gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring black ukai speedlines advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoring black ukai speedlines advice  (Read 1911 times)

modfather

Restoring black ukai speedlines advice
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:23 PM »
I would like some help and advice from anyone who has restored these black ukai speedlines. If so? have you anodise em black but me with no knowledge how do you keep the white lines in the rim if you know what am talking about, As anodising would cover it up, also the side of the rims to keep them silver where the brake wears happen. I would appreciate any advice and guide that would help greatly
 :coolsmiley:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Restoring black ukai speedlines advice
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Drop Paul at CCA a PM as he's probably best placed to advise on what he can do.  The sidewalls can be taped but I am not sure about the machined lines  :-\.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:04 PM »
I think the gay pensioner did a nice job of restoring some too  :daumenhoch:

trasher

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:03 PM »

I think the gay pensioner did a nice job of restoring some too  :daumenhoch:

cheers john 

yep got paul at cc to do the anno ,and shineside work

then when i got them back ,i went around the the speedline bit with one of those paint pens ,,a real fine nib ,and any of the paint that went onto the rim was wiped
of lightly with a cloth and a little nail varnish remover

turned out prety good  :daumenhoch:

modfather

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 04:07 PM »
WOW! What a lovely restoration there cheers for some tips  ;)

dancti

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:48 AM »
Hi,

Just the same question I had, I have a a set with white trimline inserted in and was wondering if there was another way to remove and reveal the shine. I read on another tread that oven pride removes anodising not sure if that would work with a fine brush then washing off.

ozone

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:13 PM »
I would like some help and advice from anyone who has restored these black ukai speedlines. If so? have you anodise em black but me with no knowledge how do you keep the white lines in the rim if you know what am talking about, As anodising would cover it up, also the side of the rims to keep them silver where the brake wears happen. I would appreciate any advice and guide that would help greatly
 :coolsmiley:

Are they for an E.T?  If so, the sides should be black, ideally.  A used bike would have lost the black because of brake wear so I suppose you could go down that route but I think it's quite hard to mask off areas when anodising so black sides would be easiest.  I have no idea how paul could mask the speed lines to keep them silver so anodising the rims black then machining the lines and sides seems the only way you could restore a set of those rims.  It would probably be simpler to find a decent set of survivor rims so you could have the sides polished.  I know they're not exactly common anymore so I expect they'll be mucho $$$$.   ::) 

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:20 PM »
I've seen some re-machined ones after a full anno, sounds easy if you have someone to do it for you  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring black ukai speedlines advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx