gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 05:51 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  new to bike building
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: new to bike building  (Read 974 times)

GavinKent

new to bike building
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:29 PM »
i'm looking to switch frames yet again and would rather not keep paying the bike shop £50 to do it each time, so i'm looking to learn myself - plus i want to play around with the bikes myself.  i can manage the easy stuff like seat post and pedals and even putting grips on :D but the crank and headset etc., are a bit beyond my knowledge - and i don't even remember touching them on my BMX as a kid.  i have a collection of general tools but could anyone let me know of a good crank tool for a 1-piece?  plus, is there any good site on here that acts as a manual?  and any info on MX brakes? 

any advice/info would be very much appreciated as i'm extremely concerned that i'll be riding a bike that i built!!   :police:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: new to bike building
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:35 PM »
ive got a park tools bearing cup press. think it was about £60 and a park tools crank / headset 32/30mm spanner. you can knock out the headset and bb cups using a screwdriver and a mallet. always grease em when fitting em and they will be easier to fit / remove  :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Glens got it spot on :daumenhoch: also check out youtube as they're is a lot of geezer's doing video's that teach and tell you what to do and what tools ya need :daumenhoch:

wirewheel

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:29 AM »
decent block of wood and a good hammer is all you need. and a decent steel bar to knock cups out with. pointless going spending a ton on tools. just use common sense knock em in straight and you are fine, hit it check it, if its going pissed up knock it out again start over again. grease is your friend....

adeshere

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:26 AM »
I use a bench vice to put in the bottom bracket cups .. piece of cake  ( no thats not a tool  :LolLolLolLol: )

sweetbeats

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:33 AM »
There's a cool bmx maintenance book on here as a pdf proper retro and really simple I had it saved on my old computer can anyone remember it's name?
Might help the lad out anyway  :daumenhoch:

GavinKent

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:52 PM »
thanks for the advice all - and if anyone knows how to get hold of the maintenance book, would appreciate it

mark 2

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Type Sheldon Brown on google, you'll find all sorts of info there

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  new to bike building

gfxgfx
gfx gfx