gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 12:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  black chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: black chrome  (Read 1122 times)

Glen

black chrome
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:00 PM »
whats the finish applied over normal chrome to get black chrome?  I seem to remember Neil mentioning some kind of tinted lacquer ?

monkian

Re: black chrome
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:16 PM »
I'm not sure but didn't he come up with a paint effect to replicate the look?
Probably best to post something on rewind.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:17 PM »

i havent seen black chrome replicated yet, but did get quoted £350 to get a f&f done

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:18 PM »
the chromers i use say its a process that they called bastardising the chrome, not a coating over the top......
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:13 PM »
the chromers i use say its a process that they called bastardising the chrome, not a coating over the top......
most chromers seem to be able to barstardise it lately :LolLolLolLol:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 12:50 AM »
Mark (FHMreader) and Neil (N2CUS) had a sort of laquer that got sprayed over polished chrome. Mark had the colour spot on, and Neil put his custom touch to it.

FHMreader is an exact match and is almost brown in the light :daumenhoch:

N2Cus has a sort of grey / green hue to it :daumenhoch:

I think the chrome was actually tinted when it was laid originally though, but they'll be plenty on here who can confirm that :coolsmiley:

Spen
Still limping......

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 04:01 PM »
I think when n2cus did that pro class it was just black paint. The frame had been blasted 1st and was free of chrome altogether.
The paint effect he researched for ages to go over chrome was for the harry leary turbo.
FHM seems have got close for Pro class and n2cus close for the HLT.
FHM also did a black chrome finish which was darker than his pro class one, it was for the CW phase 1 that db250 did a couple of year ago. That looked lush too. 8)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Yep, Neil did a black ProClass as it was my old one before I bought the one in the photo above off DB250 and he wanted to do something custom :coolsmiley:

Mark FHMReader does a load of work for Burnerworld and they all use him for tier Night Burners and Super Tuff Burners, so he's got this colouring over chrome pretty nailed - the custom Job Neil did for my daughter's Mingoose (the Mini-Class!) was an experiment and looks fookin' awesome, so I kept it that colour. Mind you, the chrome underneath has to be pretty good from memory. :daumenhoch:

Spen
Still limping......

dj_benice

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 02:10 PM »

Yup the interview with geoff barraclough of gbgt states that the GT process was to reverse the electric flow through the chrome...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  black chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx