gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 08:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  what nu-school ramp/jump bike to buy?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: what nu-school ramp/jump bike to buy?  (Read 5621 times)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
what nu-school ramp/jump bike to buy?
« on: April 09, 2006, 04:34 PM »
Guys, need some advice as I'm thinking of getting a nu-school bike but having taken a look at what's about am not too sure what to go for.  I'd like something that I can ride the ramps on and jump not really into too much flatland (joints can't take it anymore  :LolLolLolLol: ).  I do like the look of the Haro Sport 06 but not too into the colours (although that could be changed - love the white on RomBlokes Mirra, SWEET  ;D ).

Any recommendations?  Price wise I'm thinking of around £250 but could be persuaded to spend a little more to get somethign that does weigh a tonne!  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

motomagII

Re: what nu-school ramp/jump bike to buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 04:49 PM »
well i asked the same question 6 months ago or so i got the mirra pro and hated it .then i got a haro 540 and a mirra flair and they were both absolutely spot on great price great bikes .and at good price .540 are around £200 flair is about 270.00 .they are good bikes for the money also consider looking at the dk bikes think theres a model at 220.00 thats really well specced out .cant beat haro in my mind though

madall

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Try alansbmx as he has some nice "We the People" complete bikes in at around your budget and they are as good as it gets for the money I reckon. I suspect there will be a few mails with different opinions but try alans anyway www.alansbmx.com

Allan M

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 04:58 PM »
true wep are nice but bit expensive compared to the haro range not much but your looking at extra 50 ish or more for not a lot

RADHAB

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Extreme direct is about as cheap as you can get fella.

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 05:16 PM »
I think radbmx.co.uk should tap up Haro to give them some sponsorship - the amount of times their bikes are recommended by rad members, you'd think we were 'pushers'  ;D :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 05:22 PM by Moose »

motomagII

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 05:20 PM »
true mate .but they are good cheap bikes

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 05:29 PM »
true mate .but they are good cheap bikes

And the name is synonymous with freestyle and classy bikes (loved my gen 1 bitd, just didn't realise its true potential)  :daumenhoch:

So you guys recon the 540 or mirra flair then?  What are they like to jump and ride in general and  what about weight-wise, are they heavy?

motomagII

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 06:11 PM »
theyare heavier than old school for sure im just getting used to mine which is now the flair it weighs in at 33lbs which is tad heavy by about 3 lbs or so but not bad for new school at all.the 540 actually felt better to be honest although not much difference but cheaper

RADHAB

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 06:24 PM »
theyare heavier than old school for sure im just getting used to mine which is now the flair it weighs in at 33lbs which is tad heavy by about 3 lbs or so but not bad for new school at all.the 540 actually felt better to be honest although not much difference but cheaper

33LB!!!!!!!! Feck me!!! Talk to the quimrider about some lightening tips, his bike is about 8lb lighter then that!

weston

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 06:49 PM »
diamondback abbetor, cant beat it for the money & for rideability, ive had 2 haro 540's, they ride sh1t,old schoolers buy them because of the haro name like i did but when you ride something else you will soon change your mind...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 06:51 PM by weston »

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 08:05 PM »
lol....they ride shit....now if sombody had said get a t1 barcode would anyone have said that.
mirra series bikes and the t1 share the same geometry.
mmmmm......

Dave
haro, how do you do

weston

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 11:50 PM »
lol....they ride shit....now if sombody had said get a t1 barcode would anyone have said that.
mmmmm......

Dave
nearly but noy quite, most modern bmx's have the same headtube angle (74.5) & the same back end (14.5) but thats it, the t1 has a tt length of 20.6 or 21,it also has a bb hight of 11.8, seat tube angle 71 etc, compared to the 540,tt 20.5, seat tube 70, bb hight 11.5 etc.... these changes may be small compared to the 540 but they make alot of difference when you ride them + i only posted my message to wind you all up ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 11:54 PM by weston »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 12:25 AM »
mmmmm......

Dave
nearly but noy quite, most modern bmx's have the same headtube angle (74.5) & the same back end (14.5) but thats it, the t1 has a tt length of 20.6 or 21,it also has a bb hight of 11.8, seat tube angle 71 etc, compared to the 540,tt 20.5, seat tube 70, bb hight 11.5 etc.... these changes may be small compared to the 540 but they make alot of difference when you ride them + i only posted my message to wind you all up ;D ;D ;D

Looks like it worked!  :LolLolLolLol:

I still don't think I am any the wiser though!

I like Haro as you say it's the name game (plus they do look good) I also quite like the SE bikes, the WEP look good too.  Anyone tried the new SE's at all?

theRuler

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 09:43 AM »
people get used to different bikes
best bet is get to bones on saturday and have a go on a few and see which one feels good.
handlebar size makes a huge difference.

motomagII

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 06:13 PM »
true ive changed the bars on me new flair 3 times now and not sure still .but get to bones you can ride mine to try no probs and im suire there will be a 540 there to try plus a few others .

scary_leary

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 06:43 PM »
KHE Dirty buster around £230
gawd knows how it rides..but it looks good.

saying that i'd just buy a used bike off ecrotch..£250dabs would get a real gem 2nd hand

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 07:08 PM »
oh my god......2.5 mm.......

i better go home.......ive rode bills old t1 barcode, and obviously my own mirra, and to be honest, i couldnt tell the difference in the tt...2.5mm, nor the 1 degree difference in the seat tube angle...but im not a pro rider, so i wouldnt.  ;)

Dave
haro, how do you do

RADHAB

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2006, 09:35 PM »
Thats the problem these days Dave, there are so many pro's around especially on here you just cant move for em.......Blimey ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 09:40 PM »
Thats the problem these days Dave, there are so many pro's around especially on here you just cant move for em.......Blimey ;)

And their prices are quite reasonable too  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh, hang on wrong forum and different pro's ... :LolLolLolLol:

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 09:55 PM »
I also didn't want a new school bike to weigh a ton. My beergut makes up plenty weight on its own. I think it must be made of stainless steel too. ;D I went for a S&m Stricker frame. i haven't built it up yet, so don't know what the final weight will be. Terrible one barcode has a good reputation. Proper bikes also seem to have a good reputation

The site below had reviews on new school frames etc.  have a look at it..

http://www.bmx-test.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?category=frames
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

RADHAB

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 11:04 PM »

And their prices are quite reasonable too  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh, hang on wrong forum and different pro's ... :LolLolLolLol:

Pmsl :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: You on that one as well Marty? :LolLolLolLol:

weston

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 11:22 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

RADHAB

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 11:26 PM »
I also didn't want a new school bike to weigh a ton. My beergut makes up plenty weight on its own. I think it must be made of stainless steel too. ;D I went for a S&m Stricker frame. i haven't built it up yet, so don't know what the final weight will be. Terrible one barcode has a good reputation. Proper bikes also seem to have a good reputation

The site below had reviews on new school frames etc.  have a look at it..

http://www.bmx-test.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?category=frames

Proper Bikes are.........................well............Proper..Anyone here got one???? :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  what nu-school ramp/jump bike to buy?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx