gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hubs & bb's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hubs & bb's  (Read 619 times)

Frosty

Hubs & bb's
« on: April 07, 2006, 12:52 PM »
Techie questions,

what width are the bb's and hubs for bmx applications?

Just wondering for potential ordering of non bmx specific parts etc.

Ta

Paul

steve

Re: Hubs & bb's
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 01:22 PM »
i think
bmx and mb front hubs are both 110mm

-bmx rear is 110mm

-but mb's are 135mm

-but threaded earlier non cassete style rear hubs are in fact 110, but have a spcer in the spindle at 25mm, for clearing the cog stack

-newer cassette style rear hubs on the other hand, have a driver whicj is set at the 'if you like' 25mm so it is a constant 135mm

it is also worth noting - i think, that earlier cassette rear hubs have the bearing still in the hub, on the cog side
-but later, they put the bearing at the driver end
-make sense???

-anyhoo, shimano have just bought out a dxr bmx set - hubs etc that use a single speed 110mm cassette
-and seeing as that everyone else copies the pawwl and rathchet style of shimano, these single speed drivers maybe fitable to other brands 135's in order 'for example' to create a 14 spoke rolf primo rear hub, with single speed drive, also capable of disc brake mounting

-this is what i need anyway!!!!!!!

-ps, mountain bike front spindle - quick release use a 9mm spindle, whereas the rears are always 10mm-ie if you need a new hollow spindle for a bike, dont get a front spindle as you'll never get the wheel nuts, -plus of course it will be too short - get a rear one!!

-don't quote me tho!!!

-but you may be able to fit a single speed cassete drive from profile/whoever to some other hub!

-bb spindles due to single twin and triple chainsets, spindles differ in width from i think 112mm then up and up again, on old school crank arms, the arms 'usually have on built in offset, ie they are not s shaped-to clear the rear chain stay, ie i once fitted ta cranks to a pk ripper, and the arms hit the frame-neede a wider spindle
-old school us bbs have a threade spindle to take the race-and if loose ball thats it -beqaring to cup
-but on sealed ones i think thet just have a shoulder for the seled bearing to sit in

-modern  euro bb's are all sealed catridge styles now, available square or octalink - 8 splines, these do up using a special tool to engage the slots in the brearin cups , which then thread into the frame-the bearings-seald just sit in these

-cripes - yes i am bored - waiting for a delivery!!!

-hope i havn't told any porkies
 :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 01:25 PM by steve »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hubs & bb's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx