gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline PL20 colour scheme advice.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline PL20 colour scheme advice.  (Read 1073 times)

darkslider

Redline PL20 colour scheme advice.
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Had a PL20 II for a while and slowly gathering bits. Am doing it as a 79 with Redline Proline racing frames decals and pads. Frame is painted white but forks are chrome. Shall I strip forks and paint white? Or strip frame and re-chrome? Or leave as is paint is good and chrome is 8 or 9 out of 10. I know they only did early ones in chrome, white or metallic red. Also have red Ukai's lined up. Would   red skinwalls look OTT on red wheels?

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Redline PL20 colour scheme advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:34 PM »
some nice options and choices to have. would look nice as is tbh a bit different. or all white too.. but for me i love chrome bikes so off to a decent chromers it would go. red tan walls would look great on the red rims as well :daumenhoch:

regards dave

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Redlines should only ever be Red ::)

If you want another colour get another make of bike :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

darkslider

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Cheers guys if I build as is would be different, RL 20 stylee. Soz Ratty can't be red decals are red LOL! How much is decent chroming,who's good? Do like chrome myself too. 79's are only red or white, think factory sponsored were chrome. Still need proline bars, fluted cromo post. Can't tell when the posts fitted like! Could live with a red alloy one to go with red anno bits!

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:57 AM »
Scrap the red decals get some white over a red frame, or white frame red decals..... chrome wouldn't be era incorrect, but considering 99% of the framesets left out there were factory red or white with contrasting decals (couple of chrome ones done as a prequel to mass producing the Proline a couple years later) Greg Hill rode a chrome one for a short period.Stu was pretty much constantly on chrome (based on magazine timeline of photos taken throughout the years)

I have a full 79 brochure here and they say the frames were avail in red,white and chrome, but as Chrome was quite a hefty premium not many were prepared to shell out for one hence most survivors you see are painted.

Depends what you are trying to achieve for the build. Authentic or just pretty.

darkslider

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Pretty authentic is sort of the look I'm after. Is that brochure the one with the work of art as a front cover? Tried to win one but got outbid,would love a copy! Had a look at decals has the white ones as well!  Would think if you used white decals on red, the Proline racing frames text would be hard to see as black letters. "I like the white bike but also like the chrome! Which one is best? Fiiiight!"

gt0733

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:28 PM »
well considering it's a PL-20 and not a genuine '79 proline frame i doubt having it chromed really matters. if the fork has decent chrome then have the frame chromed as well and use your red decals. what's the serial on your frame?

darkslider

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Just noticed a couple of scratches in paint and I can see chrome underneath! Serial is 505867 with oval logo! Remember previous owner saying it used to be chrome. Didn't realise it was still there under paint!

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:53 PM »
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Read this...

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=38524.0

It's good :daumenhoch:

Like Ron says... was one of the longest and best threads on RAD  :daumenhoch:

darkslider

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Yeah that thread was killer! Had a good few posts in there, might be a pic of my F+F if its still a valid link. Can't upload photo's last time I tried.

gt0733

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 06:55 AM »
Just noticed a couple of scratches in paint and I can see chrome underneath! Serial is 505867 with oval logo! Remember previous owner saying it used to be chrome. Didn't realise it was still there under paint!

yeah that'll be around 1984 with that serial.
a lot of the transitional frames from proline to proline-II had the early font decals on them so yours won't look out of place with them on.

gt0733

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 06:56 AM »
Read this...

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=38524.0

It's good :daumenhoch:

you're not wrong, in fact i still have it in my favourites list  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline PL20 colour scheme advice.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx