gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 04:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  nankai freecoaster
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: nankai freecoaster  (Read 11618 times)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
nankai freecoaster
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:01 PM »
anyone got an idea how much a 90's 48 hole nankai freecoaster in good condition is worth?

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: nankai freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:22 PM »
 :) DNA/Ultimate Hardware ones are about £30 new,so around the same?

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25 PM »
think its worth a bit more than that as nankai were the freecoasters to have in the 90's plus this one had a special owner  ;)

thecaptain

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:31 PM »
its only worth what your willing to pay at the end of the day.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:33 PM »
ultimate hardware 2/10  on a good day    nankai  8/10 on a good day   loose ball upgrade and alloy profile shell and a sweeeeeeett little coaster  .

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:09 PM »
after a little bit of research iv found out that its a mk2 nankai freecoaster with the welded on flanges from around 95-96 and was onwed by the infamous effraim catlow :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:30 PM »
think its worth a bit more than that as nankai were the freecoasters to have in the 90's plus this one had a special owner  ;)

I stand corrected! I had a Nankai last year,can`t recall where I got it,but doesn`t sound as good as yours,mine looked pretty poorly made and kept coming apart.Urbanair have a better looking one here:

http://www.urbanair.co.uk/bmx-wheels/hubs/nankai-freecoaster-hub/prod_970.html

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:34 PM »
this is mine

i take it the one in the link is a new school one?

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Hi all,

I think I can offer some insight into Nankai freecoasters as I've run one since they first appeared around the start to mid 90's ish (my mind is hazy). The picture below shows my original Techno Nankai. This has a chromed steel 48H shell, it is distinguished from the Techno-lite version (shown above) as the shell goes straight between the flanges as opposed to dipping down between the flanges as in the Techno-lite.

I have shown a picture of the hub dissassembled. From the right we have the drive side lock nut, a couple of one piece 11T drivers introduced around 1999 ish (this originally came with a driver for replaceable cogs, and came with a 16T cog, shown later), original hub shell 48H, below is the axle with the non-driveside bearing race and clutch spring part with non-drive side bearing seal installed, below them is the clutch and two clutch springs. Further on the left with have some non-drive side lock nuts (same as drive-side. Finally at the bottom is a new and a used 16T cog for the original driver.

The next picture shows a selection of hop-ups to the hub. The Standard axle is heat treated cromo and lasts a lot longer than the normal Nankai version. Bottom right is a packet for the Tekila (Mexican brand) alloy non-driveside dust cap to replace the steel Nankai version and Nankai steel lock nut. Then on the left of that we have a Kore 12T cog on the original driver from the hub previously shown. I also have some London bikes Titanium axles but haven't been able to find them for weeks.

Finally the current version of the Nankai hub I run which is fully hopped up. From the right, Primo Andy's Nuts 14mm drop-out to 10mm axle convertor, custom alloy spacer washer, Standard Heat treated cromo axle, Blue Six Titanium Locknuts, 11T driver, uncaged loose ball bearing modification, Profile 48H alloy shell, Tekila alloy dust cap and then another Blue Six Titanium locknut and Primo Andy's nut, oh and an Odyssey JPEG.

Bearing modification link...

http://www.free-coaster.com/html/unsealed_bearing_packing.html

The Tecnolite you are being offered probably retailed for about $150.00, way better/more expensive than DNA/Ultimate Hardware ones mentioned. The current Nankai Tecnolite 2 price...

http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=724

Any more questions please ask.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:39 PM by Dr.Robotnik »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 04:43 PM »
great hub that DR  you got that set up as it should be dialled , the newer bamboo isnt showing as much potential

but asked a few more modern than me riders the bamboo is a favourite of a few as time goes by..but not at first.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 05:57 PM »
ahh so mine is a techno-lite :daumenhoch:

any idea what year it is?

i wanna swap it for a super pro rim if anybody's intrested ;) ;)

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:20 AM »
cool info on the freecoaste dr.robotnik-do they still make 12t rear cogs?as i've got an old static freecoaster hub+want to run 32/12 gearing

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47 PM »
great hub that DR  you got that set up as it should be dialled , the newer bamboo isnt showing as much potential

Cheers mate. I'm interested in checking out a 14mm freecoaster but haven't heard great things about any. One will come up for the right price I'm sure though.

ahh so mine is a techno-lite :daumenhoch:

any idea what year it is?

Not sure exactly when they came out, possibly at the very very end of the 90's but most likely 2000's sometime, as they only recently stopped being made I am not sure how to date one exactly. Email dig-it in Japan for clarification maybe?

cool info on the freecoaste dr.robotnik-do they still make 12t rear cogs?as i've got an old static freecoaster hub+want to run 32/12 gearing

Try searching on ebay, I got mine for a couple of $ shipped as there is no market for them. Here's a 13T but it's more expensive than I paid...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KORE-FREECOASTER-COG-13T-BMX-18-/310217430627?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483a665663

oldschool rider

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 04:31 PM »

Cheers mate. I'm interested in checking out a 14mm freecoaster but haven't heard great things about any. One will come up for the right price I'm sure though.

I run a Khe Astern 14mm Freecoaster and It hasn't given me any probs but it's a 36h.

Steve :daumenhoch:

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 06:32 PM »

I run a Khe Astern 14mm Freecoaster and It hasn't given me any probs but it's a 36h.

Steve :daumenhoch:

I am a big boy at 14.5 stone and rising and don't have much luck with 36H on the front, let alone the rear. Bizzarely I do OK with axles but pretzel rims like it's going out of fashion. My front wheel (Marmoset to Ribcage) rubs my fork and my rear rubs my chain stay.

I haven't heard the greatest things about KHE clones, I have yet to have one for a long term test though and the couple I've tried seem fine to me. I am just not ready to risk my cash. I'm waiting for the G-coaster! :idiot2:

Also here for anyone still interested in Nankai hop-ups, are two new London bikes Ti axles. I knocked part of my pc behind my desk while I was fixing it today and there they were! They'd been missing for ages, I haven't been able to find them for the past couple of weeks and had thought they were somewhere else entirely.

I have never run them because the week they arrived I snapped my 10mm front axle, so was wary of putting them in the rear!!!! :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  nankai freecoaster

gfxgfx
gfx gfx