gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975768 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 10:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  OS in the North!! What now after BC have kicked us out of the Brits!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OS in the North!! What now after BC have kicked us out of the Brits!!  (Read 7058 times)

TonyDaButcher

Re: OS in the North!! What now after BC have kicked us out of the Brits!!
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 11:26 PM »
A few people on this forum have little or no understanding of how regional BMX racing works right now.
Maybe that is why they have such a very poor opinion of the people that plan, stage and run races in the UK.

Here's a brief explaination of how it works in the South..
The Region is run entirely by volunteers, the same volunteers that run the clubs. (and the same volunteers that are the commission).
Race fees are the Regions only form of income.
Race fees are shared equally 50/50 between the Club and the Region.
The Club can spend the money on what it wishes.
The Region will pay for paramedics, payback, trophies, plates and shirts for the Brits, stationry and equipment (banners etc).
The Region intends to have no money left at the end of the season, it must all be ploughed back into the series one way or another.

I hope this is helpful, please don't take these people for granted, please stop and think before you put these people down, we need all the helpers we can get.

moley

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 07:11 PM »
...............please don't take these people for granted, please stop and think before you put these people down, we need all the helpers we can get.

No OS'er in the North has ever taken the Regional organisers for granted.   The North region has always supported OS and has always encouraged us.   

And we in turn have always supported our region and will continue to do so.   That was never in doubt!!  :daumenhoch:

AL

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Tony is correct in what he is saying ..

No ones  geting Rich out of this  :2funny:

For example  the money that Andover made at events  this year , is now being invested , into the purchase of some scaffold poles !!  That we are going to contruct  some pens  out off ..

I know the idea is to plough rest of  the  South money back in as  Promo banners , Brits team shirts,  etc etc  ........

Again the Regional teams, who are in weekly contact with all the club contacts ...  All do it for the love of the sport and a free sandwich  :P

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 11:25 PM »
I hope this is helpful, please don't take these people for granted, please stop and think before you put these people down, we need all the helpers we can get.

I'm struggling to fine the posts where anyone has "put these people down"....

The only anger and disillusionment is with the BCF for their bombastic decisions.
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 12:22 AM »
 :) Sure RVR can do something for you.We must be the only club in the land to still have a manual gate.(new gate/mech planned for the near future.)

TonyDaButcher

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 08:34 PM »

I'm struggling to fine the posts where anyone has "put these people down"....

The only anger and disillusionment is with the BCF for their bombastic decisions.

There are plenty of examples, depends who you think makes these decisions and who you think BCF are.
It wasn't a decision of British Cycling to not include old school as a championship class next year, it was a decision made by the BMX commission.
The BMX commission are Mums and Dads, volunteers, the very same people that organise the regional races that you enjoy.
They're the people that you are putting down.

moley

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 09:38 PM »
I think the decision is wrong to include the OS in the Brits and then chuck us out a year later.   But I understand why the Commission made its decision.  I dont like it but I understand their point of view.   

I have proposed to the North Region AGM for the OS Oop North to be re-catorgorized as an 'Open' class, as there is no age or gender restriction,  20 and 24" can be raced and  the only limit is OS legality of the bike!!   

In reality it is really more of an Open class than a Competitive class as it includes extremely old unfit Novices to experienced racers like Oggy at Crewe and doesn't fit recognised age/bike categories of a competitive class.

If the Brits want an OS Race to show off then I would help out if needed.   And I will be attendance to film the Brits next year if people want me to.   Hopefully I could have a nice place to film from so that I could film the entire track.   I missed out on all of the 1st berm action.   :(

So I have no problem with anyone!!    I would welcome a few drinks with the commission at next years Brits (especially if they are buying)!!    :daumenhoch:

TonyDaButcher

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 10:59 PM »
I think you've identified part of the problem Moley, you could in theory have 40 year old men racing 6 year old girls, a nightmare for the health and safety brigade. and I can't think of any other sports where this would be possible.

In 2007 at Burnham Brits, there were children riding new school bikes in the old school class, but no-one seemed to mind because it was a fun race and it was for charity, that wouldn't have gone down too well this year at Cheddar though, because turning it into a championship class will make it more competitive, naturally.

Do you have an adult age band in your regs? Might be an idea.

(edit) Sorry to go off topic.

moley

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 11:03 PM »
Do you have an adult age band in your regs? Might be an idea.

Good idea!!   

Adults 17+ maybe!!

Its something to think about!!

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 10:44 AM »
What's the latest with this?
I'll be doing some OS races in 2010, particularly whichever regionals I can get to.
I'll probably have to sell my cruiser to get a reasonable OS bike so would I be okay to ride an OS bike at club races where there's no OS offered?
Would I need BCF membership if I never race as an expert at regionals etc?

ta, Jon

moley

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 11:24 AM »
What's the latest with this?
I'll be doing some OS races in 2010, particularly whichever regionals I can get to.
I'll probably have to sell my cruiser to get a reasonable OS bike so would I be okay to ride an OS bike at club races where there's no OS offered?
Would I need BCF membership if I never race as an expert at regionals etc?

ta, Jon

I wrote a letter to BC Commission and have talked to Roger Wilbraham on the phone.

If there is an Old Skool Class at regionals then the same rules apply for any expert class.  After the 1st of May or after the first 2 summer regionals (so long as they are before the 1st May) then you need a BC Silver Membership + FREE Provisional Racing License.   And that also includes the South's decision to make OS a Novice Class.   Roger said that they aren't allowed to do that.

He said Old Skool wouldn't be at the Brits and wouldn't be reinstated due to (basically) only 2 regions having an Old Skool Class.  Whether that would change in the future if other regions have regular and healthy gates of OS, I dont know but I doubt it.   

Maybe in a couple of years time and OS is taken up by nearly all regions and are regularly pulling in 16 riders per meet then maybe we could force our way back in.   It not worth bothering about the moment.  If it happens then so be it.   If it doesn't then they are the ones' missing out!!

OS is an expert class so you will still be able to race OS to gain qualification to race at the Brits in whatever class your eligible for (Masters, Veterans, Cruiser etc, etc).

The only way to avoid the BC Membership fee is have OS at Club meets instead of regionals.   You could then work out a race calendar based on 8 events (or 10 including Heywood's and both Leeds Tracks) from club meets.   You'd only then pay the £3 or £4 club entry fee.  Also if no one liked a Track then they could drop it from the series and have 2 at sunny Hartlepool instead etc, etc.   

I personally dont want to do this because I like the atmosphere of regional events and club meets are not the same craic.   But thats the only way to do it if you want to avoid the BC Membership fees.

I threw an idea about the OS Grands at Preston to Roger.   Until the Summer Series Race calendar is available then these ideas can't be discussed because they would need approval from the North Region and Preston Club etc, etc and I have no authority over this event as it was just an idea thrown at Roger.   I'll wait until the Dates are confirmed and then propose the idea which would be of benefit to the casual OS rider and see if its approved.

Thats about!!   Nothing changed.  I didn't think they would.

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about the Club meets instead of Regionals.

My vote is for Regionals!!   Better craic, bigger attendances,  more spectacular!! :daumenhoch:

.............but more costly..................but hey...........I'm worth it!!  :D

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 11:33 AM »
as it is is cool with me, i think club meet dates may be a little unpredictable and i need plenty of notice ::)

JD_76

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Im with you Moley, stick with the regionals - good news about still being able to qualify for the brits - we should all opt to ride a N/S bike for a tussle at the brits.

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45 AM »
I've haven't been to a club meet but my vote goes to Regionals.

Regionals have a great atmoshere and (i'm guessing) the facilites are better with St. Johns, burger vans etc. The reduced fees for club meets isn't a factor - when I'd be spending £20-30 on petrol anyway the saving would be negligable.

I don't have a BC licence at the moment but I have no objections to paying for one when I need to - there are benefits to having one, such as insurance etc...

Old School needs new (old) riders joining all the time. This best achieved when the OSS is most visable, at regional not club events.

I'd like to see all clubs having an old school gate anyway, in addition to an OSS series at Regional level

REGIONALS get my vote  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:51 AM by James Nada »

Offline R Al

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 11:47 AM »
I agree, lets stick with the regionals and if you qualify for the brits and really want to ride your OS, do it in whatever class available, would love the look on some of their faces  >:D

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 12:06 PM »
Sounds good for the regionals - I was mainly checking that I didn't pay out for what I didn't need.
It's very unlikely I'd want to go to the 'proper' brits but an alt version at MK would be ace I reckon, camping, refreshments etc. :daumenhoch:
Jon

moley

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 01:03 PM »
You only need a BC Silver Membership for Summer regionals after 1st May or after the first 2 summer regionals (whichever is sooner).

So dont do anything yet until the Summer Series!!  :daumenhoch:

I think memberships is half price from the 1st July (I could be wrong though)

MK is the true British OS Championships.

Hopefully the OS Grands at Preston will get bigger too!!  :daumenhoch:

Davey

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Regionals for me  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
I wondered if anyone has had any further thoughts or ideas on this subject?

The regional races are great and have the right sort of big race feel and atmosphere to them. However I do feel that BCF are basically taking the p1ss with the money they take from us compared to what we get out of it. I'm more than happy to support the individual clubs and regions that DO seem to give a stuff about OS, and novice riders for that matter.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
It's apparent that very little of the money we give to BCF is gonna be used to support BMX anyway http://www.bmxtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29361&start=20  :tickedoff:

There are plenty of club/open races, MK11, Bob Fields Grands, and other one-off races like the Beaverbrooks BMX chamionships at Lytham that probably DON'T require a BCF sliver license.  Could we put together an unofficial series from these events in the future?

dan-dare

What exactly does one receive from the BCF, in terms of support reflected in ones racing?

.....absolutely fooking none. Nothing at all.

Having injured myself considerably at one of their sanctioned events, I received absolutely nothing in terms of support following this event. They were either unaware, or not interested.

The next I heard from them, approximately one year later, was a letter/email which began to the effect;

"We hope your 2009 season has been a success, and it is now time to renew your licence"

.....so what purpose does this BCF membership actually serve? Do the North Region tracks see any of this revenue?

HEYWOOD BMX

The Feds are a disgrace to BMX,both OS and newschool.We`ve had a BC development knob attend one of our club meetings once,his input was a big fat zilch.... :2gunsfiring_v1:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  OS in the North!! What now after BC have kicked us out of the Brits!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx