gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Uneven tyre fit
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Uneven tyre fit  (Read 829 times)

murakami

Uneven tyre fit
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:50 AM »
I'm just finishing off rebuilding an mongoose sniper frame. Not a major restoration but
more of a clean up (still plenty of pitting left) than a restoration, but it's my first attempt. I put new tyres on yesterday and can't get them to sit evenly. Part of the tyre nips in completely while the rest sits evenly on the rim. No-one I know has ever had this happen before, any of you guys seen similar?

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Uneven tyre fit
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I've had it on some tyres. If you pump the tyre up just a bit you can go round the tyre lifting it up or pushing it down so it's even all round. Do that both sides and then pump it up.

It's worked for me, wasn't sure if it's just Tuffs that are a bit funny or if it was a cheap or badly made tyre.

Rodgy1970

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22 AM »
I've had it on some tyres. If you pump the tyre up just a bit you can go round the tyre lifting it up or pushing it down so it's even all round. Do that both sides and then pump it up.

It's worked for me, wasn't sure if it's just Tuffs that are a bit funny or if it was a cheap or badly made tyre.

Worked for me too

Tuffs do seem to be pain though

magna13

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:36 AM »
put a tad of air into the tyre whilst its on the rim then go round the outter edge of both sides with water mixed with fairy washing up liquid and this should pop both sides out evenly :daumenhoch:

murakami

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Thanks guys. Washing up liquid is my new wd40. Must try and not use too much this time, still hasn't dried under the grips yet.

ozone

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Thanks guys. Washing up liquid is my new wd40. Must try and not use too much this time, still hasn't dried under the grips yet.

Use hairspray for grips matey.  It's great but still needs to be left for a day or so before use.  (if it's for a rider that is)  :daumenhoch:

monkian

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 03:37 PM »
Just be a bit careful, washing up liquid will eventually rot through rubber. People who use it in their wind-screen washer bottles on cars have to change the window seals more often.
Not sure what the disintegration rate is but maybe a friendlier alternative might be best if using vintage / expensive rubber.

:daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Uneven tyre fit

gfxgfx
gfx gfx