gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975768 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 02:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Fat old bloke, on a kids bike, defies gravity...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fat old bloke, on a kids bike, defies gravity...  (Read 999 times)

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
Fat old bloke, on a kids bike, defies gravity...
« on: July 03, 2010, 11:15 AM »
... a bit :crazy2:

I was having a little play out this morning with my lad on the field below where we live. I tried a few manuals and got bored quickly. There were a few Y-shaped twigs scattered around so I decided to build a bunny-hop stand. Without much of a warm up I was clearing 16 inches, then 18 inches, then the height of my front wheel and tyre (~20 inches?).
I was building up speed on the road next to the field and jumping up onto the grass for a softer landing.

I know it's not that impressive compared to what some of you get up to (eg Glen) but I was happy enough.
After the wake up call of crashing on the downhill run at Stainburn forest on my cruiser (doh!) I've now gone a month without crashing or wiping out. This is probably a record for me.

sweetbeats

Re: Fat old bloke, on a kids bike, defies gravity...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:44 AM »
Little Steps...just nailed 360 kickturns yesterday off a grass bank been practising them most evenings for a week....now want to get it to 540,could only ever do them as a kid on my mk1 pro burner cos it was tiny  :LolLolLolLol: nothing better than pushing stuff that bit further  :daumenhoch:

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Spending time on yer bike, its what its all about

Good on ya dude...  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Yeah, I think small steps is good as long as you keep seeing improvements. I was never a freestyler BitD but I could bunnyhop crates and things like that. I could do endos, framestands, 180s and that was about it. I mainly loved racing and jumping in the woods etc, or spending a day at a track doing the jumps backwards, jumping berms etc. I guess you'd call that 'sessioning' a track these days.

sweetbeats

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:00 PM »
Yeah, I think small steps is good as long as you keep seeing improvements. I was never a freestyler BitD but I could bunnyhop crates and things like that. I could do endos, framestands, 180s and that was about it. I mainly loved racing and jumping in the woods etc, or spending a day at a track doing the jumps backwards, jumping berms etc. I guess you'd call that 'sessioning' a track these days.

Keep going and with a bit of effort you move forwards....I expected to get back on an old school bike after many years and out ride the younger me,due to me being a bit stronger...I soon learned that was not going to be the case when my Haro threw me across the car park attempting a roll back 180  :LolLolLolLol: which I could piss as a nipper....I could do over a hundred backhops aged 13/14 managed to get that upto about 15/25 at the moment but will keep pushing and it's all good fun.

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Sounds like your having a good laugh mate and clearing 20 inches is pretty good in my book  :4_17_5:

It's just great getting out there and riding again no matter how good/bad you are  :daumenhoch:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

In2 bmx

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 01:35 PM »
It's amazing just keeping riding your bike ( even if to the pub and back like me  ) how quick things come back. Got my wheelies to about 50 meters or more now and my 180 rolls backs and 360's are miles better than 3 months ago . I just love it!!!! These BMX bikes have changed me the last 12 months. ( a lot less money in the bank yet fooking lots happier ) :daumenhoch:   

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 02:51 PM »
sounds like a good effort to me Jon :daumenhoch:
i am crap at bunnyhops but have made a significant breakthru on the manual front :daumenhoch:
managed to manual both sets of the low doubles and the hip double at Yeadon on weds.
i was fookin stoked! :smitten:
lets hope i can keep it up :D

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Good stuff Andy - I went past on Wednesday on the way back from rehearsal and I saw your car in the car park. I didn't stop cos I needed an early night.
I've still not managed to ride through that fearsome first double at Yeadon at a respectable speed yet.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 03:20 PM »
These BMX bikes have changed me the last 12 months. ( a lot less money in the bank yet fooking lots happier ) :daumenhoch:   

Spot on mate; quality of life is all important. You can't take it with you.

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Good stuff Andy - I went past on Wednesday on the way back from rehearsal and I saw your car in the car park. I didn't stop cos I needed an early night.
I've still not managed to ride through that fearsome first double at Yeadon at a respectable speed yet.

did a manual over those too,albeit at a slower speed,shat me pants :D,front end felt really light,which is how its meant to feel,i think :D.
apparently they are really difficult to manual because they throw you into the air and i was told not to practice on them for that reason :LolLolLolLol:

motomagII

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 06:43 PM »
yes they are really hard to manual i have bruises everywhere to proove thast lol

sweetbeats

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 07:53 PM »
It's amazing just keeping riding your bike ( even if to the pub and back like me  ) how quick things come back. Got my wheelies to about 50 meters or more now and my 180 rolls backs and 360's are miles better than 3 months ago . I just love it!!!! These BMX bikes have changed me the last 12 months. ( a lot less money in the bank yet fooking lots happier ) :daumenhoch:   

Spent a whole hour practicing roll back 180's last week nothing else and my back was fookin killing  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Fat old bloke, on a kids bike, defies gravity...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx