gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 05:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway wheel refurbishment
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway wheel refurbishment  (Read 1701 times)

theskywayman

Skyway wheel refurbishment
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:31 AM »
Hello

I have a pair of Skyway Graphites. They are either 2nd gen or 3rd gen - pass! :) :)

The gold on the hubs have faded badly. I have taken pictures of them in another section of this site.

Is there anyone on here who I can send them to who can put the original finish back on them?

Thanks Jack.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Skyway wheel refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Best kept as they are as it's nearly impossible to re-fit the hubs as the rivets are very hard to replicate and putting them back together with nuts and bolts would devalue them.  Unless of course you are very handy in a machine shop and then you could make your own rivets and forming tool to get the shape of the ends correct.

Paul at CCA can anodise gold but not sure if they would come up the same colour gold as the originals so you may end up less happy with the results.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

theskywayman

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Maybe I will keep them as is then. It's an awful shame as the gold element is what made them differnt from normal Skyway tuff II's.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Maybe I will keep them as is then. It's an awful shame as the gold element is what made them differnt from normal Skyway tuff II's.

No, the graphite content in the wheels is what makes them very different to normal Tuff II's  :daumenhoch:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:26 PM »
2 ways to do it

you get lucky that the guy on here who can drill the rivets out and reform them ,steps up and voulenteers to do it

or you find a good machineshop to do it. its been done many times with great results.

Coastvl

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Or you can find the aussie guy with one of the original Skyway Spin rivet machines !
Would be easier to do it in the UK I guess.

Rodgy1970

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Since the hubs have only faded and are not actually damaged I would be inclined leave them alone if they were mine.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Or you can find the aussie guy with one of the original Skyway Spin rivet machines !
Would be easier to do it in the UK I guess.

LOL!  And we know who that guy is....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway wheel refurbishment

gfxgfx
gfx gfx