gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 07:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  CANT UNDERSTAND SOME COLLECTORS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CANT UNDERSTAND SOME COLLECTORS  (Read 6531 times)

UKBMXER1

CANT UNDERSTAND SOME COLLECTORS
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Not saying there is anything wrong with it .......BUT 

i cant understand how sombody can be a collector of osbmx when they are continuously building up a bike 

They dont have it for 5 minutes then sell it on for a small or large profit either way in my eyes they are not bmx collectors , they may be into osbmx as a hobby and not for monetary gain but all the same they are not collectors

Maybe they just enjoy building up bikes....? thoughts

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: CANT UNDERSTAND SOME COLLECTORS
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Each to their own i say .

I collect .
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:07 PM »
Some say the exciting bit is sourcing the parts and building it, bit like them Tamiya RC cars, awesome fun to build but once you have ran it round the garden twice you get bored and move on to the next thing...

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17 PM »
yeah each to their own and not everyone knows whether sometimes they are going to make a profit or not....

just ask the ebayer who's nos grips i just won for £17 :2funny:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:28 PM »
yeah each to their own and not everyone knows whether sometimes they are going to make a profit or not....

just ask the ebayer who's nos grips i just won for £17 :2funny:

mushroom mad you are paul  :-X

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:46 PM »
maybe its a question of cash
i only have 2 bikes,not a fat lot in collecting terms,but to do another build,id have to sell one of these to fund it
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:49 PM »
100% collector - I'm also happy to help folk out  :daumenhoch:

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 10:50 PM »
i only have 2 bikes,not a fat lot in collecting terms,but to do another build,id have to sell one of these to fund it

stop fibbing , your the king of yardley , did ya want us to put your money under the patio :LolLolLolLol:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 10:55 PM »
I am a collector, always have been and always will be.  And not just BMX, as far back as I can remember its been football shirts, those little warhammer figures, vintage star wars toys, building oldschool VW's, collecting vintage clothing (Adidas, Nike, Tacchini etc) and its always been about the chase.  Once you have sourced, bought and owned a piece its usually not as cool as the thought of owning it.  So people get bored, move on and sell it and look for the next piece.

I once set about locating a vintage 1983 Sergio Tacchini Dallas tracksuit cos a mate in school had one and I was always jealous of him.  I evetually found one (before all these reissues came about) and paid £175 for it.  When it arrived I looked at it, tried it on and realised i'd never wear it and eventually sold it on for £250.  Bought a reissue in the end for £30 that didnt matter it it got snagged in the pub.

I am currently into vintage 'casual' clothing, Stone Island, CP Company, Lacoste, Paul & Shark etc, not new from shops but scoured from ebay, charity shops etc.  Some I keep, some I sell.  Its all about the chase.

Most antique dealers are the same, pieces get moved around from person to person.  Its only tends to be the pieces with real sentimental value that are real keepers, whether that is your original bike from BITD that you would never sell, and old trackie that you got for your 12 birthday, or a family heirloom that is practically worthless but worth a fortune in sentiment.

Not always about $$$, although if you play any of these games well you dont have to come out 'out of pocket'.

A lot of this shit is easy come easy go.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:05 PM by dannywhiteley »

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:41 PM »

stop fibbing , your the king of yardley , did ya want us to put your money under the patio :LolLolLolLol:
fook the money,get that changa under there
and the new hair gel you been using :daumenhoch:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:46 PM »
I think my motto should be

" Buy for big  money  , sell for a loss "  :D  :crazy2:

That's why I keep most of my stuff now  :LolLolLolLol:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:49 PM »
 :) I used to get narked about collectors that never ride BMXs anymore but am now of the opinion that they`re still contributing to BMX in their own weird way! Ie,they do keep the history alive and are often a wealth of useful info,good luck to them :daumenhoch:

safc1

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 11:52 PM »

i cant understand how sombody can be a collector of osbmx when they are continuously building up a bike 

They dont have it for 5 minutes then sell it on for a small or large profit either way in my eyes they are not bmx collectors , they may be into osbmx as a hobby and not for monetary gain but all the same they are not collectors

do you collect ukbmxer ?

safc1

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 11:54 PM »

A lot of this shit is easy come easy go.

:daumenhoch:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Whats to have an opinion on  ???, i been building bikes 6 yrs, im not rich enough to buy endlessly, i sell to build, i dont sell for profit, if you built enough bikes you will realise that very few builds end in profit and most in loss.

I have no opinion on anyones hobbies and what they do to fund them either, i dont see why you think anyone needs to conform to what you think is a collector at all  :)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 12:10 AM »
My opinion is this..... Who's fooking business is it what anyone does with the bikes they own?

Rodgy1970

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Most hobbies that involve collecting also involve trade amongst collectors, this has to happen for such a hobby to continue to exist.

gossa

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 12:42 AM »
I'm not a collector, i've restored more bikes for other people (only close friends) than I have for myself and normally with me ending up out of pocket.

Agree with Stidds here though.......

Roboprop

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 01:03 AM »
I wouldn't consider myself to be a builder or a collector, just a big fan who grew up riding old school bikes.

neiljonarcus

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 07:12 AM »
i have chicken pox at the age of 41 and and it hurts  :'( :'( :'(

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 07:19 AM »

I have no opinion on anyones hobbies

i have an opinion on yours , it ain't right and its sick , poor fooking sheep

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49 AM »

The bit were you tried to steal a traffic cone, and got caught man, classic. And your stalker, Mentalist  ;D radio Norwich

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 11:07 AM »

The bit were you tried to steal a traffic cone, and got caught man, classic. And your stalker, Mentalist  ;D radio Norwich
DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN DAN

UKBMXER1

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30 AM »

do you collect ukbmxer ?

I am a collector , i find it takes far too much time and money too  source the parts just to build up a bike that one really really wants just to sell it on. I do however believe that it isnt my buissiness what anybody else does in this hobby some may just get a thrill out of sourcing parts and the build, me .....i like look at my builds every day in the flesh and not just a photo.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 11:35 AM »

do you collect ukbmxer ?

I am a collector , i find it takes far too much time and money too  source the parts just to build up a bike that one really really wants just to sell it on. I do however believe that it isnt my buissiness what anybody else does in this hobby some may just get a thrill out of sourcing parts and the build, me .....i like look at my builds every day in the flesh and not just a photo.

Lets have a look then ???
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  CANT UNDERSTAND SOME COLLECTORS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx