gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 06:47 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Am I too late??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Am I too late??  (Read 5305 times)

Superkav

Am I too late??
« on: April 08, 2006, 05:01 PM »
As a kid I didn't belong to a BMX club and as we were poor and had no car I never got to a track. I did learn some basic tricks but never ever touched a bowl or got any air but I wish I had. Now I'm bigger and older I want to accomplish a few of my 'should have done this by now's) and want to get some air.

It seems you guys are all serious ex racers who are fully competent at the local track/park. Am I too old to learn?? I'm 32, fit and healthy. Should I find a skate park or BMX park and just turn up or will I be laughed out of the place and look like a wank3r?? (**NB** I don't already look like a wank3r) ;D

motomagII

Re: Am I too late??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 05:08 PM »
i went to the local skatepark and could do shit but all the lads there or most of em were really cool and sound .go for it i say .ps i can still do nowt now lol

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 05:58 PM »
1 st step go to rom
2nd step ride flat out into bowl
3rd step dont fall of on landing
4th if you do you would have caught up on all the falls you would have had years back
5th if still alive or contious ,give your self a pat on the back. :daumenhoch:

silentpartner

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 06:10 PM »
get out there, go in the day when there's no one about and practise. where abouts do you live, try and team up with someone off here to ride with locally.

alan  ;)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 08:09 PM »
get to a rad meet up.
were all no good at riding lol.
dave the bmxing gypo

Superkav

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 08:23 PM »
Wicked, sounds like there's still hope LOL. I live in Watford, where's ROM?? Theres a skate park near me with a couple of small ramps that I might hot first. I'll go during school time, otherwise it's full of cynical skaters.
When's the next Rad meet. Promise I won't bring my Burner ;D...well maybe my Team Pro when it's ready :coolsmiley: In fact, it'll be too nice to crash, I'll bring my budget build Aero Reflex. I'm sure little Kav won't mid. Might bring him too.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 08:50 PM »
romford ,upper rainham road ask for cardrome or rom skatepark :daumenhoch:

RADHAB

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Next rad meet is next Saturday at Bones skatepark up Norf...........Get on the M6 and follow yer nose!

fuzzynod

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 11:43 PM »
Get out there and ride dude I didnt start till I was 42 and I m loving it.When you go to the skatepark take a few tools with you and fix the locals hero's bike when it busts and you will soon be taken into the fold works everytime. :4_17_5:
See you at the next gathering
 :daumenhoch: 

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Hey Superkav

I'm from Ware and I go over to the trails at Dartford Heath every now and then. It's about 45-50 minutes for me if the traffic is good, but to me it's worth it as there are a few members from here who go as well. Bob_Acid, Humps and Region11 are there on a frequent basis, SanMarcoPizza, kdw712, muttley, trickydicky, benda666 and Mr Rusty are/were regulars too and are all top geezers.

I was really shit when I was a nipper and I'm really shit now too, but I don't let that bother me. I go when I can, trying to increase my confidence every time and as Humps would say 'jumping is easy, it's landing that's the hard part'  :daumenhoch:

iNyk

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Hey never too old - I am in the process of dusting down my old ride - have not ridden for around 22 years...!  I am now 36 - only difference is it seems to hurt more when you fall off  :LolLolLolLol:

So Moose - your a ware lad - I am just down the road from you...! Small world.

Nyk

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:27 PM »
yeah, I feel the same. I guess we all do. its something inside which has never went away. I intend to give it a few good years of enjoying BMX before the body gives up and says no more. I would really regret getting to that stage without giving it another go.

Its a bit intimidating getting to a skatepark and all the young-uns are ripping the place up, and here's me with  the full face on,  and all the pads doing kickturns, but they'll be in the same position when they are in their 30's.   "give these guys some encouragement." ;)

"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Beetroot

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 11:36 PM »
im in the same boat as the fella who started this thread , but not as old , i did race a bit at buckmore , brighton slough hounslow and a few others , but its been a long time since i have riden properly , i dont live to far from dartford and would love to meet up with a few of you guys one evening to be in decent company and not get laughed off by young wipper snapers.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 01:02 AM »
As long as you can ride a bike and smile at the same time, it's not too late.... ;D    Don't give it a second thought.  Is the small park and ramp still there in the childrens playground near the football ground?  One of mine, that is   ;)

Rom sunday mornings is the best place to start - there's always a fair gang of older riders there and no attitude to deal with at all. A few of the locals make a point of coming for the early session for this very reason  :)   The journey from Watford will only take you around 45 minutes or so and it's well worth a visit.

See you soon  ;)

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Hey Superkav, never too late. I was in the same position as you, hadn't ridden a BMX for 20 years, and decided to give it another go at 36.

Went to my very 1st meet at Epic this year, without much of an idea,  thought I was gonna look a right prat (probably did!), all those kind of fears, I was bricking it big time with the ramps, I didn't know anyone personally (only from e-mails) but by the end of the night I was real glad I went, was a massive buzz.

The rad members are cool, I received plenty of encouragement even though I couldn't bust any moves. We all gotta start/re-start somewhere so just give it a bash, by the end of the Epic evening, my self confidence grew, so much so I'm going to Bones this Sat :). I can't do much on the bike but I'm certainly gonna keep trying.

So just stick with it, do what you feel comfortable with rather than trying to impress and don't feel embarrassed, I've learnt from that. The first meet will always be the most difficult but once you start and get to meet the rad members you'll love it.....promise :daumenhoch:.

Vans Style

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 07:45 PM »
looks like aerostyllie is fast becoming the rad mascot!

sorry...

you know what i meant....
I want to touch ORB

rom_kid_04

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 07:50 PM »
its never too late to start riding, fuzzynod never rode as a kid i believe and he is airing and getting peg stalls down

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 07:57 PM »
he'd better not be the barsteward.

damn...i am spending too much time spraying and fettling and not enough time riding. Just wait till my ramp is done...grrrrrrrr
I want to touch ORB

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 08:13 PM »
looks like aerostyllie is fast becoming the rad mascot!

sorry...

you know what i meant....

How about the President...or is that being a bit of a cheeky monkey (GWBush style). Maybe set up a breakaway state called the United States of Radness 8).
I'll shut up!!
Vans Style

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 08:16 PM »

damn...i am spending too much time spraying and fettling and not enough time riding. Just wait till my ramp is done...grrrrrrrr

He's definately peg stalling - check out the videos, i think I've got 'em at both bones and epic....   and I'd be supremely confident he's airing now   ;)

Best start pulling your finger out there old fruitster   :knuppel2:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 08:19 PM »
you can be president of rad as long as you wear a suitable hat.
I want to touch ORB

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 08:22 PM »

He's definately peg stalling - check out the videos, i think I've got 'em at both bones and epic....   and I'd be supremely confident he's airing now   ;)

Best start pulling your finger out there old fruitster   :knuppel2:

right thats it...  ill be airing by this time in august or ill be in the infirmary checking out those uniforms.
I want to touch ORB

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 09:39 PM »
I'll visit on my way into work Fruit.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for rad mascot aerostylie on Saturday.  His story seems familiar  :)

madall

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 09:06 PM »
Its now or never mate so dont pass on this as you will always wish you had done it.  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: Get back to me in 1 year and tell me how right I am .

Andy
What bike are you riding now?, have you still got your old school rides?

Allan M

sadowdgit

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 11:44 PM »
I wish I had kept all my old Torkers and Gts :( but who would have thought we would be back into it after all this time. :daumenhoch:

Not me!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Am I too late??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx