gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What brands are you mainly interested in and why?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What brands are you mainly interested in and why?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
What brands are you mainly interested in and why?
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Out of interest who on here is mainly interested in one brand of BMX, we're talking Old-School here btw.

Is it a recent interest, were you aware of the brand bitd, how many do you own and why that brand?

Though I dibble a little with Diamond Back, I love Mongoose though whenever I've purchased another make they've soon been moved on.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: What brands are you mainly interested in and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Hutch for me.  I had a Trickstar for my 13th birthday and that was my one and only bike for the next 10 years till it went missing  :-\  Couple years ago i bought another to build it like mine bitd and the collecting started (and got out of hand) from there.
I have had other bikes in the last year too, most got sold but I recently built a Haro which i still have here, but other than that i have a few TS's and a Pro Racer at the moment.

magna13

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:44 AM »
its not even a bike company but i'm mainly into JT Racing. The company provided some amazing kit that my old man used during his era of motocross in the 80's, seeing photo's of my dad using JT and then seeing races & pictures of BMX riders using it instantly made me think it was like a motocross rider on a BMX, the only thing not used within the two sports was the boots. The kit came in the proper colourways you needed to go with your Motocross bike or BMX! The ALS-1 helmet has to be the most iconic, glamourous helmet to have entered both sports and if JT Racing were to get back into both sports they would be rolling in it...

dannywhiteley

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Rebel and Skyway for me.

Rebelcos my mate had one when I was a kid, and Skyway cos of all those back page ads in BMX Action.  The logos also play a big part, very iconic.

Rodgy1970

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Raleigh Burner was first bike so have a soft spot for them.

Mainly GT Pro Nora Cup was my dream bike and don't know how but managed to get hold of one BITD.

Also lusted after PK Ripper and Skyway TA's BITD so like them too, maybe one day.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:58 AM »
s&m bikes for me (before anyone says they arent oldschool they started out in 87 :LolLolLolLol:)

my first rider owned company frame was a s&m holmes and was the first frame i rode with a 21in toptube and it felt perfect, all the haros, gt's, bully's, kuwhara's etc i had before the holmes were 20in toptube and felt cramped and didnt last, ive never broke a s&m and i just like moeller's attitude to riding, just go and ride with mates and have fun, watch any s&m vid and you will see what i mean and 23 years after they were started the attitude is the same and they are still one of the leading rider owned companies, how many others can say that!!!

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:13 PM »
mainly haro's for me but also like trickstars,ta's,ammaco freestylers mainly freestyle but you just gotta love them ta's :smitten:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 12:33 PM »
SE errr SE and

SE

I think its because they were the first (popular) alloy framed BMX and the designs were just that little bit out of the norm (Quad  :daumenhoch: )

Just a pity what’s happened to them now  :'(

The other Brand I liked was Zeronine and CW they always had the advertising  image of "the rebels"
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Anything Old to be honest, i prefer the rarer bikes than the run of the mill Skyways, Hutch's and Quadangles.

Thankfully i'm not a BMX snob. Anything goes in my book.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Rodgy1970

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Right now really likin the mid to late 70's bikes with the box bars and lesters and motomag, puch murrays, mongooses, rampars  :smitten:

monkian

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 02:41 PM »
I love all the little design / tech nuances you can see across brands.
These days, usually something out of the ordinary catches my eye.
Something a bit different with era correct parts does it for me.

I'm with rodgy at the moment. Especially after going through Dennis' awesome thread on the early days :daumenhoch:
70's era is something I've never really looked at in detail before. Always learning.

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 03:04 PM »
ive had a fiddle with a few, all old school really...

would love to have a go at a gorilla at some stage...and a profile champ pro...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 06:09 PM »

When I got back into BMX I only wanted to build a replica of my first mongoose (81 minigoose) and fancied a supergoose 2 as that's the bike I always dreamed about as a kid............

It's got a little bit out of hand since then  :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

I dunno.... I just love the brand and love the fact that they were around through the whole development of the BMX scene. I love the 70's nickel geese with ashtabula forks and messinger seats and knobbly tyres, through the early 80's chrome gusset geese with the red/blue/yellow or black colour schemes and vinyl pads and then onto the pro-class, cali era frames - there's so many of the fookers to collect  :D

I love all the original stamped mongoose parts. I think they were one of the first companies to have third parties manufacture parts for their complete bikes but have the mongoose brand name stamped on it all. Headsets,BBs,cranks,reflectors it's all there.

And the off-shoot companies that BMX products made variants of the mongoose frame for are cool too - Jag,Blue max etc. and of course the DeCoster which they made for Schwinn.

And I love the fact that nothing is simple with mongoose when you are a collector  :LolLolLolLol:

There always seems to be an exception to every rule you find with mongoose and I enjoy the research and odd-ball finds when they pop up.

At times I think I'd like another brand in the stable but I can't see that happening for a good while - got enough frames to keep me going here for at least a year !

My mate had a Haro sport when we were groing up, another lad had a DB etc. - be nice to build up the old crew of bikes but I'm happy with me geese for now.............. :angel:

:daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 06:17 PM »
haro....there is only one
haro, how do you do

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 06:19 PM »
anything british race -f&f clothing bars etc :Great_Britain:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

moanjam

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 06:29 PM »
mongoose, race inc, skyway and torker , in that order of importance also as the first 3 were my 3 rides in that order and torker as my mate had one and always loved the twin top tubes

firebird4130

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 07:38 PM »
s&m, homeless, mid school parts and clothing companies that were around. Also like some bikes I have a link with like had an 80's gt mach one in the 90's, dp firebird given to me after my mate accidently hammered a massive dent into tha gt, I've bought both these frames and let them go again,it's a bit like fishing really  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 08:26 PM »
not bmx but vans for me,couldn't afford them when i was a kid so now i'm allways buying them

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 10:44 PM »
DP for me, specifically the freestylers  :daumenhoch: Have had about 13 of them though my hands over the last few years and still have 4 complete builds including my original from bitd.

Have built lots of other brands which I remember/lusted after bitd including Haro, Mongoose, Skyway, Diamond Back and Raleigh but most of these have now been sold on to fund the DP addiction  ::)

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 10:49 PM »
i like tuf neck pro neck bits. nicest stems and power discs. the make i like the most is skyway, but i don't have one.  :-\
ding dong

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 11:24 PM »
 :) S.E Racing and I have big love for JMCs..

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Kuwahara for me  :)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 04:25 PM »

SE - because of the iconic frame designs.

GT - but just the 84 Pro Performer

HUTCH - for the bling!

SKYWAY - for the same reason as SE

HOFFMAN - because it's Mat fooking Hoffman

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 11:31 PM »
anything skyway, diamond back,  gt ( but just the american made stuff ) skyway, anything tuf neck, skyway, dia compe, shimano, mushrooms in odi and sm flavours, skyway, arayas comp III's and did i mention skyway  :smitten:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Most old school quality brands for me, Tuf Neck, Haro, Suntour, A'ME, Patterson, Robinson, etc.  Really quirky stuff too, Vector MKII, Hoffman and most of all I love my Scorpion  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What brands are you mainly interested in and why?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx