from forks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx