gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:14 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Anodising question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anodising question  (Read 942 times)

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
Anodising question
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Is there any way of toning down anodising without stripping it?

Have an item that is far too dark to match the rest of the anodised parts on the bike.

Has anyone found a way ???
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Anodising question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:34 AM »
Sunlight will fade the anno over time but tbh there's not much else you can do unless a sunbed would work :-\

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:21 PM »
strip it and get it re annoed to match the other parts maybe

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 03:50 PM »
strip it and get it re annoed to match the other parts maybe

It's hard to match earlier colours 100% so that may not work and you could end up paying to be in the same position.

TBH, bitd a lot of the manufacturers had different tints to the ncolours so all your parts would rarely be a 100% colour match.  What part is it that you need to colour match?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:45 PM »
The item in question is the gold SR seatpost i got off of Bigplinky (:daumenhoch:) last week,
i feel it's too good to strip, but it's very orange/gold and all the other parts i have on the bike are regular yellow/gold, they are miles apart in colour terms.

I would be very happy if i could tone it down, it doesn't have to be 100% colour match as like you say different brands have slightly different shades.

i don't think i could have it re-anodised as it's made of two alloy parts (post ano' gold and adjuster head silver)

I have gold SR hubs on the same build but  the colour doesn't match them either :-\

If somebody doesn't come up with a tested method over the weekend i think i will be forced to do some experimenting of my own  :shocked:

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:44 PM »
Day 1:    4 hours in thinners (thought i'd start quite gentle), surprise sursprise....  No change ::)  2 hours in battery acid  :shocked: (i get bored too easy), changes have started, took it out as it was time to go home from work and didn't think it wise to leave it over night.

it's going back in in the morning so i'll let you know how day two pans out >:D

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:16 AM »

4 hours in thinners

2 hours in battery acid 

Fookin hell mate - make sure you wash your hands before you go for a p!ss  :shocked: :LolLolLolLol:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:17 PM »

4 hours in thinners

2 hours in battery acid 

Fookin hell mate - make sure you wash your hands before you go for a p!ss  :shocked: :LolLolLolLol:

You may joke my friend...

Shortly after starting work as a young lad, i was asked to change a battery on a car, after removing it from the car i carried it over to the scrap battery pile outside the workshop at waist height due to it's weight and me being only a wee lad, as i walked back to the car i could feel a burning sensation to my man-bits :shocked:, i quickly ran to the outside tap and covered myself in water. As the day went on it all calmed down and i thought nothing more of it.
The day had come to an end, i removed my overalls and set off to catch the bus. Got on and sat down for my 10 mile journey home without a care in the world. When the time came to get off, i jumped up and ran down the stairs and off the bus into the street with an uncomfortable breeze down below ??? looked down to find my jeans and pants had totaly fallen apart :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:. Needless to say i had to ran a further 3/4 mile home clutching my nadds hopping nobody noticed  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

The good old days :smitten: :smitten:

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 03:15 PM »
I know what you mean about the differences in golds, I've had quite a builds where this has been an issue:

My matches for orange Gold are:

Shimano Tourney Brakes - Shimano Dx Levers -  Pro Neck 2000 Stem - Suntour Seatclamp - Shimano Hubs - Hatta Headset

My Matches for Light Gold are:

Dia Comp MX1000 Brakes - Dia Comp Levers - DC Seatclamp - Suzie Hubs etc.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 03:39 PM »

4 hours in thinners

2 hours in battery acid 

You may joke my friend...

Shortly after starting work as a young lad, i was asked to change a battery on a car, after removing it from the car i carried it over to the scrap battery pile outside the workshop at waist height due to it's weight and me being only a wee lad, as i walked back to the car i could feel a burning sensation to my man-bits :shocked:, i quickly ran to the outside tap and covered myself in water. As the day went on it all calmed down and i thought nothing more of it.
The day had come to an end, i removed my overalls and set off to catch the bus. Got on and sat down for my 10 mile journey home without a care in the world. When the time came to get off, i jumped up and ran down the stairs and off the bus into the street with an uncomfortable breeze down below ??? looked down to find my jeans and pants had totaly fallen apart :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:. Needless to say i had to ran a further 3/4 mile home clutching my nadds hopping nobody noticed  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

The good old days :smitten: :smitten:

Fookin Funny Story  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Anodising question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx